Jambands.ca

Airport Taser Death vid

bouche

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little respect goes a long way kids.

I'm not in to watching snuff videos either, but I think it is important that this was shown. The police have to be held accountable for their behavior when they abuse their power, and it won't happen without a huge public outcry.

If this video had not been made public they could have(and would have) just swept this under the table.

I had and have zero interest in seeing the various beheading videos out there but I felt ok watching this and I'm glad I did. For whatever reason I wouldn't put this in the sensationalized death video category. I think it's important that citizens of this country see what happened if they so chose.

I feel the same way Ollie.

Peace, Mark

Just wondering if anyone has heard if there will be an investigation into this incident, or if any of these cops will be charged. All I've heard is that Stephane Dion is calling for the RCMP to review taser use.

As an aside, I remember a bit of an uproar in the late 90s when tasers were being marketed to police forces. The company's demonstration video showed cops taking down a criminal with a taser. Some people cried racism because the actor playing the criminal in the video was a black man.

Just wondering if anyone has heard if there will be an investigation into this incident, or if any of these cops will be charged.

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/National/2007/11/16/4659840-sun.html

Yesterday, Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day said the RCMP will review the use of Tasers, and the incident will be scrutinized by a coroner's inquest and the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP.

Aloha,

Brad

One of my co-worker's husband works for the RCMP. She mentioned something to me about a sort of confetti that comes out when a taser is used. The confetti allows investigators to see how long the taser was fired, whose tazer was used, etc.

I don't know if this is already in practise or is something they're thinking of implementing as a result of this incident. I rarely listen to her.

My ma works for the federal parole board, so I'm gonna hit her up for some info tonight and see what she's heard or knows, since she deals with the RCMP daily.

This whole incident raises a good point: If the cops are going to taser me, please put down the video camera and come help me!

As much as I agree with you, sadly, I feel that would only result in getting tasered also and/or charged with some sort of obstruction.

[color:red][edit to add]

And by that point, I don't mean it wouldn't be worth helping someone, just that it's probally a big reason people don't help.

Edited by Guest

You're watching a video of a dude dying and I am the one that is lacking class? Ok.

Yep, that was classless to try and poke fun at ollie over something unrelated to this important incident.

nice try on the turn around. this isn't a video of a dude dying. it is a video of improper RCMP officer response to a relatively harmless incident. You don't see anyone die here.

You see a man who is arranging furniture and is clearly anxious for some reason.

You hear perplexed onlookers wondering where the cops are.

You see security not knowing what to do.

You also see a very kind lady who steps up and tries to calm the man down, without any fear.

You see RCMP arrive and approach the man who really does not do anything but say "POLICIA POLICIA" as if to feel relieved that help has arrived.

You see a bunch of RCMP attack a man who later dies.

You don't see someone die. It's more than that.

So he didnt die?

It's more than that.

Yes it is. Its a bunch of folks passing emailing the video to their buddy in the cubicle next to them and asking "Check this out. Its facked!"

Here's the deal. What are you going to do about this incident? Nothing. You will talk about it on the internet and thats it. I dont need to watch it to know a life was needlessly lost and someone should be held accountable.

Give the mans family a little peace.

Yes it is. Its a bunch of folks passing emailing the video to their buddy in the cubicle next to them and asking "Check this out. Its facked!"

I haven't received it from anybody in e-mail.

Here's the deal. What are you going to do about this incident? Nothing. You will talk about it on the internet and thats it. I dont need to watch it to know a life was needlessly lost and someone should be held accountable.

Talking about it exposes it to more people, maybe people who are in a better position to do something about it.

Give the mans family a little peace.

As far as I know, his mom was the one who decided to make the video public. And after watching it I understand completely and I think she should be commended for sharing it with us.

As far as I know, his mom was the one who decided to make the video public. And after watching it I understand completely and I think she should be commended for sharing it with us.

The video was released by the guy who shot it. The RCMP took his camera to review the situation. Once they were done they returned his property. He then sent it to the media.

i think he made a tidy little profit from it too
RCMP Cpl. Carr said Dziekanski's mother is not in favour of having the videotape released to the public, but the RCMP officer said it will be up to Pritchard to decide what to do with it.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/11/01/bc-taser.html?ref=rss

I take it back then. I had read that Pritchard left it up to the mom whether to release it or not. There's still a bit of FUD concerning this story.

I'm probably going to rock the boat-but the man that was tasered was totally out of control. He was throwing chairs and a computer in a public space. He was tasered twice-and then died. Thinking from a cop's point of view-if someone is being that violent, how are you to subdue them without getting harm to yourself? One toss of an object-and there goes your teeth, vision etc... Now I know that's a lot less than death, but the people's intentions were not to kill the man. The autopsy will show if the man was on an type of drugs; this seems to be a big factor in taser deaths. Anyway-I'm not too sure if I see it completely as police violation or not. Pepper spray has killed people before as well (I've been pepper sprayed-it ain't fun).

People have also died when the cops try to subdue then without any aid other than themselves. It's just something that unfortunately happens. There are just as many if not more times when an officer is hurt or killed because they didn't take proper measures to protect themselves from someone they didn't think was that much of a threat.

It's easy for everyone to sit back and second guess but unless you are in the situation you really can't judge.

The authorities are provided tasers to protect themselves, the public and the offender. They are not the perfect device and to be honest I don't think there will ever be a 'perfect' method.

Looking back at this situation it is very sad and yes there should be an inquiry. I don't think it should focus so much on the officers but should focus on the general use of tasers.

That's what makes it so sad. However I don't blame the police for not having a Polish translator.

I wish he hadn't been throwing computers and chairs around. He was breathing heavy and looked so confused. The poor guy was obviously upset and disoriented.

It's tragic no matter how you look at it.