Jambands.ca

NHL Trade Deadline

badams

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sources tell TSN that Toronto Maple Leafs interim general manager Cliff Fletcher and captain Mats Sundin met on Thursday to discuss his future with the team.

It's believed Fletcher asked Sundin for a list of teams he would consider playing for, although the Leafs GM stopped short of officially asking him to waive his no-trade clause.

The fact Fletcher has asked for the list of teams speaks to his intent to trade Sundin, but Sundin remains in control and if unwilling can scuttle any potential deal.

Sundin has only a few days to contemplate his future with the trade deadline set for 3pm (et) on Tuesday, however the belief is Toronto is hoping for a response from Sundin either today or tomorrow.

If the Leafs captain clears the way for a trade, he will only do so to join the team of his choice, which will clearly limit Toronto's flexibility.

The fact the 37 year old is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent July 1st also hinders Toronto's asking price as it is unlikely Sundin will relinquish further control by agreeing to any extension before fully assessing his future in the summer.

Debate will rage on all fronts, no matter the outcome of Sundin's decision.

If he agrees to a trade and is moved as a rental, then the rate of return will be analyzed and compared to Sundin's value had he stayed on as the Maple Leafs franchise player for another season or two.

If he opts not to waive his no-trade and crushes any chance of the organization jump-starting its rebuild then the quiet rumblings of those critical of his decision will become deafening in an attempt to villify one of the Toronto Maple Leafs most beloved leaders.

Detriot, San Jose, Anaheim and Vancouver are believed to be the main Western Conference contenders for Sundin, however with Sundin in full control of his destiny, an Eastern Conference team remains a strong possiblity as well, and some believe the Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators will be in play.

Throughout his career, Sundin has average slightly better than a point per game. In 1,293 games he has scored 547 goals, 757 assists, for 1,304 points.

Leaf nation should be upset by Kaberle refusing to waive his NTC to Philly for Jeff Carter and a 1st rounder. It's a good deal for both teams.

That would be a good trade, but then next year we would need to replace Kaberle and although he has not had a great year, he is a great d-man at a reasonable price.

Sundin will not waive no trade clause

Mats Sundin

2/24/2008 10:27:58 PM

After weeks of trade speculation, Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin has made his decision and will not waive his no trade clause.

Sundin and his agent J.P. Barry met in Ottawa on Sunday in an effort to provide Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Cliff Fletcher with an official answer on whether or not the Leaf captain will consent to a trade.

"I have carefully considered the team's request that I waive my no-trade clause," Sundin said in a statement. "I have always believed I would finish my career as a Toronto Maple Leaf so the actual request was still a very difficult one for me to contemplate."

"I have spoken to and listened to my family and those closest to me about this issue. In the end, there is no right decision in a situation like this one."

"I cannot leave my teammates and join another NHL Club at this time. I have never believed in the concept of a rental player. It is my belief that winning the Stanley Cup is the greatest thing you can achieve in hockey but for me, in order to appreciate it you have to have been part of the entire journey and that means October through June. I hope everyone will understand and respect my decision."

Sundin has been in Toronto since being acquired in a June 1994 trade. This season, he has scored 25 goals and 37 assists.

In 970 career games with the Maple Leafs, Sundin has 413 goals, 558 assists and 971 points.

Forsberg trying?

This is nuts. Just talked to a Swedish reporter who stated that as late as Friday, Peter Forsberg was still skating with Modo.

A week after his agent told GM's he wouldn't return, don't rule out Forsberg wearing an Ottawa uniform. He has to given an answer today.

So Sundin is staying in TO.

Thoughts?

[color:blue]This is pretty much how I feel about it

We had to get out a whole box of hankies after reading and listening to all of the folks who felt bad Sundin has been put in such an awful predicament heading into the trade deadline.

Never mind that he's a multi-millionaire who has never once taken his team to the Stanley Cup finals.

We did, however, enjoy the response to our suggestion last week that if Sundin doesn't waive his no-trade clause to facilitate a move to a contender, Leafs interim GM Cliff Fletcher should strip Sundin of his captaincy and make it clear the veteran forward won't be re-signed this summer. Only in Toronto, where reality is, like the Stanley Cup, an infrequent visitor, is such a suggestion met with such horror from media and fans alike.

But that's always been the problem in Toronto, where fans and media have often had trouble separating the myths of the past from the hopelessness of their present. Witness the joyousness that greeted the return of much-loved hero Wendel Clark late in his career (no matter that it cost the team valuable futures), or even when Doug Gilmour made his ill-fated return to the team late in his career before the lockout.

Now, it seems everyone, from media to fans to even Sundin himself, would rather embrace the comfort of mediocrity than take the hard steps that always precede becoming a winner.

Hand me another hanky, please.

-- Scott Burnside

[color:blue]I think that Sundin isn't sure he will return at all next year and is leaving the option open to retire as a Leaf.

Right you are. Supposedly that comment that was reportedly to have be said by Sundin was completely bogus too. The quote was something like "I'm not waving my no-trade to fix JFJ's mistakes". Sundin was reportedly on the phone asap to JFJ when that came out to tell him it was false.

The media is wayyyyyy too desperate for a story right now and the whole deadline will probably pass without much of a fizzle.

btw - The more I hear out of Damian Cox's mouth, the more of an ass I think he is.

With 24 hours to go until the NHL's trade deadline, the Calgary Flames don't appear willing to deal away winger Alex Tanguay.

General Manager Darryl Sutter told reporters on Monday afternoon that he is not trading Tanguay and he likes the make up of his team. "Alex Tanguay will be a good player for us down the stretch," he said.

When asked again about the winger's status, Sutter replied flatly, "I already answered that question. I am not trading Tanguay."

The Flames, coming off a 2-1 win over Minnesota on Sunday, lead the Northwest Division by one point over the Wild.

No Sundin, No Tanguay - Who's left?

The team had long been rumoured to be shopping Tanguay, who has a no-trade clause and one year left on his three-year contract at $5.25 million. The most circulated rumour had him going to the Montreal Canadiens for winger Michael Ryder.

Tanguay, who has 14 goals and 49 points in 62 games this season, was acquired in 2006 from the Colorado Avalanche in a deal for defenceman Jordan Leopold.

Dealing Antropov makes sense.

I agree. Years have gone by with the promise that we'll someday see the potential of the great Antropov. Seriously, I don't think the wait has been worth the luke-warm season we've seen from him this year.

I say unload him while he looks appealing to some other teams and worth a little something. To me, it looks like he's plateaued (sp?) and only has room to slump or get injured = liability.

Hal mentioned Kilger and he's bang on, IMHO. He's totally one of those players who can be added to a roster and totally be a force for a playoff run. Perfect to raise the level and grittiness of a 3rd line somewhere. I could picture Kilger in a Flames jersey ...