Jambands.ca

Bacon in the news

Davey Boy 2.0

• 4 weeks later...

A British company is prepared to pay a couch potato nearly L 24,000 (around $37,000) a year to do nothing but eat 400 extra calories of greasy food a day, such as Chinese take-out, fish and chips, and pizza.

The hired candidate will "work" from home, testing a fat-binding diet supplement for Proactol Ltd., a spokesman for the company told The Daily Telegraph.

"Every day will feel like a holiday in this job," he said.

• 1 month later...

A MILKSHAKE that is the equivalent of 68 pieces of bacon or 30 chocolate chip cookies has been dubbed the worst drink in the US.

Made with chocolate ice cream, milk and peanut butter, the drink - called the Cold Stone PB&C - packs a whopping 2010 calories, 68 grams of saturated fat and a massive 153 grams of sugar, The Sun reports.

It topped Men's Health magazine's list of the 20 worst drinks in America, beating a McDonald's Triple Thick Chocolate Milkshake to the post.

"In terms of saturated fat, drinking this Cold Stone catastrophe is like slurping up 68 strips of bacon," the magazine said.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"Health experts recommend capping your saturated fat intake at about 20 grams per day, yet this beverage packs more than three times that into a cup ... "

But this information did not bother tourists in Marina del Rey, California, as they sampled a large size of the ice cream milkshake.

Christopher Fields said: "It's delicious. I would definitely have it again."

When told the milkshake was nearly the equivalent of the recommended daily calorie intake for men, the 45-year-old said, "I don't care."

Patting his stomach, he said: "I'd drink it without difficulty. I'd probably have it once a week."

Josh Fein, who runs the Marina del Rey ice cream eatery, said that health-conscious locals were not that keen on the PB&C shake.

"We probably only sell about eight to ten of those a week and mostly to tourists," he said.

According to the Men's Health column, the second worst drink in America is the Peanut Power Plus Grape from Smoothie King. A large cup is worth roughly 1,500 calories.

The McDonald's Triple Thick Chocolate Shake came in third.

A large cup of that is worth 1160 calories, or the equivalent of 13 McDonald's apple pies.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dave: Okay, they're gone

Jemaine: Thank you, Dave.

Dave: Yeah, don't worry about it guys. I just think it's really cool that you love each other, even though you're from Austria and you're from some place no one's even fucking heard of.

Keitha: Australia.

Jemaine: New Zealand.

Dave: Exactly. Because it shouldn't matter where you're from when love's involved. It's like that movie - "Interracial Hole Stretchers 2" - she was white; they were black. But it didn't matter in the end, did it? Because they were in love.

Jemaine: I haven't...I haven't seen that one.

Dave: Well, it really affected me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What do we taste like? In September, The Guardian reported on "the opinion of a cute little robot developed by NEC System Technologies and Mie University.

The 'electromechanical sommelier' is 'capable of identifying wines, cheeses, meats and hors d'oeuvres.' On tasting the hands of human reporters, it identified one as bacon and another as prosciutto.'"

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Special to The Globe and Mail

At this year's SIAL trade show, the must-see event for food industry leaders and followers, the irresistible aroma of sweet porky goodness wafted through the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. It grabbed attendees by the nose and led them to a booth where a strapping young cowboy from Alberta - Stetson hat and all - wrangled strips of what appeared to be bacon onto an electric griddle. The cowboy was Landon Janzen, and it was his dad, Richard, who invented this beguiling comestible.

Dark and leaner than pork, beef bacon fries up crispy just like its porcine predecessor, and if it's possible, is even yummier.

It delivers everything pork bacon does, plus an added hit of something uniquely beefy and rich, reminiscent of that irresistible fat ribbon that runs through Korean short ribs.

Cattleman Richard Janzen had the light bulb moment in 2009. "I wanted to eat healthier so I told my family I wasn't going to eat certain seafood or pork any more. My daughter said, 'But Dad, we love bacon!' So, we'll eat beef bacon then." Janzen set about developing the product. It took a year to perfect the process: belly from Grade A Alberta and Ontario beef - a cut formerly relegated to hamburger and sausage - is cured, hot smoked over hardwood, aged for seven days then sliced. It's lower in fat, higher in protein and is a whopping 50 per cent lower in cholesterol.

Still only available in a few shops out west, Janzen demurs that it's about to be picked up by a couple of - as yet, unsecured chains - and go national. Word to the wise, keep your eyes peeled at Costco, Metro and Sobeys. Just sayin'.

Canadian Beef Bacon: $6.79 available now at select Calgary IGAs and others and in the next two weeks, across the country.