Jambands.ca

Favourite Cookbooks?

SolarGarlic

Just wondering what books people dig or are diggin' these days? We mostly eat veggie dishes so here are a few go to books when we're needing something new/easy.

The Moosewood books: classic series that has tasty and simple recipes and interesting information in each book.

Amazon Link to an endless list of Moosewood books

Ethical Gourmet: I don't like the writing style or presentation of information in this book but the recipes are awesome. Every one I have tried has been successful.

419RHCWGMNL._AA240_.jpg

Farmer John's Cookbook: cool book put out by a cool farm. Great stories, great recipes.

02cookbook.jpg

I just got a moosewood book...It looks great.

I borrowed 2 books from a friend, How it all Vegan and the Gardens of Vegan by Sarah Kramer. They are SO fantastic and she's canadian. I also have the goodhouse keeping illustrated cook book. It has lots of really good bread recipes...

(I love reading cookbooks)

http://www.google.com

If I have an idea for something that I've never really tried to make before, I'll start with google and then I'll find so many different recipes that I can sorta get the idea of the fundamentals from deciphering what is common among the various recipes, and then I'll usually find one idea in one recipe and another in a second and third recipe. Before you know it, I've got something new and it comes out like I've made it before!

Aside from that, our WOK cookbook that ms.hux posted is the best asian book I have seen.

Edited by Guest

I use the internet as a resource for recipes a lot. In terms of just sitting and flipping and gathering ideas, these are my go-to books.

Katzen%20New%20Moosewood%20Cookbook.jpg

9780609802410.jpg

spoon.gif

Bittman-how-to-cook.jpg

although I admit I turn to the Moosewood books less and less over the years. The other two are my current favorites. I eat meat but Laurie doesn't so I'm always looking for good veggie plates. It's easy enough to do a small meat dish on the side for myself without much reference.

Jamie Oliver's first book was pretty good. Simple food prepared simply. I don't use it often, but there are a few fall-back recipes that I use all the time.

My fav. is asparagus w/ spicey anchovey butter. It's pretty much the best side ever for bbq'ed anything!

Happy Days with the Naked Chef?

I like that one alot...

If I have an idea for something ...I'll usually find one idea in one recipe and another in a second and third recipe. Before you know it, I've got something new and it comes out like I've made it before!

I often do that myself.

My mom turned me on to the Food & Drink magazine that is free at the LCBO...there are some great recipes in those mags

lcbo-winter-08.jpg

my fave cookbook is ...

Laurels' Kitchen

DSC04943.thumbnail.jpg

and I really like the Moosewood books too, especially...

bread2.jpg