Jambands.ca

More bit torrent headaches with Rogers illegal downloading

kookycanooky

Check out this email my dad received from Rogers...I've been using bittorrent for years...he tries once and this is what happened...any tips/suggestions (aside from ignore the email)?

thanks dima, maybe delete your post too?

they basically know exactly whats been downloaded...I always thought they send a threatening email with a vague idea that something has been downloaded and not specifically. crazy.

Edited by Guest

I received one of those last year from Cogeco. Basically, it's Hollywood paying a company to fish for people sharing Hollywood movies via P2P. What they do is snag your IP from the Torrent swarm for a particular file/movie. Then, their software waits to maintain that you are indeed not just receiving, but also sending out the data from those files. When they do this, they contact your ISP. It's the ISP's duty to then inform their customer. That's all that letter is. It keeps the ISP (Rogers) in the "good books" with Hollywood.

They figure that threatening letters like this will scare people off P2P. Legally, Hollywood can't shut you down because I believe that we are not within their jurisdiction for the laws they say that you are breaking. If you were Stateside, it might be a little different.

Simply ignore it and continue on. Unless Rogers gets these sorts of things frequently about you they are unlikely to act upon it. Especially if you give them any resistance.

Share on :)

GREAT. I'm moving soon and i think i'll have either cogeco or rogers. so not only am i going to have to deal with downloading and uploading caps, i'm going to have to deal with someone telling me not to break the law via email? jeez.

do you think if i move my bell sympatico account with me to the new place they'll keep my account cap free?

Edited by Guest

Further to this is Bell's weak response:

Link

I hope we see the CRTC take a stand to protect the public from these types of invasive and underhanded tactics. After all the tax dollars sunk into that company and to support the CRTC it would be nice to see it serve its mandate.

Once again, Fuck you Bell.

FunkyBeats.

I love how Bell says they introduced traffic shaping and all that shit, but when they did it they wouldn't even admit to it!! It's only through the pressure from customers and wholesalers that this has busted wide open.

I like how they spin their numbers as well;

Last fall, before the Company began deployment of its Internet traffic management solution to ease network congestion during peak usage periods, 5% of users were generating 60% of total traffic on the network and 60% of that traffic was P2P traffic, including BitTorrent. During peak periods, that same 5% of users were utilizing 33% of available bandwidth. In other words, 95% of Bell subscribers were being negatively impacted by a very small minority of Internet users primarily using P2P file sharing applications.

Fuck Bell.

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-throttling-isps-exposed-080421/

torrentfreak.com — Data collected by the BitTorrent client Azureus shows that Comcast might only be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to BitTorrent throttling ISPs. Early findings show that customers from quite a few other Internet service providers experience an unusually high amount of TCP-resets.