Jambands.ca

Lamb Chops

AD

I bought some garlic and rosemary lamb loin chops tonight and i need your help to cook them, as i have never done this before and am not nearly as knowledgeable as some of you with techniques, ingredients etc... there are 6 chops, totalling about 0.4 kg.

i don't have the hugest or most equipped kitchen, so that is a factor as well. i have an oven and a stovetop, skillets, glass pans, wok, frying pans, etc... but nothing fancy.

so, can anyone help this beginner make some delicious lamb?

edit - no rush, would ideally like to cook these up for dinner friday

Yup, I agree with Jay and Dinghy. For chops, just a pan sear on a relatively high heat. Kepp it medium rare though.

If you were asking about rack of lamb, I'd recommend a pan sear to start and finishing them in the oven. Again to medium rare. Lamb is ruined at medium and well done.

Enjoy the lamb. It's one of my favorites!

pan sear - i will have to look that up, unless anyone wants to give some more guidance on how i accomplish this.......... thanks for all the suggestions so far. i love lamb, just have to get to the point where i can cook it myself!

AD its easy.

Make your pan hot on medium high heat. Season the Chops with Salt and Pepper. Use very little oil, just enough to create a buffer in the pan. Place the chops in the pan. After 1 1/2 minutes turn them over and repeat. When you are done use about a half glass of red wine to de-glaze the pan. Reduce the wine for a minute or 2 and then remove from the heat and whisk in about 2 teaspoons of cold butter** to make a nice sauce.

If you have a cast iron skillet use that.

** this is called montee au beurre. Its a french technique for finishing a sauce made in a pan and leaves it with a velvety smooth texture. make sure the butter is cold though!

Edited by Guest

One minor adjustment to M.O.B.E's recipe...after you sear the chops remove them from the pan before proceeding with the sauce as described.

Chops are bitchy because sometimes the shitty ones have no meat and it's easy to overcook them. If you had a good quantity I would suggest stewing them since all those bones make flavourful stock/stew. But it sounds like you only have a pound so the pan sear seems good. You could use some more agressive flavours if you wanted..indian flavours would be good. So would M.O.B.E's sauce with a small spoonful of pommery or good mustard.

You're a lamb.

The McDonald's in Mumbai had lamb on the menu in the form of a kebab and some sort of curryish thing if I remember correctly.

More importantly: I love mustards.

I made lamb curry last night and I have lots of dry mustard in my curry blend.

The leftover rice became rice pudding at 1030 lastnight when I had the munchies too ;)

I am also going to attempt cooking lamb for the first time this weekend. I found this recipe for Spinach Stuffed Lamb and picked up my huge boneless leg of lamb at Costco for $25.00 today. The recipe sounds delicious so wish me luck that I won't screw it up and can impress the hell out of my parents with a yummy meal.

Any suggestions of what may go good with it? It's filled with spinach, feta, and garlic. I'm thinking a greek salad and maybe some sort of seasoned rice.

Well, it was kind of a disaster truth be told. (My execution, not your suggestions)

The chops were already seasoned, so I didn’t bother doing any of that. I heated up a large frying pan with a very little bit of oil, and cooked the chops for 90 seconds each side. I took them off the heat and cut them open and they were still raw on the inside. I know they should be pink when eaten, but not raw. So I put them back on the heat for another minute each side, checked them out, they looked sufficiently ok. The taste wasn’t great, parts were still raw, while parts were way overcooked. To top it off, I guess I ate some of the raw stuff I was trying to avoid, as my stomach wasn’t too happy with me a couple hours later, if you get my drift.

But, I know lamb is soooo good when done properly so I will have to try again.

Hmm...we probably should've asked how thick they were. 90 seconds a side is a bit on the rare side if they're more than an inch and a half or something.

If you're keen on a medium-rare lamb dish, grilled or broiled, I'd go for a deboned leg, marinated as one piece, then grilled. As for timings it depends on thickness but you can treat it like a thick steak and press it for the doneness you want. I just find chops to be too much work for the amount of meat...and you end up paying for all that bone when it comes down to it.

For curries, lamb stews the lamb shoulder is good bang for the buck because it holds up to cooking and it's not as pricey as leg of lamb.

Come to think of it...I'd really like to make Gigot de sept heures has anyone tried it?