Jambands.ca

NHL Trade Deadline

badams

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TORONTO _ Marian Hossa is playing the waiting game.

It's believed the Atlanta Thrashers winger has been told not to attend the club's morning skate today at the Bell Centre. He is supposed to wait at the club's downtown hotel for a trade. There is not a chance he'll be in the lineup for the Thrashers tonight, but he could play for the Montreal Canadiens.

The Senators are still in the mix, but the package is huge. The Ducks have offered prospect Bobby Ryan and a No. 1 pick.

That's not going to cut it.

8:03 a.m - Rumoured deal: Ottawa gets Hossa. Atlanta gets Vermette, Schubert, Foligno (I'm going to leave it with last names and assume you all know who these guys are. I'm not talking.

Rumoured Montreal deal: Habs get Hossa. Atlanta gets Ryder, Grabovski, Lapierre. Gord Miller points out this may be a straight-up rental and that Hossa may not sign re-sign with either team.

God Ottawa would be SOOOO fucking themselves over if they took this deal.

Guest Low Roller

I don't know how I feel about the Habs trade either, especially for a rental.

But we do have a backlog of centers developing in the organization who could fill the void left by Grabs and Lappy leaving...

Guest Low Roller

It makes sense to trade Ryder because he's UFA and unlikely to sign again.

The Habs have $35M in salary committed for next year for 15 players (including Chipchura who I assume will make the team) and two buyouts.

Grabs and Lapierre are both RFAs at the end of the season along with guys like Gorges, Halak, Big Tits, and O'Byrne who are all in line for big raises for next year. Also don't forget about UFAs Huet and Streit.

Can't keep them all.

But it would be great to trade for a player who is more than a rental... I don't like the whole concept of a rental player.

Edited by Low Roller
clarify my ideas

Guest Low Roller

Short term vs. long term.

The everlasting question. I suppose the Habs can only build for the future for so long before they recongize that their time is now and they do what they need to do to win immediately.

Is their time now?

Edited by Low Roller
change of ideas.

Is their time now?

Its too hard to picture what other teams are going to look like in the coming years so why not make it now as best as they can. Anyone can win the East this year and having Ottawa with shit goaltending has to give a team tons of hope. They certainly cant go to the big dance the way things look in net right now.

I wasnt sold on Richards earlier but the PEI boys in Ottawa want him so that is good enough for me. If Les Brahs can get him cheap then do it over Hossa because at least they know they would still have him for the next few years.

Is their time now?

Yes. The East is ripe for the picking this year. The previous dominate team (OTT) is a mess and not the team they once were. I think the Habs like the other 7 playoff contenders can all make a run at it.

It depends on who's goalie gets hot and how well the team plays D. At this point NJ makes me a little nervous with Brodeur and his experience.

Offensively we can match anyone in the East and Hossa would just add to that. He has never been very successful in the playoffs but hopefully in the environment of the Habs dressing room he would feel comfortable and increase his playoff impact.

Gainey can sit back and keep waiting but who knows what the future holds... injuries? holdouts etc. Strike now!!! I have faith in Gainey. HE has built this team wonderfully. We may not be a Detroit powerhouse but we are solid throughout the line up.

The last two Montreal Stanley Cup winners were not powerhouses either. They were solid TEAMS... I think that's what the Habs are now.