Jambands.ca

The Musical Box return...again.

kookycanooky

Musical box will return with their farewell farewell tour for Selling England by the Pound, this time at their original lair in toronto, the Danforth Music Hall.

Unfortunately they are all high on glue fumes and think they are actually genesis, and will be charging accordingly.

Tickets run from $55 (balcony) and $65 (floors).

other dates of interest:

2008-05-16 LA BAIE - PALAIS MUNICIPAL

2008-05-17 QUEBEC - LE THEATRE CAPITOLE

2008-05-18 QUEBEC - LE THEATRE CAPITOLE

2008-05-20 GATINEAU - MAISON DE LA CULTURE

2008-05-30 MONTRÉAL - BELL CENTER

2008-06-06 TORONTO - DANFORTH MUSIC HALL

2008-06-07 TORONTO - DANFORTH MUSIC HALL

DSC_8189---BIS.jpg

Unfortunately they are all high on glue fumes and think they are actually genesis, and will be charging accordingly.

Tickets run from $55 (balcony) and $65 (floors)

I sould have mentioned that they announced these shows at the Turn It On Again gig at the refurbished Danforth Music Hall.

As weird as it sounds paying that much for one of these gigs, it's completely worth it IMHO. For the quality of musicianship, attention to detail, that it is more than just a musical perfomance, etc. Compared to some shows I've seen for more money, this is a much better use of concert cash for some.

We will be arranging a big preshow party for this one. We'll be at a location close by, and one where we can blast tunes of our choice as well.

This is a show that you really don't have to be right up front for either. I may party at this one back in the balcony :)

I sould have mentioned that they announced these shows at the Turn It On Again gig at the refurbished Danforth Music Hall.

YES, you should have mentioned this. I only got tickets yesturday, and a little farther back then I would have liked.

The price is high, but i'm still going to both nights. Can you put a price on time travel? I think not. I am just peaved because these music hall shows used to be in the $40 range. (although, I did secretely wish for this...massey hall sucks big balls for a band like this).

I'm a little hazy but this will be my 16th and 17th shows. Also, this is the first time in recorded history that we will get to see these shows in a warm season, as they've always played in the dead of winter. I can't wait to veg on the patio all day saturday before this one.

Kev, is Turn it on Again that bullshit 80's genesis with the old Musical Box drummer? Does this mean he will be playing with them again in toronto?

YES, you should have mentioned this. I only got tickets yesturday, and a little farther back then I would have liked.

Yeah, sorry man. Remind me at these shows and I'll buy you a beer to make up for it ;)

The price is high, but i'm still going to both nights. Can you put a price on time travel? I think not. I am just peaved because these music hall shows used to be in the $40 range. (although, I did secretely wish for this...massey hall sucks big balls for a band like this).

Agreed. Hey, they way I look at it the show is in a wayyy better venue and the tix are half price compared to what they have to charge at Massey. So, it's kinda like a 2fer1 deal :)

Kev, is Turn it on Again that bullshit 80's genesis with the old Musical Box drummer? Does this mean he will be playing with them again in toronto?

LOL ... yup that's what TIOA is, but I really enjoyed it for what it is. Great musicians and really they kept the cheese to a minimum. NO, I don't think that Martin LeVac will be back behind the kit for TMB unfortunately. Oh well.

Looking forward to partying and hangning out at these shows

Edited by Guest

TIOA are not bullshit at all. They put on a great show. The '83 Supper's Ready is incredible.

AWeeJig, are you not Ottawa based now? Check out the show in Gatineau, just across the border in Quebec. I have tickets for that one.

AWeeJig, are you not Ottawa based now? Check out the show in Gatineau, just across the border in Quebec. I have tickets for that one.

No can do for the 20th of May in Gatineau. Prior committments of a longstanding tradition. Montreal on the 3oth is doable however.

TIOA are not bullshit at all. They put on a great show. The '83 Supper's Ready is incredible.

I said "Is Turn it on Again that bullshit 80's genesis?", not "is that bullshit Turn it on Again who play that bullhisht 80's genesis...".

I dont question their ability to "put on a great show" for their fans, rather my opinon is that 80's genesis music was bullshit for the most part.

I dont question their ability to "put on a great show" for their fans, rather my opinon is that 80's genesis music was bullshit for the most part.

Fair enough. However, don't let your hatred of '80s Genesis put you off their show. There's a lot of pre-80s stuff in the setlist and I think you'd come to appreciate songs such as Dodo/Lurker in a live setting. And I actually like the juxtaposition of the new and the old. Supper's Ready followed by Misunderstanding is a real mindfuck but it works somehow.

Ollie, are you guys gonna come in to Toronto for the June shows at the Danforth Music Hall???

Just gonna hit the Gatineau show, although it would be nice to see them at the Danforth again, love that venue.

However, they've priced themselves out of my range to really get motivated to go see them out of town. Especially with the loss of Martin Levac... he was worth half the price of admission! ;)

Just gonna hit the Gatineau show, although it would be nice to see them at the Danforth again, love that venue.

However, they've priced themselves out of my range to really get motivated to go see them out of town. Especially with the loss of Martin Levac... he was worth half the price of admission! ;)

Completely understandable. Hey, you'll like the Danforth even more now that they fixed it up. It ain't glitzy and glamourous, but the seats are a lot more comfortable and the ceiling isn't falling apart anymore .

Just listening to Tresspass right now ... underrated album.

It makes you wonder why genesis didn't change their name when Hackett left and the music started going to (very) new places. The musical divison is black and white...it hardly makes sense to call 80's genesis by that name. But then again what do I know...they kept it and became world famous.

80's pop stuff aside (i think i've made my point there), i can't get behind the re-vamped versions of pre-'75 songs and those damn medleys. I make an exception for some 1976 stuff, Dance on a Volcano > drums > Los endos is pretty fucking cool.

For what its worth, I only got into genesis in the first place because of the Musical box, so that would probably explain my extreme left and right views of the band.

Were people smoking inside at the Tioa show, kev? or does the new music hall enforce? Its just not a musical box show unless its hot-boxed to high hell.

For what its worth, I only got into genesis in the first place because of the Musical box, so that would probably explain my extreme left and right views of the band.

And I think part of my persistence in getting you to give it a chance is that I used to hold such extreme views of the band myself. ;)

Were people smoking inside at the Tioa show, kev? or does the new music hall enforce? Its just not a musical box show unless its hot-boxed to high hell.

You know what, I didn't notice. I had done my fair share outside before going in. Since we were in front row I really didn't notice what was going on behind us ;) I'm pretty sure it was smoke-free. Those hot box shows of the past were KILLER! Maybe we can get that going again up in the balcony.

• 3 months later...

The first night was a heap of drunks and the second there were mostly families and kids.

The new drummer had the chops but lacked enthusiasm at some points (or he wasn't loud enough in the mix) and also didn't really do the vocals quite like martin.

You know exactly what you missed other then that.

The neon triangle box-head thing gets me every time. Always jaw dropping to seem them nail suppers ready...goosebumps!