Jambands.ca

This Friday in Ottawa

Phunky Cauldron

On Velvet's advise I caught Don Ross last time he played this venue and I am so glad I did. Although it must have been over a year ago now, he still stands out vividly in my mind. Don Ross is truly amazing. At times I wondered how one man without fancy pedals was producing such full, emotional sound. I learned a lot from watching him.

GO SEE THIS!!!!

You do not have to be a student to go to this show! This show is $17 advance, $20 day of show, which makes it cheaper than the Black Sheep show. Plus, Don will be bringing bassist extrodinaire, Jordan O'Connor with him, and a percussionist too. The show will be starting around 8pm, so it will be done by around 10:30 at the latest; no need to be torn. Folk = early show, jam = late show. Folks that jam get loads of music!

Oh yeah, I just noticed that the FW show is at Zaphod's, and therefore also an early show. Well, Zaphod's sucks, really hard, and believe me, I'm not just saying that.

The show is at Alumni Theatre, in the Southam Hall building - pretty easy to find.

Yeah Brad, I'm promoting this show, and I say bring your taping gear (you'll be glad you did), I've taped previous Don shows. I'll ask Don if it's okay to tape, I'm sure it'll be cool. You might even be able to get a patch - Don told me he was gonna record this show for a possible upcoming live album (tingling with excitement).

Soooo.... we sit together 1st night Hampton and then you promote a show against me. That's how it's going to be, eh?

[Wink]

Zaphod sucks.

Ferriswheeler does not.

It will be an early set (as usual). We'll be off stage at 11 sharp.

It would be awesome to see you guys - come up early! The show starts at 8pm, hope to see you.

Plus Dave-O Yes, Zaphod's is the only one doing any sucking in this equation. You know I know Ferris Wheeler rocks and now you know I know you Know it.

By the way, I've had this show booked for months 'n months, hence methinks it is YOU who has the gall to book a show opposite mine, even after standing next to each other first night Hampton! Har! Have a good show my man, too bad they conflict.

Hey all...just wanted to let you know in case you didn't, that DON ROSS is playing at Carleton University on Friday night. Don is one of the worlds great acoustic guitarists, and this show is gonna be awesome. Maybe I'll see you there. Maybe The Tummies will open the show.

According to Carleton's event listing, tickets are available at:

• Ottawa Folklore Centre, 1111 Bank Street
  • Lauzon Music Centre, 1345 Wellington Street
  • CD Exchange, 142 Rideau Street
  • Doozy Candle, 744 Bronson Avenue

I was wondering about the taping thing, too. I'll probably bring the gear and check with Don Ross' people there.

Aloha,

Brad

Hey guys, there's also a Led Zeppelin tribute band called Black Dog playing at Barrymore's on Friday night. No idea what time it starts but usually the headliners go on at around 11:00 or so at Barrymore's. I have no idea what these guys are like, but I love Led Zeppelin (John Bonham...yeah!), so I hope they do justice to the tunes.

quote:

Originally posted by Velvet:

Definitely bring your taping gear - I'm sure it'll be alright, I'll just get the final thumbs up at the show.

Funny coinky-dink - My old band actually opened for Jason Bonham at Barrymore's. So the place has real-live Zeppelin (related) history.

My old band opened for the Dead Milkmen at Zaphods ... not as impressive, but it's what I've got to work with [smile]

Rob Not Bob

NP : Tony Levin Band - Double Espresso

i think that's very cool. [big Grin]

I got to see them once years ago in toronto - that's what i love about t.o. you just walk down the street and see a club with "Tonight - Dead Milkmen" on the marquee - then you just go in. lickity split like...

quote:

Originally posted by h:

i think that's very cool.
[big Grin]

I got to see them once years ago in toronto - that's what i love about t.o. you just walk down the street and see a club with "Tonight - Dead Milkmen" on the marquee - then you just go in. lickity split like...

The name of the band I was in at the time was Uncle Alvin's Messy Sandwich ... at the close of their set, the Milkmen said "Thanks to Uncle Alvin's Messy Sandwich ... they make us feel a lot better about our name" [Cool]

Rob Not Bob

Drifting further and further off topic ...

NP : Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy : Live 95-96

No sweat. I'm not sure how/where I'll be set up (i.e., whether I'll be using the mics, or patching off the board [unlikely, but possible]), but bring the MD, and I and the Nick Of Time Taping Elves (NOTTE, pronounced like "Latte'") will set you up.

Aloha,

Brad

Archived