Jambands.ca

humans...animals?

dancingbear

i went to a talk today on the concept of childhood. at some point a slide pops up saying children/humans are not 'animals' because of a myriad of reasons all to do with cognitive functioning and ability.

i think this is b.s. we are a seperate species because of it, but all species have some crazy abilities ie. change colour, run real fast, etc.

does anyone not think we are animals?

on a side note... i was waiting to weigh this girl today, and the girl who was on the scale comes up to the girl and says i'm ..... The girl waiting says i'm .... but did not speak clearly at which point the other girl turned her back and walked away. the waiting girl called out 'my hearts not broken anymore' (she just had surgery to repair a congenital heart defect). i guess she could of just been bragging, or it could of been more 'why cant we play, i'm fixed now'. anyway i found it interesting.

Edited by Guest

i know i am when I've got my scotch gaze* workin

*Scotch gaze: Toward the end of his life, British author Kingsley Amis sometimes appeared in photographs with a resplendent sheen on his forehead, nose and cheeks. Some people call it "sweat alcohol," a common problem among heavy drinkers, Alexander Waugh writes in Bookforum.com. "On both of the occasions on which I had the pleasure to meet this funny and distinguished man, he drank whisky throughout lunch and by the afternoon was wearing that slightly bewildered, slightly aggressive, slightly penitent expression known as the 'Scotch gaze.' . . . It is an expression curiously unique to whisky drinkers."

i went to a talk today on the concept of childhood. at some point a slide pops up saying children/humans are not 'animals' because of a myriad of reasons all to do with cognitive functioning and ability.

I disagree also. Cognative funtion and ability comes into as we grow. I've been home in the daytime with my kids for the last 4 years. I have a 4 y/o, 2 y/o and 7 month old baby.

This has been my main comment to all my friends about having kids. Also its my little experiment to keep myself amused all day. Kids are amazing little creatures.

They are just like animals until roughly the point that talking becomes a part of their life. Babies right from the first seconds of life are little animalistic creatures. A healthy baby sniffs and grunts at its mother for food. They have all kinds of little sounds for things they want (not including cries*). I was amazed when I noticed with out first daughter that she can tell if her mother is in the room or not just by sniffing the air.

I can slowly notice the change now that we have 3 kids all at different stages of development but its blowing me away every time I notice one of these little things.

The presenter was an idiot. Who was giving this talk on childhood?

I didn't understand the rest of the post, really, but I thought 'my hearts not broken anymore' was tragically beautiful (beautifully tragic?).

d/jango SAId

"""The presenter was an idiot. Who was giving this talk on childhood?

I didn't understand the rest of the post, really, but I thought 'my hearts not broken anymore' was tragically beautiful (beautifully tragic?)."""""

man i can never get the quote thing right when quoting a quote or unquoting a quote.

yeah...the two are connected only in a 'humanity' type of way... i just added it in, as i didn't want to start a whole new thread.

the talk was given by a pediatrician...but to her defence she was talking about all these theories of childhood put forth by people . so the viewpoint might not have been shared by herself.

Edited by Guest