Jambands.ca

This just doesn't seem right......

Dr. J

Was talking to James yesterday.

On Saturday, he and the band (Spades) were returning from a series of shows in Quebec when they got pulled over by the cops about 10 mins. from the Ontario border. The reason given was that the sticker on their licence plate was 2 days out of date. They explained that they had been working in Quebec, but would have it taken care of as soon as they got home.

No deal. They were given a $430.00 fine.

Just doesn't seem right to me. Is that reasonable grounds for being pulled over in Quebec? Is that a reasonable fine for such an infraction? Any suggestions about what they should do?

Yes. The vehicle was not licensed to be on the road, therefore, it wasn't even insured.

The cop had the discretion to give some time for James to remediate this, but chose not to exercise that discretion. That's the cop's choice.

Short answer: Methinks the band is "S.O.L" as we say in law.

I understand what people are saying regarding one accepting responsibility for one's actions. Believe me that's a message I've preached, personally and professionally, for many years.

It's just that the amount of the fine struck me as being excessive compared to what happens in Ontario.....but maybe as Davey boy says it's Ontario that's out of whack!

They are usually pretty strict when it comes to expired stickers in Ontario too. They don't often give you a chance to get the sticker and then nullify the ticket.

I was lucky last week and got all my expired stuff reactivated (emissions test, plate stickers, driver's licence, OHIP card). It would have just been my luck to get nailed driving with an expired licence and stickers.

I was lucky last week and got all my expired stuff reactivated (emissions test, plate stickers, driver's licence, OHIP card). It would have just been my luck to get nailed driving with an expired licence and stickers.

Don't you mean to say you were motivated enough last week to get your stuff renewed? How does luck play into any of this?

Except for the luck that you hope to run into a cop with discretion.

I think it was LUCK that I didn't get pulled over by a cop looking to fill end-of-the-month-quotas and hit the jackpot with me! :D

Fucking meter maid nailed us with a ticket for stopping in a no stopping zone (car was still running and the wife was in the car). No warning, no nothing (and not on one of the busy streets either). $60 later, FUCK! That was as much as the speeding ticket my wife got in a school zone!

i think, technically, you only have until the actual birthdate of the registered owner, not until the end of the month of that birthdate. the 'grace' period already given was the balance of the month.

still. sucks. sounds like a callous cash grab, nothing more. obviously they were looking for "green" stickers (or whatever).

I got stopped in Toronto for having a sticker that was months past it's time. She gave me a warning, and when I got back to Ottawa I updated it. If I hadn't cut the cop off, thus forcing her to be behind me, I'd probably still be driving with expired stickers.

That's good policing.

Hmmmmmmmm.

To play Devil's Advocate, and for argument's sake:

Velvet pulls back onto the highway after the nice cop let him go. Velvet causes an accident later that day, by hitting a pedestrian paralyzing that person for life. Insurance company denies coverage due to unregistered vehicle. Paralyzed person has only Velvet to go after. Velvet does not have vast sums of money to pay the claim. Paralyzed person lives with whatever money can be extracted from Velvet.

Lessee here. Velvet wouldn't have been on the road if the cop had his car towed away right then, pending updating his registration. He would next be on the road when his car was properly registered and insured, so if something like this happened there would be a pot of money to pay Paralyzed-Guy, who is now living without income or any way to take care of himself, unless he pays for it.

Do you think Paralyzed-Guy would consider that good policing?

speaking of cutting off cops. two months ago, a kid in a rubber band honda scooted his way along a single line of traffic which narrowed due to construction. he tried to force his way in front of the car in front of me which happened to be an unmarked cop car, who proceeded to scream at him "what the fuck is your problem?" the kid froze and as far as I know is still sitting there dumbfounded.

Fucking meter maid nailed us with a ticket for stopping in a no stopping zone (car was still running and the wife was in the car). No warning, no nothing (and not on one of the busy streets either). $60 later, FUCK! That was as much as the speeding ticket my wife got in a school zone!

Was she stopped in a no stopping zone? If so, then I can understand the fine. There are too many people that stop in the worst no stopping places and put on their hazards as if to say "I'll just be a minute". I wish everyone of them to get a ticket.

You and your wife deserved a $60 fine for ever other car that you incovenienced and I hope that you learned your lesson.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Velvet pulls back onto the highway after the nice cop let him go. Velvet causes an accident later that day, by hitting a pedestrian paralyzing that person for life. Insurance company denies coverage due to unregistered vehicle. Paralyzed person has only Velvet to go after. Velvet does not have vast sums of money to pay the claim. Paralyzed person lives with whatever money can be extracted from Velvet.

Lessee here. Velvet wouldn't have been on the road if the cop had his car towed away right then, pending updating his registration. He would next be on the road when his car was properly registered and insured, so if something like this happened there would be a pot of money to pay Paralyzed-Guy, who is now living without income or any way to take care of himself, unless he pays for it.

You devil, you.

Hmmmmmmmm.

That happened to me once. i felt really shitty about it but everything was settled in a foot race.

Was she stopped in a no stopping zone? If so, then I can understand the fine. There are too many people that stop in the worst no stopping places and put on their hazards as if to say "I'll just be a minute". I wish everyone of them to get a ticket.

You and your wife deserved a $60 fine for ever other car that you incovenienced and I hope that you learned your lesson.

Hey oh ... I fully understand and I paid the ticket. My problem with it was the fact that we were on a street where the stopping made absolutely NO impact on the flow of traffic. Trust me, I sit on streets for ages while one car/truck is stopped and reduces the street to one lane. I wish they would target THOSE instead. Any other time of the month (not the end when quotas are due) have they ever ticketed where we were.

There are too many people that stop in the worst no stopping places and put on their hazards as if to say "I'll just be a minute". I wish everyone of them to get a ticket.

Hee hee. Just like the people who block the entrance to my building's parking lot while they "pop" in to the convenience store. I'd like to pop their tires I tell you what.

Any other time of the month (not

the end when quotas are due) have they ever ticketed where we were.

I don't understand where this "end of the month quota" is coming from. I mean like do you know that without a doubt there is such a system? I'm of the belief that it is just a myth.