Jambands.ca

Music World Set To Close Stores

bradm

These stores like Music World could have surivived if they adapted.

What they should have done in 1999/2000 was start offering on site high quality legal burns, with pro printed artwork on demand.

The should have also offered i-pod/digital device loading on site, in the format of your choice.

They should have done away with physical ordering and paying for all that shipping and storage that drives up Cd costs. Instead hey should have invested in very fast internet connections and huge hardrives to recieve special orders that could then be burned or forwarded tot he customer.

All of those things would have allowed them to prosper in the new system, but like the record companies they tried to resist and like the Dinasours they will soon be extinct.

I guess HMV is the last major music retailer left..Yikes.

NO SHIT...I walked into an HMV yesterday and it was hard to find the music!!!! I did notice things that were normally marked at 18.99-23.99 are all around 12.99-14.99...Rising Canadian dollar I assume....

Interesting. I have found that CDs have always been cheaper in Canada than anyplace else I've been to. i.e. the U.S. and Europe. CDs in the UK are like twice the price that they are here, once you take the exchange rate into account.

"We had been assuming that US industry retail floor space devoted to CDs would contract over 20% in 2008, however, based on recent conversations with several music industry executives, we increasingly believe the reductions could be north of 30% with highly profitable catalog inventory likely to be dramatically reduced (only keeping high profile new releases as traffic drivers)."

From HMV

• 1 month later...