Jambands.ca

My best friend...

Esau.

This morning, I said goodbye to my best friend Hud.

hud12yh.png

He hadn't been acting himself for the last two days, so I took him to the vet this morning, fully expecting to be home together later on.

Poor Hud had some abdomen issues & possibly something else that currently escapes my memory, all relating to age. Apparently he was probally living with pain and was not letting us know or showing any signs for concern.

After a solid two hours with him alone at the vet, weighing all options; xrays, bloodwork, possible surgical procedures in Guelph (pending xrays/bloodwork) and full knowing that the possibility the results wouldn't be any different, I made the hardest decision I have ever made in my life. Emotional devastation.

Now, I sorta feel like I've let him down.

Twelve and a half years of unconditional love, friendship & welcoming tail wags, peaceful brown eyes that were always warm and smiling, a thousand miles worth of hikes, countless camping & canoe trips throughout Ontario together, a few adrenaline charged surprise canoe flips while trying to catch a loon - you were something else my friend, a wonder to behold with a personality impossible to ignore.

My life is better for having shared it with such an amazing soul, and the thought of not seeing him when I wake up tears my heart out.

Thank you Hud, for being my best friend, you are loved, you can never be replaced and I'm sure as hell gonna miss you buddy.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry! Losing your dog is one of the worst things anyone has to go through... i lost mine this past summer.

I'm sure he is in a much better place now up in doggie heaven, running around like he was 2 again, drooling, barking and wagging his tail.

I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing.

For what it is worth, I think you made the right decision. Sometimes in the human race, death and dignity do not go hand in hand. This does not sound like the case for Hud.

I'm sure Hud heard this a few times...

"What do you want me to do

to do for you to see you through

A a box of rain will ease the pain

and love will see you through

...It's just a box of rain

I don't know who put it there

Believe it if you need it

or leave it if you dare

But it's just a box of rain

or a ribbon for your hair

Such a long long time to be gone