Jambands.ca

Sad News: Patrick Swayze has 5 weeks to live

Jaimoe

Here is an AP release that was issued 20 minutes ago - shame on "news" outlets running with the sensationalized release from the Enquirer.

Swayze Being Treated for Cancer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Patrick Swayze is being treated for pancreatic cancer but is doing well enough to continue working, his representative said Wednesday.

The "Dirty Dancing" actor has a very limited amount of disease and appears to be responding well to treatment, according to Dr. George Fisher, Swayze's physician. Fisher's prognosis was included in a statement released Wednesday by Swayze's representative, Annett Wolf.

"Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects," the statement said.

It also said earlier reports that Swayze had a matter of weeks to live were exaggerated. "All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic."

Swayze, 55, has two films in the works: the movie "Powder Blue," and a television movie titled "The Beast," according to the Web site imdb.com. Both are scheduled for release this year.

pancreatic cancer; the jamband killer. It's taken many fine men. Most memorable for me Mikey from Widespread. It really is THE worst cancer isn't it? I feel for the man, he can dance circles around me, Mark Tonin and backbacon in what would be the best dance off EVER!

hmmm.... this thread has me wondering what I would do with my time if I just found out I had five weeks left to live.

jeez what a thought... I guess I would stop doing everything and live everyday to the fullest... eat at the best restaurants, travel down south for a couple weeks, visit all my family and friends - play lots of music - eat lots of chocolate.

I'm so fucking sick of cancer. Fuck cancer.

And I love Patrick Swayze. That guy was hotter than hot back when I was say... 12 or 14. And just now, reminiscing how hot he was, I'd say he's still hot.

Nobody makes clay pot making look sexier than him.

I hope he kicks the shit out of his disease. It quadruply deserves it.

UPDATE: Patrick Swayze's publicist confirmed to TMZ that the actor has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. However, the publicist shot down the Enquirer's claim that Patrick only has five weeks to live: "Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic.'" Best of luck to Patrick and here's hoping for a safe recovery.

Fuck cancer.

this would be a great slogan :)

A friend I made at the cancer clinic here in Hamilton when I first started my rads back in 97 made stickers & shirts for a few of us "like minded" folks with that very phrase on it. I still have the shirt somewhere I think.

It's going to be a short, terribly painful and inhumane death, so knock yourself out.

for those of us who have actually had family members die a terribly painful and inhumane death due to cancer, we dont necessarily need to always be reminded of that. sometimes levity isn't all that wrong.

It's going to be a short' date=' terribly painful and inhumane death, so knock yourself out.[/quote']

for those of us who have actually had family members die a terribly painful and inhumane death due to cancer, we dont necessarily need to always be reminded of that. sometimes levity isn't all that wrong.

Having seen what cancer did to my dad, grandmothers, grandfather, family friends and one of my great Ryerson pals, I have trouble with levity. I just hope Swayze can kick this awful form of cancer.

A friend I made at the cancer clinic here in Hamilton when I first started my rads back in 97 made stickers & shirts for a few of us "like minded" folks with that very phrase on it. I still have the shirt somewhere I think.

'97. cool. So, are you in remission now, Esau? Ive worked with a lot of people at Juravinski and know that it's a wonderful place for treatment.

Having seen what cancer did to my dad, grandmothers, grandfather, family friends and one of my great Ryerson pals, I have trouble with levity. I just hope Swayze can kick this awful form of cancer.

Sorta having the same conversation with someone on another board who feels the same as you it seems, so I've kinda cut & pasted some of what I said there to here.

One thing I learned (which was paramount) while dealing with my cancer was never say never, always be positive and don't dwell on the possible bad outcomes. I was told I would never walk again after they removed four major tumors from my spine (they were growing on my nerves, literally), yet here I am today walking, even able to run to a degree - although I am still dealing with some after ten years I have yet to let it get me down. Just got to stay positive, plain & simple, as hard as or impossible as it may seem at times.

Even a 1% chance is better then nothing.

'97. cool. So, are you in remission now, Esau? Ive worked with a lot of people at Juravinski and know that it's a wonderful place for treatment.

Well, I guess the official word is remission, but for the most part I beat it according to the doctors, since my cancer (spinal ependymoma) was benign, so in a sense I was quite lucky as cancer goes. The worst part was location and the effect it had. Growing inside my spine and on my nerves it was numbing my legs to the point I couldn't move or use them, causing extreme undescribable pain in my lower back & at times I would lose all control basically from the waist down, I'll spare some details, but I think you get it.

I had two spinal surgeries to remove the most aggressive & trouble tumors, then I had about 6 month (5 days a week) radiation treatments, then a 4 month break and treatments two days a week for a few months. After that it was monthly check ups and eventually annuals, until they declared it finished.

The Juravinski is a great place, the docotrs, nurses & volunteers are all amazing people who do great work - I'm thankful to them all.