Jambands.ca

Asheville bound! / Asheville log

captainsunshine

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

We had a beautiful weekend here and got to explore a bit more of the super-amazing landscape around here. We drove past Lake Lure, which is where some of Dirty Dancing was filmed.. Crazy beautiful!

This is Lake Lure (sorry it's not a better photo, we were in the car.. But beautiful anyways!)

DSC04397.jpg

We then stopped in Bat Cave at a cool little tiki bar with a pool and a stream to swim/fish in. We planned to go swimming but we got there a bit too late in the day and decided on beer..

This is the view of Chimney Rock from where we were sitting in the tiki bar..

DSC04402.jpg

The bar was well-equipped with rednecks (entertaining ones!) and these 2 trucked in on their cooler-mobiles!

DSC04410.jpg

And these are the beautiful stream we played in..

DSC04413.jpg

DSC04415.jpg

DSC04420.jpg

DSC04422.jpg

DSC04447.jpg

DSC04454.jpg

DSC04457.jpg

DSC04464.jpg

Lots of fun!

Our next project is to explore hidden swimming holes in the area.. We hear there's a lot, it's just a matter of finding them!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A few weekends ago, Baj's parents came to visit and we take those opportunities to take them somewhere we've never gone so we can learn even more about our amazing home..

We took them to the Cradle of Forestry in the Pisgah National Forest.. I learned so much there! It was set up on the actual spot where George Vanderbilt set up the U.S. Forestry Service that eventually went into effect for the entire United States. It was super interesting, and there was even a trail that led throughout the canyon where the original log cabins that housed the students as well as the original classroom and other memorabilia scattered about.

Here are some pictures!

It was a hazy day!

July2008013.jpg

July2008014.jpg

July2008016.jpg

Inside the school house:

July2008018.jpg

July2008020.jpg

July2008023.jpg

July2008025.jpg

A guy was out on the porch making these awesome candle holders!

July2008029.jpg

July2008030.jpg

July2008031.jpg

July2008033.jpg

July2008037.jpg

July2008040.jpg

July2008042.jpg

July2008045.jpg

July2008047.jpg

Fun stuff!

• 2 months later...

THANKS BRAD !!!

been having a music gold rush lately

got to catch Emmitt Nershi band here last

night at this tiny intimate lounge and it was

so great to hear the old bluegrass sound of sci

coming through with nershi in fine form along with emmitt bringing the LOS out live for me for

the first time.

Highlight was definately a great stripped down version of Texas one of my old cheese favs :)

3.jpg

7.jpg

Tomorrow were hittin up this.... :D wooooo

allman-phil.jpg

I've told you aLot of tings tigger ;)

Allmans & Phil was fun, first time to Charlotte and their amphitheatre, which was an easy in and out no security hassles great place for my first visit...

Allmans started it off and were sounding great, my highlight was a nice long 'the other one tease

then into whipping post.

Phil&friends opened with a rippin' cumberland blues...then lost some momentum but brought it back strong with golden road then later darkstar>so many roads>darkstar...sounded so sweet :)

Cumberland Blues

Gone Wanderin

Rock-n-Roll Blues

Minglewood Blues

Row Jimmy

Golden Road To Unlimited Devotion

Uncle John's Band

JAM

Dark Star (v1)>

So Many Roads>

Dark Star (v2)>

In The Midnight Hour

Donor Rap/Intros

E: Cosmic Charlie

AllmansandPhil4_10_08017.jpg

AllmansandPhil4_10_08076.jpg

AllmansandPhil4_10_08035.jpg

AllmansandPhil4_10_08068.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey y'all! Haven't been around lately, but decided to drop in and say hello and share some pictures!

It's just turning into autumn here, and things are sure looking beautiful! We took a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway and we found more reasons to love it here!

The trees were super bright in the higher elevations!

10-12-08062.jpg

We went up to Mount Mitchell , which is the highest point east of the Mississippi.. It was hella cold, but super beautiful! We had a lot of fun exploring the forest!

10-19-08100.jpg

10-19-08088.jpg

10-19-08066.jpg

10-19-08049.jpg

10-19-08021.jpg

10-19-08009.jpg

And here's my favorite fall picture of the Asheville area.. (we didn't take this one!)

Blue_Ridge_Mountains_op_800x644.jpg

It's quite an amazing place! :)

Excited for this Saturday! Yet another reason I love this city!

"The event sponsors ask that the citizens of Asheville celebrate themselves. Rejoice in their consistent choice to support local economy. Take pride in devoting themselves to enjoying locally produced food, beer, and products, and forever continue to support locally promoted and produced music. This is a free event of true quality, given to the patrons of Asheville. Why? "Just Because You're Asheville."