Jambands.ca

Jamhub.ca no more?

Walletsworth

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Jamhub.ca was started because (as i was told) Graham had a stake in PhishSanctuary.com and was excluded from www.jambands.ca - basically Graham felt stifled - so he started jamhub.ca on his own.

He didn't really do to much to keep it going - but banners were free - the frontpage news stories were fresh and the jamband scene at the time was very east coast. (GTB, JSB and the now defunct Aaron MacDonald Band)

With an influx of stickers and logos on posters on the East - Jamhub.ca became very east coast - Shane McCartney had something to do with helping get it's branding out there on the eastcoast as did another Graham - from Fredericton. I did a lot of content on the site - interviews with Brad Barr, SCI, Keller Williams, Michael Franti - which many of the articles appearing also on jambands.ca.

I am all for reviving jamhub.ca ~ jambands.ca is obviously a great resource for the community - but I would have to say that jambands.ca does very little to bring new people into the community - I've put the jambands logo on my flyers when it was appropriate - but I don't think that other than there is a concentrated effort to grow the community. I think the Jamband scene is probably the weakest it's ever been - maybe all would be different if PHISH was still on the road - it's become a very small exclusive club - I feel great being a part of it - I think that the scene stakeholders need to band together and try to bring the scene out of it's slump and try to attract more people to the great resources of online communities like this one.

I very much hope the new management of Jamhub.ca uses his concert promotion abilities to bring a new group of fans to the table. Jamhub isn't so linked to the "jamband" moniker - which is at this point a pretty out-dated term.

I think that the scene stakeholders need to band together and try to bring the scene out of it's slump and try to attract more people to the great resources of online communities like this one.

1. That is what Bouche is trying to do.

2. Why go to the trouble of creating something "like this one" instead of just using this one?

I have no stake in this whatsoever, but it seems really silly. And no, I haven't emailed the guy to discover the magic reason for a "separate community" (an oxymoron), but if he has such a great idea, why not share it?

As far as these sites being a viable business, well, I suspect that is a pretty tall task.

I think bouche should stay out of this thread. Any time he posts anything near a jamhub topic it's always judged incorrectly like he's got an agenda of some sort. I assure you he doesn't care one way or the other about jamhub, and I don't mean that to sound negative in the least.

Bring on jamhub.ca, why not? Bring on any site that promotes music and community. The internet is huge and there's no competition here.

AD, I think Bouche is a great guy - the guy has certainly done a lot of work to make the website very user friendly and open to the public. I am grateful to his work - this community surely would not exist without his dedication to this messageboard. I'm just confused of what point you think you've made. Where does Bouche say in this thread that he is marketing the site to attract new users?

Jay, Ms. Huxtable ended the discussion, but please.....

You east coasters are super welcome here.

But if you want your own forum, I can easily setup a forum that is for you guys if you want. Vote in a moderators, and and I can setup rights for your moderators.

I can even setup more customized features for that forum if need be.

It might be a fun little project.

Although Jamhub.ca was started because (as i was told) Graham had a stake in PhishSanctuary.com and was excluded from www.jambands.ca - basically Graham felt stifled - so he started jamhub.ca on his own.

first of all, if you don't really know the facts, you probably shouldn't be typing. if you were 'told' something, that doesn't make it a fact.

There seems to have been a spin put on things that isn't really aligned with reality to say the least (and really unrelated to the topic at hand). To be clear on one point, the only people that had any stake in phishsanctuary.com was the sole stakeholder, myself. i paid the bills, developed the site and spent all my free time programming asp pages and a database and interface for users to manage shows. I dropped that when I decided to consolidate all kinds of features into the forum. but that's all there is to phishsanctuary history. For anyone to imagine a different scenario is retarded. So there you have it plain and simple.

but I would have to say that jambands.ca does very little to bring new people into the community - I've put the jambands logo on my flyers when it was appropriate - but I don't think that other than there is a concentrated effort to grow the community.

to clear that up, there is alot of work that has been done (ongoing) with SEO (search engine optimization) to ensure that engines like Google keeps Jambands.ca ranked as high as possible. It takes a lot of work to direct material for review and tickets for concert reviews around and then to ensure that there is content delivered and then published and that is a big part of not only providing something for the community but also within the SEO activities that I would have to perform as well. A domain doesn't get ranked on Google without content or it's relevance.

Anyways, I suggested something about giving a place for the homeless without someone having to work out a site. If that was a dumb idea fine. I don't know what made Jaydawg steer off that gesture.

Forget I mentioned anything. Please go back to your regular scheduled programming.

No offence there Bouche, are you saying that Graham had nothing to do with Phishsanctuary?

Are you saying I'm retarded? The aforementioned take on the story was relay to me by various people - seems to make some sense as there must be some type of coincidence that both jamhub and jambands started out of Ottawa.

just stirring the pot here folks... :)

No offence there Bouche, are you saying that Graham had nothing to do with Phishsanctuary?

Are you saying I'm retarded? The aforementioned take on the story was relay to me by various people - seems to make some sense as there must be some type of coincidence that both jamhub and jambands started out of Ottawa.

just stirring the pot here folks... :)

Nope, i'm not saying that you're retarded. To quote me:

For anyone to imagine a different scenario is retarded
really only means that the scenario is retarded. Just don't believe a retarded scenario.

I said what i had to do with phishsanctuary. don't you go trying to put words in my post, because that would be retarded. Going from the time I bought phishsanctuary.com to transitioning to jambands.ca is a long story and a lot of work that doesn't pay anything. I don't really feel like posting it all since there are other things I can be doing like setting up some chicken drumsticks and thighs for an overnight jerk marinade so I can bbq them slowly tomorrow for a killer dinner.

I would like to think i had something to do with jamhub getting as big as it did in the start but in the end it turned out that Graham had very little time or motivation to keep it going. I took a part in getting the website switched to a different owner because i thought it was a good enough site to keep going and if someone new wanted to put some time and effort into it i think we could have another nice new community that will hopefully help the scene as a whole grow because as of late it has been a pretty sad state of affairs in the east.

Who cares how or why jamhub was started this is about more than just some BS rivalry.I know Graham spent a large amount of time on jamhub for years and never made a profit. It is unfortunate it had to leave his hands while the site was in such bad shape, but it is new hands and hopefully things come together once again for it.

I think the Jamband scene is probably the weakest it's ever been - maybe all would be different if PHISH was still on the road - it's become a very small exclusive club - I feel great being a part of it - I think that the scene stakeholders need to band together and try to bring the scene out of it's slump and try to attract more people to the great resources of online communities like this one.

Based on what Mike said above, I think he's doing as great a job in trying to promote membership in the community as a guy at a computer can do. The weakness of the "scene", whatever that is, has more to do with the music than the effort being made to promote it. If people aren't buying your product, it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't know about it. Maybe they don't like the product, or they would rather spend their money in a different fashion. The "stakeholders" that you speak of - the ones who can affect things the most and who are most affected by things - are the musicians, performers and promoters, not the guy running the website.