Jambands.ca

Hamilton to Build "Massey Hall" Like Venue

secondtube

On the Corner of King St and Hess St.

" The concert theatre, based on the House of Blues venue in Dallas, will make the village an attraction year round and help with noise complaints by bringing music inside, said Moodie. "I think we'll see a lot more restaurants instead of bars in the village." "

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/279162

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some confidence that things are changing for the better in downtown Hamilton. I know, I've worked down here for over eight years now and I walk these streets daily. You see some condos being built, old eyesores being torn down and replaced with new buildings, art galleries opening, etc.

However, I don't really see much potential for a new venue the size of Massey Hall, at least as far as music goes. And doesn't Theatre Aquarius already serve the dance/theatre scene already? It could be good if HECFI isn't allowed to graft their arcane style of "beaurocracy" onto it, leaving the local promoters with less redtape and back-slapping in order to have access to a sizeable venue. Not wanting to be too cynical but let's be honest - Hamilton Place is a beautiful venue roughly the size of Massey Hall, and interesting acts aren't really re-routing from the likes of Massey Hall itself to play it too often. I know it doesn't sit empty, but it's kind of a B-list whistle stop.

And - practical question - where would all the 20 year old yahoos go if Hess isn't appealing to them? They're not just going to sit in their dorms or crackhouses.

Good points Marco, esp. re: Hamilton Place. Aquarius, Club Seventy Seven - it's not like there are too many shows happening at these places and we need another venue.

Furthermore, the guy building the thing owns a bunch of bars in Hess and was convicted of a terrible sexual assault against one of his employees this past summer - read what a dirtbag this guy is.

Furthermore, the guy building the thing owns a bunch of bars in Hess and was convicted of a terrible sexual assault against one of his employees this past summer - read what a dirtbag this guy is.

you know, I did a google search on that name because I thought it was the same asshole I recognized from the paper..... nothing came up on a quick search that way, but sure, enough it's the guy.

great, so the guy who bought pubs in Hess, turned them into dance bars where he fondled his staff (to take his mind of prostitution charges I guess) is now spearheading a theatre in Hess for the arts? Why doesn't he just open up a sleazy strip club there and do what he's good at?

what a fucking creep.

Hamilton is really ripe for a major downtown makeover and urban renewal. Many people that don't want to live in the burbs and blight around Toronto are looking to Hamilton, which, if the town council have any kind of foresight, will be into improving the downtown core. I hope this proposed new hall helps.

Hey, and what's better than catching an ABA game at Copps and then hitting up a concert in a new concert hall?

I'm not a basketball fan, but I totally agree with ya Jaimoe.

Thats another thing I think would make this type of venue work, normally Hamilton Place shows stop serving alcohol by 9-10pm (earlier some shows), don't serve during the show and the shows are usually over by 11-11:30pm at the latest. having a venue that has shows that run later then midnight would be a serious plus, especially on a weekend.

Also, one peeve of mine about Hamilton Place is you are never allowed to stand during the show, let alone dance - I may not dance, but with my back problems, sitting all night isn't something I enjoy so I usually have to go stand in the lobby for 5-10 minutes missing the show and can't even step out for s smoke since the doors are closed and locked during the show.

I believe stuff like that is a big reason more bands don't play there. Hopefully if this venue is bulit, they won't follow suit.

Here is the layout of the HoB in Dalls, much like all HoBs ...

hmmmmm, i've never been in a HoB that was an actual sit-down theatre, they have all just been big open bars, maybe with a railing/balcony.

i just dont see how this plan is at all feasible, and wonder if it's a charade of some sort. the site is much smaller than I'd think it would need to be to have a facility this big. financing would be an enormous undertaking for a local developer. and i just can't see hecfi supporting it (and thus the city).

this guy happens to be one of the those that got caught, allegedly.

It's not really a matter of allegations anymore, man, he admitted to it and has been sentenced. Did you read what he did to that girl? I don't think you'd be shrugging it off as a symptom of the industry if she was your sister or girlfriend (with due respect). He is a degenerate pig indeed...I just wouldn't feel right stepping into the place.

this guy happens to be one of the those that got caught' date=' allegedly. [/quote']

It's not really a matter of allegations anymore, man, he admitted to it and has been sentenced. Did you read what he did to that girl? I don't think you'd be shrugging it off as a symptom of the industry if she was your sister or girlfriend (with due respect). He is a degenerate pig indeed...I just wouldn't feel right stepping into the place.

Sorry Rev, I didn't read it all. The guy should be shot.

i just dont see how this plan is at all feasible, and wonder if it's a charade of some sort. the site is much smaller than I'd think it would need to be to have a facility this big. financing would be an enormous undertaking for a local developer. and i just can't see hecfi supporting it (and thus the city).

Well, it does say it would be Massey Hall sized, based on HoB venue in Dallas, not that it would be the same size. And I'm sure there would be more then just the old buliding torn down, which covers pretty much the entire section from Hess to Queen almost, that and the space behind it would be more then enough in my opinion. I would imagine since he owns the building behind it as well it would come down, like what was planned for the 18-storey condo originally.

Who knows though, my point is more that Hamilton could use a venue that holds more then 700-800 people (77 Club) and caters to a more concert going crowd opposed to what Hamilton Place or Theater Aquarius caters to.

sigh...... you know, I want Hamilton to succeed as much as anyone, I love this city. And no, I don't have the magic answers as to how to make it work. But I don't know if we should be *knowingly* growing our attractions on the backs of pimps and sexual predators, like Vranich. The man opened a nightclub and assaulted one of his employees. He has a series of sexual assaults on his chit list. So, let's make a deal with him to open another project down the street?!? It launches a positive project in a negative light.

Also, again I'm a born pragmatist, not a cynic - but do we need another hotel? Is the Sheraton - one block away - at capacity any of the time, apart from a few weeks a year when a convention hits town?

I have a funny feeling this "House of Blues"-like venue will open as a live music venue and then quickly turn itself into a massive dance club and only perpetuate the problems of dealing/drunkenness/misbehaviour that really can be a problem for the Hess area.

Am I way off? Can Hamilton support a 1800-capacity live music venue? Will it really transform an area that is otherwise not troubled economically? Why would a major player in that area even wish to transform it? Do we need another hotel? How are the other hotels - all within three or four blocks of this proposed new one - faring? Does *any* of this make sense??

Just for the record, I'm not in support of this guy bulding this, now that I have read what he's all about, but I stand by my post that Hamilton could use a bigger venue then 77, which has a nasty rep as it is and is known for violence and even death and that we need an alternative to Hamilton Place.

I believe we would see more bands come through if we had a venue like this, but I'd rather it be bulit by someone else. Anyway, I'm just talking to myself, so take what you will from this...

would be great to see some more live music return to Hess street... was a great place to be 10/15 years back... maybe a return of the real jazz festival could come of it... back in the heyday a lot of people traveled to town for the sake of the music (more recently its become much less quality music, less travelers, all the focus on selling beer... talking festivals here, the local bars are probably booking more consistently good acts than ever)... Hess is a great summer location due to the close proximity of so many patios, and its just a pretty street

am definitely enthused about any efforts to revitalize the core of the city above sprawling out more cardboard cutout subdivisions into the surrounding farmland... given a few wise moves think