Jambands.ca

Dining Out & Tips.

MarcO

Well, what's the consensus?

Any cheapskates still figuring 10% is enough of a tip?

Would you agree it's more in the 15% - 20% range these days?

Before or after taxes?

Ever have a place add the tip onto your bill for you? How did you feel about that?

Ever left NO tip? Ever left an absolutely amazing tip?

Do you tip at take-out places? What about chain fast food places?

etc etc.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/02/07/the-new-math/

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/the-answer-man-on-tourists-and-tipping/#more-397

I have two methods for tipping.

If it's a cheap restaraunt, or I'm there for lunch, I leave $3-5. That's usually much higher than 15%

If it's a pricier meal then I add the taxes together for my tip total.

I have left a restaraunt without leaving a tip, but not in a long while. A server has to REALLY screw the pooch for me to be so cruel.

I can't stand places that include gratuities in their pricing unless I'm at a resort where I don't want to constantly have to give out money with every drink or service, then it's nice to have it included.

Ellicottville Local: What's the difference between a Canadian and a canoe?

A: A canoe tips.

I generally leave 15% to 20% of the bill (not incl. taxes). But, I have been known to leave exact change when warranted. Good service = 20%. Mediocre service = 15% but rounded down. Really bad service = really small tip. Of course, on a greasy spoon lunch, the tip can be as high as 50% (~ $2.00! ;) )

The problem in Ellicottville is that wait staff expects to be tipped regardless of the quality of service.

a while back i read about a valet at a restaurant in NYC in the 1950s who went and fetched Frank Sinatra's car.

Sinatra asked him about the biggest tip he'd ever received, he replied "$20, sir". Sinatra flipped him $50 and as he was climbing in to the car he asked the valet, "So who was it that gave you that $20 tip?"

"You, sir"

Probably BS but there you go.

let's see...that's a lotta questions.

i tip at least 15% in a restaurant. on the total (i don't exclude tax or booze or whatever...i can't be bothered to do all that for a few bucks. well i guess i could if it was a pricey meal, but also i never remember that pre-tax rule!)

if the service is terrible i will leave maybe 10% if they're lucky.

if it's a true takeout place i don't usually tip (never at fast food), but if it's an actual restaurant and i'm getting takeout from it i leave a couple bucks.

i only leave an amazing tip if the person has given us a free meal, free drinks or something like that.

I tip 20% on the total before tax, rarely leave less than 15% and can't remember never leaving a tip.

I don't tip on fast food or anywhere that has a tip jar.

If you combine the taxes to calculate the tip, keep in mind that the GST has dropped 2 points so what used to be a 15% tip in Ontario would now be 13%. I think. ;)

On the one hand I find it offensive when a restaurant calculates in the tip with the bill, on the other hand it's usually less than I would have left so I just pay it.

15% before tax is my rule of thumb for normal restuarants with good service. if it's brutal service, take-out, or exceptional service, that percentage varies up or down.

the last server (and restaurant - remember that most tips are shared) that got no tip from me brought me undercooked chicken, created a scene when i asked to have it cooked more, then spilled ice water on me. i asked the manager to cancel my cheque, was denied, but didn't have the cahones to just walk out. so i paid the bare minimum.

Yeah I go around the 15% - 20% area - to be honest it sometimes depends on what the total was relative to the denomination of bills/change I have on me - but I always tend to leave a couple of dollars more than I think I should have to.

Here's another scenario - what do you do when you are dining out with a friend or two and they leave their portion of the bill + tip..... but you realize they are being very cheap on their portion of the tip?

As someone who, for years, made my living on tips I always leave 15-20%, after tax- I have to keep the karma flowin'.

As a foodie I am impressed when a server is knowledgable about the food they are serving, can make appropriate wine suggestions and is helpful, without being intrusive. I appreciate a server who treats the job as a profession. They deserve respect and a good tip.

I often over tip at bars, mainly b/c I'm drunk. I've only not left a tip once, and the server was beyond rude.

For some reason, when the bill comes all of my math skills go out the window. It could be the wine.

anyway, last friday we had an excellent dinner at Mambo Neuvo in Ottawa byward market and it came time to pay the bill. I realized just now that I tipped on the total. I would have just added 15%, but I think it came out more like 20-25%.

Here's another scenario - what do you do when you are dining out with a friend or two and they leave their portion of the bill + tip..... but you realize they are being very cheap on their portion of the tip?

A scenario I'm very familiar with - I've had friends who were such tightwads. They always left next to no tip. It got to the point where I refuse to dine with these people.

One friend, when out with a group of us, would grab the bill right away and start telling everyone how much they owed. Turns out he was collecting enough money to pay for his own meal, and even putting a couple of bucks in his pocket!

I usually tip average amount.. but I find it interesting that a tip amount is expected. If the service is horrible then why give them more??

I may have never left a tip before.. but I'm sure the waitress was horrible...

I went to breakfast with a friend.. and I tried to get the waitresses attention numerous times. She pretty much ignored us, never once asked how are you doing.... and she made us wait for a good 10 min. after we were done. I think we left like... 95 cents on a 14$ and something cent bill.

If the service is amazing then I would gladly pay a bigger tip.. even just a little effort=better tip.. it should be earned, not expected...

I've had friends who were such tightwads. They always left next to no tip. It got to the point where I refuse to dine with these people.

Really? you won't eat with friends because you disagree with how they compensate the staff? or is the past tense intentional? or is 'friends' a loose term?

I've had friends who were such tightwads. They always left next to no tip. It got to the point where I refuse to dine with these people.

Really? you won't eat with friends because you disagree with how they compensate the staff? or is the past tense intentional? or is 'friends' a loose term?

i can see that. some people are just less liberal with their money in social situations and over time that can begin to rub. still fun to hang with as long as no money is invovled, i guess. very delicate subject to discuss, eh? lol

Edited by Guest

I'm sure there are just people that regularly do not account for a tip when they decide that they have just enough to go out for dinner and a few drinks. Instead of saving the last bit for a tip, it can easily turn into another beer.

Booze over tip.

Past tense was intentional - this happened in the late 80s. Now that these guys are older, they've loosened up a bit with the gratuities, so we have been out with them more recently. But it was embarrassing when the bill came and they'd pitch in $8 for a $7.95 meal.