Jambands.ca

Caribou or formerly known as Manitoba?

Ol'Hickster

Love em. Liked Manitou better when it didn't sound like Brian Wilson on a synclavier....saw them live a couple times with double drummers and crazy projections, good fun. Yes it's brilliant but you know what? I'm not that big a fan of 'pet sounds' either and it's brilliant...there I said it.

Anyways, definitely some cool sounds, manitou hit a bit harder...wasn't until he started trying to sing that the focus was lost...

I listened to it today. It's some pretty neat, out there, experimental jazz. It reminds me of John Zorn - light.

At times the disc is really good, but I find the songs lack in "going anywhere". I realize it's pretty free-form stuff, but so is Pat Metheny and his songs tend to go somewhere.

Truth be told, the disc I have reminds me most closely of a disc by someone who is useless to compare to, named Ken Valitsky, because no one seems to have heard of him. (Anyone who wants a copy of a Ken Valitsky disc, PT me. Maybe I'll get around to sending something.)

Caribou's The Milk of Human Kindness is a brilliant album.. Definitely one of my favourites of last year (or the year before probably). I'm still warming up to Andorra but I am enjoying it so far. (And yes I like Pet Sounds so that helps!)

Caribou is in Toronto this Saturday.. I'm hoping to go but not sure yet. I've heard from several people and reviews that the Caribou guys come across as really arrogant as well as boring on stage.

Unfocused?

It's entirely intentional.

I saw them first at Lees for the Up in Flames tour. they played in sequence and have huge arrangements for samples, guitar, 2xdrums, and vocals.

this time through they havbe a bass player and sound waaaay more 60's psych pop.

they're doing their own thing and are well worth any efforts the chameleon will urge you to save.