Jambands.ca

politics and jambands.ca

snarfmaster C

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, jambands.ca is still a kick ass place to hang out and all props out to everyone who work so hard at it. I imagine it to be quite a bit of work and it must send a prick right up their asses to hear people complain about thier site, however we certainly should want/demand/already have the power and freedom to speak our minds. This is just a website owned by a person, the community is our's.

I just noticed the slip thread announcing SMMD dates got 20 views in a couple of days. waste. If that thread was in the general forum, way more people would read about and get hip to the tour. This seperate forum is hurting the band. Period. The only reason I even noticed that thread is beacuse I wanted to proove my point. It didn't take long.

I just noticed the slip thread announcing SMMD dates got 20 views in a couple of days. waste. If that thread was in the general forum, way more people would read about and get hip to the tour. This seperate forum is hurting the band.

Do you guys want the Slip to break up? If not I say kill the Slip forum!

And the argument I've heard made (we're trying to teach people to go to other forums) is as weak as the argument Eugene has made regarding Zaphod's early shows - that they're trying to train the Ottawa public to go to bars early.

I don't think that's the argument. What subforums do is foster discussion on the theme. There have been more political discussions spawned by the politics forum than if it didn't exist and politics was left to the general forum. Same goes for sports, food, etc.

I agree that the audience discussing the topics is smaller and that's a shame. I really wish people would make an effort to visit the subforums. It might seem like a pain in the ass at first but I really believe it will become second nature if you give it an honest chance.

I think the video forum is ridiculous.

Youtube videos can be of anything. Videos shouldn't be a subforum. They should be included wherever, whenever.

ugh.... what on earth are you typing about? Any embeddable videos can be posted in the youtube forum. it's an repository of videos posted. what couldn't be more clear about that?

Here is a link for everyone to bookmark, or even www.jambands.ca.

If you go to the index, you can see what forums have NEW posts by the icons being ORANGE. You need to be logged in to see new posts. Someone spent alot of time to code that functionality, so it'd be great to see people use it.

You can also add a forum to your FAVORITES by clicking on My Skank, and then "Add forum to favourites"

Then setup viewing your favourite forums only, by clicking on the link at the bottom of teh My Skank Menu "View Favorite Forums". If you want to view all forums, then you just click on the same link now titled "View all forums". The site remembers that setting for you so the next time you visit, you have a PERSONALIZED forum index.

Give it a try. I promise you'll find things a little more organized for your own personal tastes.

ugh.... what on earth are you typing about? Any embeddable videos can be posted in the youtube forum. it's an repository of videos posted. what couldn't be more clear about that?

it's clear what it is. i just don't get the logic of moving some topics to say, the politics forum and not moving youtubes to the youtubes forum. but really, whatever. it's not like i'm looking to arm wrestle over it.

Edited by Guest

... something fascinating ...

[color:green]

Do you really need a printed copy? Avez-vous vraiment besoin d'une copie imprimée?

is this becoming a common sig in emails? two people in my department now have this. in green too.

I think so. Half of my company has the "please consider the environment before printing this email" signature.

it's clear what it is. i just don't get the logic of moving some topics to say' date=' the politics forum and not moving youtubes to the youtubes forum. but really, whatever. it's not like i'm looking to arm wrestle over it.

[/quote']

topics that are started as a video post are moved to the video forum, provided someone who has move rights sees them. however, if there is a thread that is about one thing, and someone posts a vid halfway through the thread, that won't get moved. Every thread starts with a post and the original post is what general navigates it's destination.

If things were SUPER busy here, posts would actually have to be split and sometimes even closed if they got off-topic. That happens in forums that are so busy that you need 4 moderators live and active at all times.

This isn't that kind of place. So don't get offended if sometimes a video slips by, but if you see a vid 5 replies into a thread and it doesn't move, it's not breaking any forum organizational rules.

i liked d_jango's post - i think that was really well put.

building on that, where i'm coming from is that i don't come to jambands to necessarily get too deep into any political topic (though i do appreciate that, and am certainly NOT opposed to it!) obviously there are many more sites that cater to political discussion. but for that reason, i don't usually go to the politics forum.

i miss the breadth of the discussion that would come to a topic in the cavern (or whatever this general forum is called): the more widespread participation, silly jokes, teasing, and most of all the sharing of a wide range of perspectives and experience that would come from this place.

I agree that the audience discussing the topics is smaller and that's a shame. I really wish people would make an effort to visit the subforums. It might seem like a pain in the ass at first but I really believe it will become second nature if you give it an honest chance.

So the sub-forums are more convenient, or take more effort?

And if audiences are smaller isn't that proof that the experiment didn't work? Or, more relevantly, I suppose it means the experiment hasn't worked yet.