• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CHECK OUT THE ARTICLE IN THE SUN TODAY!

JMX_0242_2.jpg

http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment/Music/2008/04/18/5321141-sun.html

By ERROL NAZARETH

It's like class is in session in Musical Theory 101 when Josh Laing holds forth about his trio Chameleon Project.

But what can sound cold and academic when reduced to description, is anything but in execution.

The trio's arsenal includes jazz improvisation, electronica and dub reggae and they do a stellar job making music that is warm, cinematic and highly textured.

Tempos and styles change when you least expect, but it's never jarring or done to impress you with their knowledge of genres.

For proof, pick up their just-released CD, "... if it takes all night." Or catch Chamelelon Project tonight at the El Mocambo where they're opening for Bass Nectar.

"Part of the reason we go by the name Chameleon Project is because we can morph into different sounds, we play different gigs and live in a lot of different worlds like reggae and jazz so sometimes you hear all that in one song," says guitarist Josh Laing, whose department also includes FX and real-time sampling. Bassist Snappy Homefry and drummer Tyrone Caissie round out the group.

Laing is aware that hitting listeners with different vibes in the same tune can be attractive to some ears but can also turn others off. However, he says, "It's what keeps us interested as players."

Then there's the fact that the band lacks a singer. Let's face it -- hardcore jazz and classical music fans aside, folks respond more favourably to a group with a vocalist than one comprising instrumentalists. I've seen the following scenario play out several times in clubs: The audience will listen with rapt attention for the first few songs then recede before spending the rest of the evening chatting over their beers.

"That's certainly an obstacle, but for someone who listens to a lot of jazz and electronica, instrumental music isn't so odd to me," Laing says.

"One of the reasons I like instrumental music is because as soon as you open your mouth to say a word, it conjures up all these images in your head. But, sound is just sound."

But music, too, has the ability to transport listeners and serve as a personal soundtrack. The dense, exotic music of guitar wiz Pat Metheny springs to mind immediately.

"Sound texture is the most easily recognizable thing that even a layperson would know," Laing says. "You can hear, like, half a bar of a B.B. King solo in a song and you know it's him but you have no context. That goes beyond understanding music, it's that sound and it can affect people's emotions and that's something you want your music to achieve.

"I think some jazz players neglect texture in their playing, it's all notes."

Laing says the concept for Chameleon Project emerged from the free jazz workshops he organized while studying and teaching at York University.

"I learned a lot of these techniques and I thought, 'As much as they apply to non-tonal music, you can really apply this to tonal music with a beat and make it happen in terms of live electronic music.' "

Laing says the band's first album was more abrasive and experimental than "... if it takes all night," and confesses it could have been pared down into something more digestible.

Now, he says, the group is all about making music that's accessible while maintaining their "artistic thrusts."

"We pay a lot of attention to arrangements," Laing says. "To get those transitions (within songs) to work without totally throwing your listener the other way is a challenge so we really focused on that and tried to refine the sound."

And how does he respond to those who call the music cerebral?

"We do that and then we'll get into a soul-jazz kinda groove you might hear on a Lou Donaldson record," he says. "So, while we go in outer space there's always a tether to Earth.

"I've studied so much music and I look to the masters of the past like Count Basie or someone contemporary like Amon Tobin to use their innovations," Laing adds.

"There are lessons to be learned there, they're all musical tools and you put them in your toolbox and you bring them out at the right time."

Wow! That's great you got some solid press guys! Have fun at the show... I'll be there in spirit.

Hey Will we miss ya' buddy. Come visit sometime!

Keep it smooth compadre!

Yea definatly a solid artical and wicked to see you guys growning, and your deffinatly misshed shredda, there no one to disscuss and argue complex thoughts and theorys between set anymore hahahaha

a brief review:

1) that place smelled like my sock drawer.

2) filthy fucking electro hippies are the worst breed of hippy. Burning Man called, they want their identity crisis back.

3) an artist that refers to himself as Bassnectar deserves a sound system that can produce some thick fucking bass. The stereo i keep in my bathroom would have done him more justice. awful fucking sound in there. especially a little further back.

4) what the fuck happened to that venue? it used to have a sweet lounge and some personality...

5) fucking putrid in there. thick, disgusting heat.

maybe i'm just a little bitter because its 8am and i'm at work.

Chameleon Project played awesome but they played a killer short set I would have loved to hear them play longer, and your right Dima after Bassnectar started and the jaw grinding,"Electro" Hippie vitamin poppers started to get a boogie on the place did stink up pretty quick, Bassnectar isnt quite my thing, ive decided but I still had a good time seen lots friendly faces, Congrates on the new CD Chameleon Project its getting some killer milage on the stereo today and its only 8:45 am haah

I really really enjoyed the show. I do prefer live bands to Dj's but Bassnectar is freakin awesome. IT was extremely hot in that room..but it didn't take away from the awesomness :D I thought it was crazy how the floor would move up and down...

Chameleon project was also awesome.. it was great to see so many people groovin!! I got the CD and it looks great!! I am about to listen to it too :D

Hope he comes back :D

review from www.tribe.ca

i don't even know how to put last night into words. the crowd was thriving, the beats were KILLING, the energy was overwhelming, I am left speechless. This was by far the best night out for me, breaking my bassnectar cherry!

ill gates set was non stop murderous track after murderous track. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the new album, seriously. thanks dylan, once again you've delivered without fault.

Bassnectars set is hard for me to remember because I think my brain checked out from stimulus overload. all i remember is loving his "bass tones test" at the beginning; clever. not to mention then endless barrage of bass-heavy, tweaked out dubstep/glitch. What a nice guy too!

Always a pleasure to see Robb G bustin out with his awesome dance moves, I am going to go ahead and say that Robb G is the man when it comes to partying and tearing a strip off the floor.

Big thanks to everyone who went last night and made it a great party

My muscles ache, my ears are ringing and my head is a little foggy. All signs of a great night out.

another review from www.tribe.ca

damn. that shit was proper.

best bassnectar set in toronto by far.

great seeing everyone out too. i remember a few moments of looking out from the stage during lorin's set and seeing this wall of jumping joy. it was crazy. i don't think i've ever seen toronto so happy...

i can't wait til all those people realize that it's dubstep that they were freaking the fuck out to.

a brief review:

1) that place smelled like my sock drawer.

2) filthy fucking electro hippies are the worst breed of hippy. Burning Man called, they want their identity crisis back.

3) an artist that refers to himself as Bassnectar deserves a sound system that can produce some thick fucking bass. The stereo i keep in my bathroom would have done him more justice. awful fucking sound in there. especially a little further back.

4) what the fuck happened to that venue? it used to have a sweet lounge and some personality...

5) fucking putrid in there. thick, disgusting heat.

maybe i'm just a little bitter because its 8am and i'm at work.

i wonder if they are thinking the same thing about punkass hair gel hyper accusatory fratboys.