Jambands.ca

Love Your Music But Your Shows Suck...

Weirdness

see i think phish has spoiled me (us?) as far as seeing any other live show goes... no one will move me like phish has... ryan adams came close, very close.

even on a bad day phish kicked my ass.

I agree as with the Grateful Dead, even on a bad day it was awesome.

I don't think they spoiled us as much as they showed us what a real musician can be. Someone who devotes their life to their craft and not their image, much like jazz players.

don't laugh, but Tom Jones puts on one of the best live shows I have ever seen! this is not a joke! even though I laughed at the idea of going when my mom offered me the ticket I am soo glad I went! He is obviously a veteran to the stage and a man that can afford a kick ass band. If you ever get a chance this is something I think all self proclaimed music lovers should see.

On the other hand I was not so impressed with the tool show I saw in the summer.

see i think phish has spoiled me (us?) as far as seeing any other live show goes... no one will move me like phish has... ryan adams came close, very close.

even on a bad day phish kicked my ass.

Yes, Phish put on spectacular shows but also had Chris Kuroda's light show that contributed to the experience, without question...

Phish's Toronto show in 1999 didn't come close to kicking my ass...but the following summer...they KICKED the entire Moslon Amphitheatre into overdrive...

Phish from the get go were solid entertainers delivering great music with stage personality...by the way Fishman described their first ROTC gig I'm sure that must've been highly entertaining...

I miss GD and Phish shows... :(

don't laugh, but Tom Jones puts on one of the best live shows I have ever seen! this is not a joke! even though I laughed at the idea of going when my mom offered me the ticket I am soo glad I went! He is obviously a veteran to the stage and a man that can afford a kick ass band. If you ever get a chance this is something I think all self proclaimed music lovers should see.

On the other hand I was not so impressed with the tool show I saw in the summer.

You should check out the installment in the MArtin Scorcese Blues documentary dedicated to the British blues boom (directed by Mike Figgis I believe) ... Tom Jones jams on old blues tunes along with Jeff Beck, Van Morrison and others and his singing just kills.

don't laugh' date=' but Tom Jones puts on one of the best live shows I have ever seen! this is not a joke! even though I laughed at the idea of going when my mom offered me the ticket I am soo glad I went! He is obviously a veteran to the stage and a man that can afford a kick ass band. If you ever get a chance this is something I think all self proclaimed music lovers should see.

On the other hand I was not so impressed with the tool show I saw in the summer.[/quote']

You should check out the installment in the MArtin Scorcese Blues documentary dedicated to the British blues boom (directed by Mike Figgis I believe) ... Tom Jones jams on old blues tunes along with Jeff Beck, Van Morrison and others and his singing just kills.

I watched that episode. It was excellent. Beck fucking smoked on guitar and was the perfect guy to play in that British blues supergroup. Van Morrison was great too as was Tom. I loved listening to Tom sling insults and tell stories about the era.

Musicians whose main instrument is a laptop computer falls into this category for me.. Borrriiinnng. (IE. Amon Tobin)

... which begs the question - how can a live show be worse / better than a recording if it's the same thing?

i thought about this too and while i don't go see 'electronic' acts all that often, i've seen some pretty big names like the chemical brothers and prodigy etc... their live shows are soooooooo much better than the recorded work, but i'm not sure it's due to the music. the whole thing is totally overblown (in a good way) with lights, lasers, visuals, other people in the crowd. much like how KISS (for the majority of songs) totally suck ass on record, but the live shows are awesome (and awesomely cheesy, which is still good enough)

No kidding, eh? His dance moves alone were a sight to see... when he lunges, points and thrusts... alright! I had a great time at his show... he's a classic performer.

One of the muddiest shows (sound wise) that I have ever heard.

Got talked into going by some school chums (who absolutely were "blown away" at this show by the way), and I actually went into this show with fairly high expectations. The visual show was fantastic, but I don't think I could make out a word or tone that came from the singer's mouth... although not overly familiar with their studio stuff (anything recent anyways), I always thought his voice was one of the highlights. That and the basslines...

But muddy, muddy, muddy. Crowd was lovin' it though.