Jambands.ca

Go Jays Go 2008 - Fan Forum

badams

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT ED!!!

Former Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Ed Sprague admitted to using performance-enhancing substances later banned by MLB, as well as hitting with a corked bat.

"I took Andro, and they banned that," Sprague told Recordnet.com, a website in his hometown of Stockton, Calif. "So, am I the cleanest guy? No, but I tried to be as strong and as healthy as I could as long as I could for my career."

Referring to Androstenedione, a banned substance under the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004, Sprague also said he used amphetamines commonly called "greenies." Amphetamines were not banned by baseball until 2006.

"That was an ultimate part of the game," Sprague said. "It was in the locker room forever. It was either a diet pill or a caffeine pill or whatever it was to give you more energy, and that was more prevalent than anything else. Is that a performance enhancer? Yeah, I guess it is if you're dog-ass tired."

Sprague admitted to using a corked bat once in a game, but quickly gave up the practice.

"We hit with them in (batting practice) a lot," he told Recordnet.com. "I know a couple guys in the game hit with them. I hit with one in a game once, but I was so scared after I hit it. .. That's the last time I ever did it."

Sprague is currently in his fifth season as a baseball coach at University of the Pacific in Stockton.

yea total bummer...i was "watching" on game channel...damn Tallet giving up an extra run in the eighth (i think it was Tallet...cant quite remember who was actually pitching...possibly Frasor)

and then of course Rios has to go an hit what would have been the tying home run in the ninth...dang

ah well, lets just hope this isnt a season of sweeps and getting swept