Jambands.ca

Big Week in Reality TV land!

gentlemonkey

So, as i've already admitted- I've been following Canadian Idol for the last couple months- cant believe who is left (I was all about the Jenny Gear and Toya- so Ive lost most interest) but I'll still tune in and see who wins. Also the new Survivor begins this week as the CyberHippie reminded us earlier. should be good- survivor 5- the pearl necklace.

BUT my real passion lately is Paradise Hotel. Is anyone else loving this little gem??! I got hooked on this beaut when I realized that Zack and Amy symbolize everything I hate about humanity. that was solidified last week when he returned in full jock-monkey form to threaten poor keith. and i also in the same episode fell in love with Dave- his Ichabod Crain like appearance, his spock-like ears, and his calm sincerity. I love him. and I hope he outsmarts them all!! But I think charla's got him by the balls. I love the random surprises and lack of reason on this show. i also loved hating toni- she sucked so hard.

gentlemonkey......i always knew i loved you.

paradise hotel is such a fascinating little vignette of greed.....i love that the producers give no rules so that they can manipulate the outcome.....the more savvy 'barbies' vs. the dumb ones (or the 'originals'}.

and it's just terribly fun to just watch the high school "jocks and geeks" drama

and i hope the prize something utterly stupid and not worth losing a whole summer to cat-fights and spats.

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

GM, I am coming to pay you a visit with 50 of my friends
[Wink]

That was so priceless. so was the monkey dance he was doing.

whatever, I've accomplished more in my 21 years, than you EVER will. Also, there is Lawyer in me!

Amazing fun. Can anything top the dramatic glances they share at the end of any given realisation?

Reba, we'll have to exchange notes, I think the prize is going to be a night with the hostess! at, of course, paradise hotel...

I'll admit living up here in the boondocks means the TV's on quite a bit. Paradise Hotel that is an amusing one. It is probably the first reality show where I have never liked anyone. Dave is as close as it gets though.

Joe Schmo is freakin hillarious. I bet most people have never even heard of it yet.

Hey Gentlemonkey... thought you'd get a kick out of this.... [smile]

from today's National Post

Show tortures with cruel and unusual time killing

A timeline of last night's two-hour finale of CTV's Canadian Idol:

8:03 p.m. ET The 11 Idol finalists sing a medley of peppy tunes and awkwardly perform grade-school-assembly choreography. Judge Zack Werner blows them all a kiss. The eliminated finalists smile back at Zack and do their best to not let their lips move as they mutter: "Asshole."

8:08 Enter host Ben Mulroney: "For the next two hours we are going to entertain you. We will make you laugh and make you cry." And they immediately accomplish all three goals just by showing that footage of the shirtless fat guy getting all lathered up on the Maid of the Mist.

8:09 Ben tells us that Canada has caught Idol fever. As proof, he introduces a montage of clips in which TV news anchors tell us that Canada has caught Idol fever. Almost all the clips feature anchors who are in the employ of ... CTV, the network that produced Canadian Idol. In a related story, have I mentioned how Canada has caught Train 48 fever?

8:14 Ben asks Zack to judge him. "Do you love me or do you hate me?" Ben inquires. Zack rises and hugs Ben. Ben pretends to cry. And at that moment, CTV's strategy for selecting a host finally becomes clear: They hired someone who would make the contestants seem charismatic by comparison.

8:31 During a medley performed by the finalists, Jenny Gear sings a song by Leonard Cohen. Well, I say "sings a song by Leonard Cohen." What I mean is "wraps her vocal cords around a song by Leonard Cohen and slowly euthanizes it." The family advises that in lieu of flowers, earplugs will be gratefully accepted.

8:36 Somewhere, in some Canadian city, a member of Sugar Jones, the group that emerged from the first PopStars competition, utters the words: "Would you like fries with that?"

8:48 Hey, whaddaya know: Yet another "fond look back" at videotape filler. This finale is quickly becoming the best reason yet for members of the United Nations to pursue a convention governing the cruel and unusual killing of time.

9:00 Ben tells us Canadian Idol is the most-watched television series in Canadian history. Yes, for now, Mr. Mulroney. For now. But you, sir, have yet to see my treatment for The Littlest Hobo: The Next Generation.

9:01 Ben introduces video footage that showcases how the Idol franchise has spread across the globe. We see judges evaluating competitors in several different languages -- and the weird thing is that even though I'm unilingual, their remarks all make more sense to me than those of Sass Jordan.

9:03 Ruben Studdard, who won the most recent instalment of American Idol, makes a special guest appearance. His mouth says: "I know (Ryan and Gary) must be really excited." But his eyes say: "Man, I shoulda read my contract. I mean, coming to Canada twice? Those bastards own my ass."

9:05 This just in: A NAFTA tribunal will be convened this morning to determine whether Studdard's copious perspiration qualifies as an illegal American water export.

9:16 During a commercial break, Ryan and Gary haggle with Satan to determine a price for winning the competition. Lucifer had originally demanded eternal possession of the mortal soul of the victor. But after realizing the winner would achieve fame only in Canada, he ultimately settled for a six-pack of Blue Light and Audrey de Montigny's phone number.

9:35 Clips are played of two Members of Parliament speaking about Canadian Idol yesterday in the House of Commons. Apparently, it was during debate on Bill C-86, An Act to Prove to Canadians That We're Just Sitting Up Here in Ottawa With Nothing Better to Do.

9:40 Gary and Ryan perform Crowded House's Don't Dream It's Over. Is it just me, or is that one of the great pop songs of the last 25 years?

9:44 I've devised a drinking game for the finale of Canadian Idol 2. Here's how you play: As soon as the finale of Canadian Idol 2 begins, everyone immediately drinks 14 beers and passes out. Then ... well, that's pretty much it, actually. The hangovers won't be near as painful as enduring two hours of stalling for 12 seconds of actual show.

9:48 Gary and Ryan stand arm in arm, trying not to wet themselves as Ben makes with the Obligatory Milking of the Tension.

9:51 Ryan Malcolm is announced as the winner of Canadian Idol. He hugs Gary Beals and thanks his fans. Billy Klippert shows up on stage, bawling. He is either extremely emotional or it really hurt to have those sunglasses welded to his forehead.

9:53 For reasons that are not entirely clear, Ben abruptly stops hosting Canadian Idol, prompting Ryan to first ask, "Are we still on?" and then remark, "I guess I better sing now." Perhaps Ben thought back on family history and assumed Kim Campbell would be coming in to handle the tiresome, post-climactic stuff.

10:01 An emergency meeting is held at Maclean's magazine: A cover story on Whatever Happened To Ryan Malcolm: Too soon?

What, no love for Cupid - the dating game version of American Idol? It wrapped last night with the winning goon not wanting to sully the wedding experience by having it broadcast on national television. Or, he didn't have the balls to say no to her face. The poor man's Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robert A., made this show worth watching as the home audience voted him all the way to 2nd place to the horror of the female contestant. Not that this show wasn't totally fixed in the first place.

I'm very ashamed to say I got sucked into Paradise Hotel [Mad]

It's halarious though. I love how the evil people think they are the good ones. If I was on that show I most definetly would have killed Zak and Amy. The whole show reminds me of high school, the 'Popular' crowd who are a bunch of f'n bullies who think they are to good for this world, and the 'Looser' crowd, who are actually the down to earth, cool people.

Anyhow...

Don't forget to sign up for the Survivor pool. So far it's just me and Phred. You can sign up at:

Survivor Pool

M- hilarious!! it is pretty sad how they stretch it out. Ben is a little awkward eh? I forgot to watch it and went to see Matchstick Men instead- good flick!

ollie- thats the first I've heard of cupid! I'll have to check it out next time around.

mxhux- been meaning to check out the shmoe, i hear its pretty funny..

cyberhip- I'm with you.

I have to admit that I've been following Cupid as well (I blame the gf) [Wink] It started strong but crawled to an anti-climatic finish last night.

The best part was the horror on the host's face as he threw to commercial when the groom-to-be announced he didn't want to get married on live tv...

GentleMonkey,

I am in total agreement about reality TV. I love it.

I am a huge Paradise hotel fan too. My wife and I watch it and laugh all the time.

I want to see Amy there as the last of the originals. I want to see if she will squirm or what.

I think that Keith or Dave are the smartest ones there, with a slight edge to Dave.

Viva PHotel!

I watched Paradise Hotel twice…it was too horrid even for me, a girl with an unholy and bizarre love of reality TV….but, one interesting tidbit: That Toni chick is EVERYWHERE!

Shortly after I saw an episode, back in July, I was at the dentist’s office and I picked up a Marie Claire magazine…she was a “reader model” in one of the stories.

Then, last month, I was watching Blind Date, and she was on it! It was a special one where they flew the two daters to Hawaii or Mexico or something…it was hilarious…she was all butch and stuff and admitted she’d never had an orgasm with a man, only a woman. And I believe she arm-wrestled her date (and won).

Where will she turn up next?

>Where will [that Toni chick] turn up next?

I first saw her on Love Cruise. Remember Love Cruise?

And oh my god, how could I forget about Temptation Island? We're right in the middle of season 3! Horrible show on so many levels. But then, that's why I like it.

>...it's mainly gentlemonkey, frankly....I'm worried. He seems to have lost a few floors in the highrise if you know what I'm sayin...

Oh, I'm sure I've got gm beat. I bet I'm the only one here who has live feeds to the Big Brother house. Anyone wanna come over and watch? [Razz]

So here's what I say...

THE BACHELOR should take on THE BACHELORETTES and the SURVIVOR should MEET MY FOLKS. For I am the CANADIAN IDOL who checked into PARADISE HOTEL. FOR LOVE OR MONEY you ask, none of the above. JOE MILLIONAIRE told me that CUPID was going to be there and that I should check out THE MOLE on my BIG BROTHER's back, speaking of FEAR FACTOR. From TEMPTATION ISLAND where he met THE OSBOURNES to THE AMAZING RACE where he met a gal WHO WANTS TO MARRY MY DAD. Well DOG EAT DOG after all that WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE anyways.

Could you be any lazier?

Holy smokes man!

How far away is the fridge? 10 steps?

It probably took you longer to write that question out, than it would have had you gotten off the chair and checked it out for yourself!

BUT, if you were asking if you could have one, sure, go ahead.

[Wink]

Now THERES some reality for ya folks........

Archived