Jambands.ca

Lister Block Collapses in Hamilton...

Sarahbelle

Today I went to go to my favourtie little study spot, only to find the street where it is located totally blocked off.

There is a huge old building in Downtown that the city has been debating over for awhile. It started to fall down last night, and apparently is leaking natural gas. It's pretty crazy and such a long story because peopel have been fighting to save it for awhile. It's totally crumbling and has been abandoned for like 30 years. Some of you may have seen it on the corner of James and King William (right near pepperjacks..)

read about it below..

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/355547

It's a sneaky trend called demolition by neglect. I bet the owners had no interest in renovating the building, not unlike the last row of Georgian buildings on Shuter Street @ Jarvis in Toronto that lay dormant for two decades only to start to collapse, ushering in the city ordering its demolition last year. I almost puked.

Quote from: Tired Eyes on Stillepost

"I just read the Spec this morning, it's the adjacent building on King William St. It was already slated for demolition. I'm sure the 'Downtown Cave - In' headline and adjacent footage will reinforce certain stereotypes among the Spectator's readership and some will not read far enough to find out the main Lister building was not affected, much less consider the role of deadbeat property speculators in the downtown's state of affairs. Watch the spec in the next few days, I predict a resurgence of 'tear it down' letters."

I wondered about that, actually. When I read the article, it first said that it was the next building, but then it kind of suggested that it was the Lister as well.

Stupid Spec - it always has been a second-rate paper.

My mistake. I misread. I still think the Spec is second-rate, although I admit it has gotten slightly better over the last few years.

Edited by Guest

I find that very suspect! On the news within the past few days they did a story on abandoned buildings in Hamilton. Mostly talking about that one on Hess that has had numerous fires, and is very easy to squat inside now despite boarded up windows. They even talked about the lister block, saying how that was one of the buildings they kept an eye on. They had some people debating about how the city of Hamilton was neglecting its own duties by not taking care of these old empty buildings and that the downtown core looked like hell because city counsellors have been ignoring it... blah blah blah...

Anyway-very interesting that the next day the lister block is being demolished, after telling the public they 'keep an eye' on it.

The Saga continues....

The building has been torn down. It's pretty wierd seeing a big hole where a beautiful old building used to be. It's also pretty bad because the Business that just opened right beside the building(a Restaurant called Thai Memory) has been totally blocked off and is loosing money every day...

• 4 weeks later...

Thai Memory fundraiser friday May 23 @ Pepper jack Cafe

The hard working people at Thai Memory, just across the street from us, had their business abruptly closed by the collapse of a nearby building on the Lister Block in mid-April. This benefit is being held to help raise funds to assist their recovery from this very difficult situation. Though only open a year, the restuarant has grown to be a very positive element in the downtown core and represents the realization of a life-long dream by owner Pat Satasuk and his wife.

featuring performances by:

SARAH GOOD

ANNIE SHAW

MARK RAYMOND

MATT JELLY

TERRA LIGHTFOOT

plus special guest DJ'S:

JEREMY GREENSPAN (of the Junior Boys)

GARY BUTTRUM

More tba..

Plus: Surprise Guests.

Thai Food.