Dining Out & Tips.

MarcO

To

Insure

Proper

Service

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip#Etymology

The word "tip" is often inaccurately claimed to be an acronym for terms such as "to insure prompt service", "to insure proper service", "to improve performance", and "to insure promptness". However, this etymology contradicts the Oxford English Dictionary and is probably an example of a backronym.

Aloha,

Brad

that's gotta be about 25%, for one "service," and twisting off of a cap. the interaction lasts 2 minutes if the bartender is slooooow. the beer likely wasn't made by anyone in the establishment, it likely wasn't recommended to you by the bartender... so, yeah. a dollar is way too much (in my books).

for those who don't see the point in being "expected" to tip, bear in mind that in quebec, at least, servers are taxed as though they have been tipped. I forget the actual percentage, but I think it's somewhere around 9% or 10% of total sales. this means that if you tip less than that in Quebec it cost your server money to serve you.

I'm a 10-20% tipper, ranging from terrible to very good service (after tax).

As for tipping on individual beer, I've developed a system for places where I get the same server throughout the night. I alternate back and forth between a high and a low tip so that at the end of the night it evens out to being a fair tip.

Edited by Guest

honestly, i dont even drink. im just the beer mule sometimes.

but here's my strategy: tip big at the start of the evening (at least a dollar per beer/water) and make a point of saying hi. as the evening wears on, the bartender may remember my face (the biker scars are also quite notable) and may get my next beer before he serves the bouncing buxom blond bimbos beside me. hardee har har har

I'm convinced that some folks that tip the bare minimum are also the ones that look for a waiter to make a mistake however minimal so they can tip even less. It's like they have a little mental minus book going on in their head that they continually add minus marks to.

As for tipping, I usually tip 15-25% on top of the tax.

Hey MarcO, just ask for separate bills when you get together with a group. I've been burned so many times on a mega-bill by cheapwads that either leave early or don't or won't take into account tipping on a large communal bill.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this thread yesterday and thought I would revive it.

I was thinking about how people say they won't tip if the service was bad. I honestly can't remember the last time I got bad service at a restaurant. There have been times when the food was not as

good as expected, but any decent restaurant has professional and well-trained servers, and the service is almost always good, if not excellent.

The only places I consistently receive lousy service are the fast-food joints - Subway, Burger King, etc. And you don't tip anyway at those places.

i tip pretty randomly. at restaurants, i add the taxes and then add a few dollars on top of that. and sometimes, if it's only couple dollars extra on top of that to bring it up to a nice, round number, i'll do that... the way i look at it, is that extra extra little bit is only $2 to me, but it could be the difference between making someone really happy, especailly if they've been serving crappy cheap people that day.

at bars, i tip $0.50 to $1 per drink. not usually less, but if i'm running out of cash by the end of the night, i may go down to quarters.

i don't like to tip cab drivers or delivery people more than a couple of bucks. i don't know why, i just don't (although if people are all going in on food and throwing money in evenly, i enjoy it when it works out to a ridiculously huge tip for the driver).

i tip at the tim hortons drive thru sometimes.

this past weekend i tipped the girl working at the princess cinema a dollar, just because my total was $24.

if i get full serve gas & the person cleans my window or is really friendly or it's very crappy weather out, i will tip them maybe a dollar or two.

tipping totally random people is fun sometimes because if they aren't doing a job where they expect tips from everybody, they are very appreciative!