Jambands.ca

Van Halen tour postponed.

Esau.

[color:red][edit to add]

Original thread title: Van Halen tour cancelled?

Thread title edited since at the time of posting this (mar. 2), the rumor was the tour had been cancelled, today (mar. 3) it appears that the tour is only postponed.

[color:red][/edit]

------------------------------

Not sure how official it is, but not really a big surprise I suppose..

Sources tell TMZ the Van Halen tour has just been canceled!

We're told arrangements are being made right now to cancel hotel stays for the tour -- which was scheduled to continue through April 19th. Sources tell us the reason for the cancellation is Eddie -- that he is having "issues."

The last three shows had already been canceled. There have been reports that Eddie was out of it during concerts -- and video of recent performances in which his guitar playing was atrocious.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/03/02/van-halen-tour-unhinged

Here's the video that TMZ links to, where Eddie is seen throwing his guitar on the ground and then knocks over a couple amps while leaving the stage.

Edited by Guest

Here's the video that TMZ links to, where Eddie is seen throwing his guitar on the ground and then knocks over a couple amps while leaving the stage.

No wonder he was so mad, that performance fucking sucked ass. Roth was actually riding a giant inflatable microphone.

And the problem there is.......?

...nothing, as long as you like tacky gimmicks and having your money stolen by slimy concert promotion.

This band should have played about 6 months in bars before embarking on a stadium tour to see if they still had anything at all. Obviously they don't and they should have realized this before stealing people's money. Scumbags.

And the problem there is.......?

...nothing' date=' as long as you like tacky gimmicks and having your money stolen by slimy concert promotion.

This band should have played about 6 months in bars before embarking on a stadium tour to see if they still had anything at all. Obviously they don't and they should have realized this before stealing people's money. Scumbags.[/quote']

Are you going to say the same thing when Phish decides its time or are you going to start making plans to have your ears pissed in at eleven shows in the Northeast?

Point is, David Lee Roth has been riding that giant mic since the 1980's, big stupid gimmicks like that are just part of a Van Halen show, so no one should be shocked by it.

It's not like people come home from an AC/DC concert and say "well it sure was good but why did the guitar player have to dress up like a stupid schoolboy?!?".

Ok how about this then, if you've got your chops, it's ok to ride a giant mic, cock, bull, pig, dildo, sneaker, elephant, whatever you want, as long as you're good. If you suck and lost your chops 15 years ago, then stay off the inflatables. Then you only sound bad rather than looking bad and the lead guitar player won't have to knock over amps in frustration.

Ok how about this then, if you've got your chops, it's ok to ride a giant mic, cock, bull, pig, dildo, sneaker, elephant, whatever you want, as long as you're good. If you suck and lost your chops 15 years ago, then stay off the inflatables. Then you only sound bad rather than looking bad and the lead guitar player won't have to knock over amps in frustration.

You're assuming that Eddie Van Halen kicked over the amps and threw his guitar out of frustration with David Lee Roth. It looked (and sounded, although the audio isn't exactly stellar so I can't be sure) that he was frustrated because of some technical problems he was having with his equipment. It seems logical that he wouldn't be surprised to see David Lee Roth riding a giant inflatable penis microphone.

That's exactly how I perceived it Hamilton and I would like to be able to echo Velvets sentiments but I didnt see a show. However, I did read a number of stellar reports from early on in the tour and did see some clips that seemed to indicate the shows were really good at one point.

For the record, I saw Van Hager on the OU812 tour and was so unimpressed with the band (Eddie especially) that I skipped them every time I had the chance since. Last minute decision had me at the Montreal show and I was very impressed with the whole band, and Eddie was on fire. Plus, they really looked like they were having a blast.

Too bad about cancelling the rest of the tour. I woulda gone again if they were close.

Too bad about cancelling the rest of the tour. I woulda gone again if they were close.

Actually I never stated the tour was cancelled, hence the question mark & opening statement.

At the time I posted this thread the bands website had no info on the rumor, today they have this posted...

From their website...

VAN HALEN DALLAS, CINCINNATI, RALEIGH, & BALTIMORE CONCERTS POSTPONED

LOS ANGELES, CA -- March 3, 2008

The Van Halen concerts in Dallas, Cincinnati, Raleigh, and Baltimore have been postponed. According to Eddie Van Halen's physician, he is undergoing a battery of comprehensive medical tests to determine a defined diagnosis and recommended medical procedures.

The March 3rd Dallas concert at American Airlines Center has been rescheduled for Thursday, April 24, 2008; Cincinnati's March 5th concert at U.S. Bank Arena has been rescheduled for Tuesday, April 22nd; Raleigh's March 7th concert at RBC Center has been rescheduled for Sunday, April 13th; and Baltimore's March 9th concert at 1st Mariner Arena has been rescheduled for Tuesday, April 15th.

Fans should retain their tickets as they will be honored at the rescheduled concerts or ticket refunds will be issued at the original point of purchase.

http://www.van-halen.com/news.html

From Billboard:

Despite reports to the contrary, sources with Van Halen tell Billboard the band's tour is not being canceled, though tonight's (March 3) scheduled show at the American Airlines Center in Dallas has been postponed and rescheduled for April 24.

Three other dates have been postponed while Eddie Van Halen undergoes medical tests: Cincinnati (March 5) is rescheduled for April 22; Raleigh, N.C. (March 7) is rescheduled for April 13; and Baltimore (March 9) is rescheduled for April 15. The source says the outing picks up on March 11 in Charlottesville, Va. Tickets for the scrapped dates will be honored at the new shows.

Van Halen, who has battled cancer and substance abuse, "is undergoing a battery of comprehensive medical tests to determine a defined diagnosis and recommended medical procedures," reads a statement from the group's management. No further details were given.

Van Halen returned to the road last fall with original lead singer David Lee Roth for the first time in 20-plus years. The tour, which features Eddie Van Halen's teenage son Wolfgang on bass, has routinely sold out North American arenas.

The current schedule has shows booked through April 25 in Sacramento, Calif. Van Halen is also slated to perform six days earlier at Tiger Woods' Tiger Jam in Las Vegas.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003718728

I'll be editing my thread title/question in a few seconds.

I don't know how much tickets are or were for this tour, but I'm sure it was WAY too much to see those guys playing covers of themselves 20 years ago.

I have little time for concerts right now but if I did, this wouldn't be on the top of my list. You'd have to go to a lot of shows and just see things for the sake of seeing them or be a Van Halen nerd to go see this one. Do they play anything new?

To be fair, I wondered if I would have the same thoughts about Zeppelin if they took to the road on a huge stadium tour without any new material. You know what, I think I would be pissed. And I worship Zeppelin. I don't want to see them play only 30 year old songs. I'd pay $5, $10 maybe even $20 to see a really good cover band.

Edited by Guest

I'm not saying you wasted your time (actually I am saying that) I just assume you fit into one of the two categories I laid out.

It's nothing personal.

At least Phil never stopped touring. I don't think you can look at it the same. maybe.

Well, I'm convinced.

Here I had thought that the show was really good. Turns out I threw away my $50 on a show that really was a waste of time. Thanks for the heads up there Mr. Rat.

That's hilarious Velvet! Thanks for the morning laugh.

Boiler Rat feels the same way about Van Halen as I do about Guns n Roses.