Jambands.ca

Harper in Bali

paisley

(Harper Bali P.T.A.)

imagine someone else has already brought this up but guess the age of Canada leading by example on the environmental front is behind us

our new stance seems to be telling other countries we'll clean up our act as much as they clean up their act... which makes it look like no one will clean up much of anything and just make feeble green-ish gestures and point accusing fingers at one another

though I know the arguments for Harper's do nothing stance I still find it petty and demoralizing... yes, the third world has to be considerate of climate change while they trying to balance feeding their hundreds of millions of poor but I don't see why we have to base our performance on that of others... yes the U.S., China, and parts of Russia and India will continue to pollute more than their share... Canada has striven to be a world leader on the environmental front since the seventies... sad to see the country fall more in tow with the wealthy western nation status quo who are primarily concerned with the big bucks and power while turning a convenient blind eye towards what's good for the planet

Just received this from Avaaz.org

Wow -

This morning, in a massive U-turn in the 11th hour of extended negotiations, the Harper government finally dropped its opposition to 2020 emissions targets among Kyoto countries , and a climate change agreement was reached in Bali!

Over 110,000 of us came together over the last 4 days and added our voices to a wave of popular outrage - we supported the ads that ran in Canadian papers and at the conference in Bali, called Harper and our MPs, and built the strength of the petitions, events, banners, and marches at the summit. And it all worked!

Click the link below to see a video message from Liberal leader Stephane Dion at Bali - Avaaz is a non-partisan group and the NDP and Green Party also deserve credit for opposing Harper, but Dion had an impassioned comment for us:

Avaaz.org/en/Canada_Wins

Lots of factors helped make this happen, especially a strong resolve and pressure from other countries. In teaming up with people around the globe to save our climate - including over 600,000 other Avaaz members who pushed their governments - we've defended Canada's proud tradition of doing the right thing in the world. The struggle is far from over, but this weekend is for celebrating!

With much joy and enormous respect for everyone who signed, forwarded, donated, called, lobbied and pitched in,

Ricken and the Avaaz team

PS - Here's a link to see other Avaaz campaigns and our work this year - http://www.avaaz.org/en/report_back_1/

And here's a Globe and Mail article on the Harper reversal at Bali:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071215.wbalidealyork1215/BNStory/International/home Why does this action change the world? Because we're going to make your 60 seconds count.

ABOUT AVAAZ

Avaaz.org is an independent, not-for-profit global campaigning organization that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people inform global decision-making. (Avaaz means "voice" in many languages.) Avaaz receives no money from governments or corporations, and is staffed by a global team based in London, New York, Paris, Washington DC, Geneva, and Rio de Janeiro.

Canada got pwned in the negotiating. Baird comes off looking like a hack, and the rest of the developed world scoffs at us. Great stuff.

From the article:

NUSA DUA, Indonesia — After a failed attempt to block an agreement, Canada found itself isolated at the Bali conference Saturday and grudgingly accepted a new accord to set a target of 25 to 40 per cent for cuts in greenhouse-gas emissions by wealthy countries by the end of the next decade.

Environment Minister John Baird spoke against the ambitious target, but found himself virtually alone. Only Russia supported him – so he withdrew his objection, sparking a lengthy burst of applause from other countries.

Mr. Baird also failed in his attempt to gain commitments by China, India and other developing nations to reduce their fast-growing emissions.

“We weren't pleased with the language that weakened and watered-down the agreement that was adopted here, but it's better than no agreement,†he told reporters later.

Nice spin fuck-head.

god do we ever need a new gov't.

Edited by Guest

I still loves ya popo...

mckenna_frank_cp_5406400.jpg

holy ole german fuck, you don,t go around that lad hux

ha i sat on his knee one time at party he was drunk i wasnt though

he had girlsfriends and gave them money to set up friggen club houses he is so full of shit and lied ,sweet little frank, well i was best friends with his so called side kick, look i could tell lots but holt ole shit why thta picture as he is just like he looks sneaky

and you probably went to his place in the carribean oh oh he was rotten to the core i mean that left us shit up a creek and you people think he is great uh, friggen oh i dont know what to say

sneaky fucken frank is about it, his law office is downtown imagine name still on the door, oh i could get an easy job just opening all his cheques

have a merry christmas ha ha frank mckenna and you lads think he is fgreat

Canada got pwned in the negotiating. Baird comes off looking like a hack, and the rest of the developed world scoffs at us. Great stuff.

From the article:

NUSA DUA, Indonesia — After a failed attempt to block an agreement, Canada found itself isolated at the Bali conference Saturday and grudgingly accepted a new accord to set a target of 25 to 40 per cent for cuts in greenhouse-gas emissions by wealthy countries by the end of the next decade.

Environment Minister John Baird spoke against the ambitious target, but found himself virtually alone. Only Russia supported him – so he withdrew his objection, sparking a lengthy burst of applause from other countries.

Mr. Baird also failed in his attempt to gain commitments by China, India and other developing nations to reduce their fast-growing emissions.

“We weren't pleased with the language that weakened and watered-down the agreement that was adopted here, but it's better than no agreement,†he told reporters later.

Nice spin fuck-head.

god do we ever need a new gov't.

yep... brutal