Jambands.ca

No middle name

Velvet

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people have suggested many names for me Bradm, and Joseph is thus far the kindest.

I don't know what made me suggest it; it just seemed to work somehow (and cadence well with your first and last names).

I won't risk stealing one of my brothers middle names 'cuz one of them is Leslie.

My parents gave me my Dad's first name as my middle name, which I like a lot: it's better than having had my first name be the same as his (which would almost "impose" a legacy thing on me), but at the same time, I know I carry a form of his identity in my name.

Though I will admit, theer is something a tad unique about not having a middle name that I sometimes like

How about just a single letter / initial (see Harry S. Truman)?

Aloha,

Brad

Y'know, I have no middle name* and it kind of bugs me. I mean, given that my first name is not morphable a la Robert or James, I get zero options on renaming myself.

I wonder how rare this is. Anyone else out there have no middle name?

*my only brother got two middle names.

This thread reminds me that when I was a kid I wanted to change my name to Todd because I was tired of all the ribbing I got with mine. Maybe I can trade my first and middle names for your one? ;)

When you're a kid without a middle name, how does the usual progression of severity of your mom or dad calling you work? Usually, it goes:

• first name (short form) : everything's cool
  • first name (long form) : maybe cool, maybe not
  • first name (long form) + middle name : uh-oh
  • first name (long form) + middle name + last name : book a flight to Utah, it's all over

But without a middle name, is it (and level 3 completely) left out?

Aloha,

Brad

Don't forget the Charles/Diana screwup - maybe that shit don't end up right.

Conversely, I've got the hopelessly generic name "John" right next the the hopelessly generic name "David", which means both of mine are pretty, well, generic. I go by my middle name, which on some level has always felt ok, though there was one occasion at a party in Kingston when I found myself in a room of fourteen people, twelve of whom were named "Dave". Handily, there appeared soon afterwards the Kids in the Hall tune, along with the Rheostatics tune, so Dave has been good with me ever since :) .

I dunno, thinking back to the premise for this thread - if ever I hear so much as the word "velvet" in a sentence, I can't help but make the association back here. Maybe that's what it's all about.