Jambands.ca

Smoking FActs

headymamamyrna

There are more than 4000 chemicals in tobacco smoke 50 are highly poisonous and cancer causing.

After 8 hours of quitting,the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops.

After 24 hours the chance of a heart attack decreases.

After 48 hours your sense of smell and taste improves.

After 72 hours your lung capacity increases.

After 2 weeks to 3 months your circulation improves and you breath 20 percent better.one year later you've cut your risk of heart disease in half.

Now don't get me wrong here i am not trying to say anyone should quit.i just found this so interesting that i had to share plus I have lost too many loved ones over the years from smoking and i am sure you all have.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quit 6 months ago...

sorta..........

there ain't no sorta. if you've had a smoke in the last 6 months' date=' you haven't quit. now you're just belittling those that really and truly quit. just stop already.[/quote']

no offense meant(at all)(you rock for quitting!) but thats exactly what you are not supposed to say.

Next time try...mabey...wow you have nearly done it dude! Way to keep up the effort!I'm impressed! I know you can do it and that it's a journey that is unique to the individual. Then perhaps suggest seeking some help from outside sources trained in helping you kick it for good. Meditation, excercise, hypnotherepy, Allen Carrs centers, breathing, gov. help lines, a revised quit date plan, recognizing triggers and having a plan et et et...try try again...keep up the good effort! You are loved.

oops..edit to add..you only said something rather than nothing because you care..I didn't mean to jump you Bouchers.;)

Edited by Guest

I quit 6 months ago...

sorta..........

there ain't no sorta. if you've had a smoke in the last 6 months' date=' you haven't quit. now you're just belittling those that really and truly quit. just stop already.[/quote']

It's just that jealousy thing again eh bouche...

you know you want to smoke.......

And for those not planning on quitting, could you please refrain from littering the sidewalks and roads with discarded cigarette butts.

Do people eat off the road or something? I have to see chemicals dripping from peoples vehicles but I can't throw a cigarette butt in the street? Why do I have to deal with the pollution and ramifications of peoples automobiles but people can't deal with my cigarette butts?

P.S. Smoking is cool, just ask these dudes..

Slash.article.jpg

keithr.jpg

n761800318_391327_6697.jpg

Sorry, just sticking up for us smokers out there. *cough cough*

There are more than 4000 chemicals in tobacco smoke 50 are highly poisonous and cancer causing.

After 8 hours of quitting,the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops.

After 24 hours the chance of a heart attack decreases.

After 48 hours your sense of smell and taste improves.

After 72 hours your lung capacity increases.

After 2 weeks to 3 months your circulation improves and you breath 20 percent better.one year later you've cut your risk of heart disease in half.

This is all hearsay and I don't believe a word of it!

Yup- you know being a reformed smoker- I must say- smoking is cool to me! - - I can still remember how good they tasted! But really, and I don't know why I weigh in on this when I am utterly silent on the board otherwise, if you are sneaking smokes while saying your quitting then you not quitting- I'm all for supporting the effort put into stopping smoking since it is apparently bad for your health (not that living in the world today isn't in many ways) but I firmly believe that this is a cold turkey situation. The more you drag it out the worse it is...it’s like a BandAid on a hairy arm- just rip it off quick. Ok maybe that is a bad analogy but I bet you can relate to what I'm saying.

And honestly those three months were some of the hardest months I ever went through- but I also think if a weak willed person like me can manage it anyone can do it if they put their mind to it.

So bottom line- enjoy it while you can and quit when and if you’re ready!

Smoke 'em if ya gott'em.

I've always thought the excuse "I'll quit when I'm ready" was always pretty weak. The truth of the matter is that you just might never be ready, and that's no reason to keep smoking.

When is ready? After you've been diagnosed with cancer? check out Patrick Swayze shortly after his cancer treatment. Also a quote from his brother concerning how he's battling cancer:

"Patrick's brother Don revealed the 55-year-old star took the news well, and is now trying to remain as healthy as possible."

swayzeSPLASH1302_468x899.jpg

all i'm saying is- and this is from a reformed smoker- until your ready you might be fighting a losing battle- ok granted this is from my perspective.

I imagine a large percentage of people these days who are smoking are probably quite aware of the odds.

As I recall I sure did and it did not cut down on my enjoyment of it.

As I said I'm just weighing in.

Dude, fighting in the Civil War and smoking are so TOTALLY two different things! Also, last time I checked, people died from a lot of other stuff too.

It's nice to know that people have concern for others well being and I would NEVER encourage someone young to start smoking but really, lay off! It's a personal choice that I choose to make. I don't smoke indoors where a child breathes it in and can't smoke within 20 fucking feet of any public building anymore. Who the hell am I hurting other than myself? I don't go around informing people that smoking marijuana isn't exactly candy for your lungs. It's none of my business how much someone drinks or uses drugs providing it doesn't affect my life, so why should I tell them to stop? It's their choice. If someone wants to skydive, bungee jump, eat at Arby's or any other kind of extreme, crazy thing it's none of my business.

Edited by Guest

good thing you have the safety net that is canada's health care system to take care of you when you get sick from smoking (and you will get sick from smoking)

i guess one could argue smokers are hurting all those who would rather tax dollars went into education, other health care, anything else...

good thing you have the safety net that is canada's health care system to take care of you when you get sick from smoking (and you will get sick from smoking)

i guess one could argue smokers are hurting all those who would rather tax dollars went into education, other health care, anything else...

This is why ALL taxes from cigarette sales should be funneled into the health care system (same goes for alcohol). On the same method, ALL taxes from gasoline sales for cars, etc. should be utilized for road repair, construction, public transit, and all other transportation infrastructures.

NewRider, you are a "model smoker" showing that you are doing what you can to ensure that others aren't bothered by your smoking. Good on ya, more people should act like you. I do agree with you that it is your choice and that nobody should bother you since you are complying with all the regulations regarding smoking. Same goes for drinkers ... drink all you want, just don't get behind the wheel, or puke on anyone and you're good to go :)

But here's the thing: if you don't get sick and end up in the hospital because you're a smoker, you're going to get sick and end up in the hospital for something else. Everyone dies, and if you don't die in a traffic accident or from a sudden, unexpected heart attack you're likely to be in the hospital requiring medical assistance before you go - and the longer you live, the more medical assistance you're likely to need. You could argue that longevity costs health care tax dollars, too.

Yup- you know being a reformed smoker- I must say- smoking is cool to me! - - I can still remember how good they tasted! But really, and I don't know why I weigh in on this when I am utterly silent on the board otherwise, if you are sneaking smokes while saying your quitting then you not quitting- I'm all for supporting the effort put into stopping smoking since it is apparently bad for your health (not that living in the world today isn't in many ways) but I firmly believe that this is a cold turkey situation. The more you drag it out the worse it is...it’s like a BandAid on a hairy arm- just rip it off quick. Ok maybe that is a bad analogy but I bet you can relate to what I'm saying.

And honestly those three months were some of the hardest months I ever went through- but I also think if a weak willed person like me can manage it anyone can do it if they put their mind to it.

So bottom line- enjoy it while you can and quit when and if you’re ready!

Smoke 'em if ya gott'em.

what she said. it will be two years for me and niffermouse come this june, and the only secret is to never have another cigarette again.

on the minus siude, it was months of reprogramming myself, on the plus side, the chronic bronchitis and chest infections that used to plague me every winter are gone.

i tried for years to quit, and totally agree that "you will do it when you're ready." if you feel like you might be ready, check out Allen Carr. His book made all the difference for jennifer and i...

in a nutshell, if you think quitting smoking means that you are giving something up, you will feel bad about it, and the process will be harder. if you can realize that you are addicted, and that you are in fact breaking free of that addiction, it will be much easier...or at least that's how it worked for me :) your mileage may vary.