Jambands.ca

N.S. town first to ban smoking in cars with kids

StoneMtn

also, while I'm piping in, i think the coupon idea is pretty silly, but i can't tell if it's being offered up seriously or not.

Semi-seriously. In my opinion, there are only two ways a government can make people (even corporations) do (or not do) something: they can pass legislation that punishes those who don't do (or do) it, or they can pass legislation that makes doing (or not doing) it in the people's best economic interest.

Fining people who smoke in cars with children present is the former approach; giving those people a price break on stop-smoking aids is the latter approach.

Aloha,

Brad

[semi-seriously. In my opinion, there are only two ways a government can make people (even corporations) do (or not do) something: they can pass legislation that punishes those who don't do (or do) it, or they can pass legislation that makes doing (or not doing) it in the people's best economic interest.

Fining people who smoke in cars with children present is the former approach; giving those people a price break on stop-smoking aids is the latter approach.

Aloha,

Brad

Fines are always an issue as they tend to not be a problem for those with lots of money. There are many people who gladly amass TONS of parking tickets and then pay them off as an "expense" of driving. They don't care.

I think "incentives" should come in the form of tax receipts. Much like making a charitable donation, I think that if you donate blood, sign your organ donor card, etc. you should get a tax receipt. Not only does this give the person a bit of a break, it also ensures that more people will actually file their taxes, no?

Well that's my home town for ya. Before I even opened this thread I knew it had to be Wolfville. They've been leading the charge in the no smoking war since day one but what can you expect from Canada's only fair trade town.

Fucking pretentious assholes, keep your laws off my body! ;)

How big a town/city is Wolfville? Seems like the kind of bylaw that sounds good in a smallish place...where interfering with people's private lives is part of the mentality and the cops haven't as many things to do.I think enforcing a bylaw like this would be a logistical nightmare.....lots of avenues to prove reasonable doubt.

How big a town/city is Wolfville?

Some googling led to

http://www.town.wolfville.ns.ca/

and its Community Profile says

The 2001 Census report Wolfville's population to be 3658, an increase of 3.7% since 1991. Wolfville's population doubles to over 7000 eight months of the year with the presence of Acadia University's student population.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest