Jambands.ca

Tax Cuts!

Basher

no, i don't take part in canadian politics on a street level. i don't even like politics very much hehe :P

my 'outrage' was not politically bent here, it was to what *i* felt was a bit of posturing and ingratitude i was reading (*imo*). it gave me the same feeling as that 'new shoes' thread from way back, so i reacted the same way. namely, that if you are given something and you *really* say you don't want it, then don't accept it, otherwise accept it gracefully.

of course i didn't expect anyone to say yeah i'll give my money back to the PCs! hehe i was just trying to make a point about putting your money where your mouth is.

maybe i could have taken a different approach, say something like, ok for all those who are *really* concerned about the program cuts they feel are associated with these rebates, then i'll set up a 'fund' which everyone can put their rebate into, and it will be distributed directly to programs according to the people's wishes. now, would people actually go for that? i don't think so cuz i think in the end people want that tax rebate and will use it themselves. and that's cool - normally i would not tell people what to do with their money or anything, BUT if yer gonna go and say you don't want the money....

you know the rest, i release the cracken whip.gif

we all see/read through our filters though. if you were offended, sorry. (my bitchin at bouche was just cousinly 'love' though :P )

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was just trying to make a point about putting your money where your mouth is.

maybe i could have taken a different approach, say something like, ok for all those who are *really* concerned about the program cuts they feel are associated with these rebates, then i'll set up a 'fund' which everyone can put their rebate into, and it will be distributed directly to programs according to the people's wishes. now, would people actually go for that? i don't think so...

pure gold and so f'ing true.

same as the last GST cut, not really much good to you unless you're making a large purchase and'll probably cost you extra from another angle

was a good article in the Torona Star the other day about why its not really a great economic move (though Ottawa can easily afford it right now) but makes sense politically for the Conservatives (but isn't boosting their ratings as much as was hoped for)

i was just trying to make a point about putting your money where your mouth is.

maybe i could have taken a different approach' date=' say something like, ok for all those who are *really* concerned about the program cuts they feel are associated with these rebates, then i'll set up a 'fund' which everyone can put their rebate into, and it will be distributed directly to programs according to the people's wishes. now, would people actually go for that? i don't think so... [/quote']

pure gold and so f'ing true.

So when are you guys setting this up?

I don't think we should have to. If people claim to be conscientious enough to care about what the effects the GST cuts will have on social spending, should they not be able to donate that money themselves? Sorry, but without pointing fingers as I really don't know, it just reeks of hypocrisy to me. If you want to make a difference, friggin' make a difference. Why rely on some government entity, which considering the volatility of the economy may not be a sure shot, to do the work for you?

Edited by Guest

I don't think we should have to. If people claim to be conscientious enough to care about what the effects the GST cuts will have on social spending' date=' should they not be able to donate that money themselves? Sorry, but without pointing fingers as I really don't know, it just reeks of hypocrisy to me. If you want to make a difference, friggin' make a difference. Why rely on some government entity, which considering the volatility of the economy may not be a sure shot, to do the work for you? [/quote']

Sorry, I thought phorbesie had offered to set up a fund. My bad.

i can certainly do so if you're interested ollie (i didn't imagine anyone would but good on ya) :)

which service cuts (dept/agency) are you specifically concerned about? i can look into organizations that would allocate it satisfactorily to you.

do you want to just commit 231$ (or what you work out your associated income tax rebate to be) for 2007, 2008 or will it be a yearly gift? hehe