Jambands.ca

All-Star Tribute Concert tonight for Murdered T.O. Man John O'Keefe

Jaimoe

[blurb]I've met John's sister a couple of times but never him. You may remember his story: John was walking home after stopping in at The Duke of Gloucester near Yonge & Bloor a few months ago. John walked by The Brass Rail and was shot in the head by a fucking punk that got kicked out of that fucking strip joint. Great cause for a nice family man.

For immediate release:

ELLIOT BROOD

with

THE STATE OF THINGS

and

STEPHEN STANLEY of LOWEST OF THE LOW

and

ANDY MAIZE and JOSH FINLAYSON of THE SKYDIGGERS

Play Concert for the O'Keefes, The Mod Club, March 2

In memory of John O'Keefe, and to aid the education of his son, Iain O'Keefe-Kaufman

Toronto -- Feb. 22, 2008 -- Bands and musicians from across Toronto will come together on March 2 for Concert for the O'Keefes, playing in memory of John O'Keefe and to aid the education of his son, Iain O'Keefe-Kaufman.[/blurb]

John O'Keefe was shot on Yonge Street on Jan. 12, the innocent victim of a stray bullet that ended his life and left his nine-year-old son Iain without a father. Those of us who knew and loved John are putting on this benefit to celebrate his past and prepare for his son's future.

"John was a peaceful fun-loving man who loved life, his city, and music," says longtime friend and concert co-organizer Andy Copland. "He was like an older brother to me. Every year around my birthday he’d come over and take me to see bands. He didn't even care which bands, but they were always Canadian."

Among the acts who have so far generously donated their time and talent are folk rockers Elliot Brood, playing just a few days ahead of their appearance at SXSW in Austin, Texas and alt/crunk/zouk sensations The State of Things; Stephen Stanley of Lowest of the Low, together with Carla MacNeil, playing songs from their forthcoming album, and both Andy Maize and Josh Finlayson of the Juno-winning The Skydiggers.

Concert for the O'Keefes

Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Mod Club, 722 College St.

Doors 7pm, showtime 8pm

PWYC

All proceeds to go to the Iain O'Keefe-Kaufman Education Fund. (Scotia Bank a/c # 03012 00276 18). Information also available on Facebook, see "Concert for the O'Keefes." Thanks to The Mod Club for donating the room, to all the acts for their time and talent.

For more information, please contact:

Sean Davidson, publicist, (416) 835-8555 berserk@symaptico.ca

Andy Copland, co-organizer, (416) 550-4222

Edited by Guest