Jambands.ca

QOTD - Volunteering

Ms Zimmy

I'd volunteer for the St. Leornard's society. I've seen the work they do actually have an effect on my community so I know they're not just a charity to get tax breaks and employ their friends and family. They take care of all sorts of issues that surround poverty, like homelessness, food banks, clothing drives, employment couselling etc.

I'd volunteer at the local hospital. I actually signed myself up at one point but I travel too much and they needed someone who could be there like clock work. Chatham's ridiculously short staffed as far as anything medical goes.

I've been checking out this website lately and it seems very cool.. if you're into travel and developmental projects. They have a whole listing of short term abroad programs too which is great for those of us with a certain number of vacation days a year.

I've been thinking about joining Heritage Toronto, which is a group that works to maintain and protect heritage sites and buildings (amongst other things). I'm continually sickened and enraged when I witness historical buildings demolished by developers and I'm an urbanist, so Heritage Toronto should be a worthwhile organization to join.

http://www.heritagetoronto.org/home.show

when i was a kid i volunteered at the SPCA in chatham and i loved it. this spring i worked with habitat for humanity and i loved that too. they have an ottawa chapter or you can get involved with global village and go somewhere else.

as far as other local organizations... i actually have my students do projects on this... depends on what you're interested in, there are so many!

My employer promotes volunteering too. I'm a Trail Monitor for the Bruce Trail Association.

This consists of walking sections of the Bruce Trail (at least) 6 times per year, and reporting any damages to structures, or impassable sections of trail to the Trail Captain, who organizes a work party to fix it (a bunch of retired old guys).

I went for a nice walk today!