Jambands.ca

Blue Quarter is the bomb shiat!!

weezy

I was just listening to some Blue Quarter mp3's from their site www.bluequarter.com and FUCK IT'S GOOD. They have an excellent balance of rising groove and musical space. The chapman stick has a beautiful, organic sound - so unique. I'm sure most people here have heard them at some point, and I have too, but on second and third listen it's even better.

They just played here on Tuesday - unfortunately I missed it, but they're playing again on Friday - then the SEAMLESS SETS WITH THEMASSES on Sunday! Helllllll'ss ya.

Back in Victoria...tonight Blue Quarter with members (percussion/drums) of the Wassabi Collective at Lucky for anyone in the area. Good times [smile]

I agree with Weezy, the stick sounds beautiful, these guys are definitely vying (sp?) for one of the hardest working bands in this country, worth checking out.

I love the Chapman stick when he gets the Trance shit cooking, but I do find it a little of a one trick pony on the more conventional tunes.....

What I love is their rythym section, the bass player and drummer are both incredibly in tune with one another and they really hold the shit together....

If these guys had some production (killer lights) and maybe some more percussion, stuck to the high energy trancey dance numbers, they could really go somewhere....

You're absolutely right, Trance is not the answer for everything.....But Trance is obviously what they specialize in....it is what they are shooting for.......and when you watch the crowds reaction to Blue Quarter, when they get the trance going on, everybody is moving and shaking.....when they do conventional tunes (such as that A Train tune the other night), people are talking and socializing and yapping....down time does that....a little down time (ie "Wading in a Velvet Sea") is good (go for piss, fresh beer)....a lot of down time, well, good night gracie.....

Music good = people shut up and dance (or watch, stare, oogle, whatever...)

Music just Ok = people yapp

Music suck = people leave

doesn't matter is it's trance, newgrass, funk, jazz, jam....

Hey weezy, that sounds like a freaking incredible time for you.

Blue Quarter is definately unique. I won't forget hanging out on the couches of Sherzo's in Kingston with my brother boooooche and some pals just a wee bit zonked.

THat was the first time hearing them, and it must have been over a year ago. They really kick ass. Have a blast bro!

I really like Blue Quarter. they're great guys with great talent. whenever i heard them i always thought 'nero meets the new deal' but to be honest, the stick does seem to be a bit of a ont trick pont...it's the texture of the tapped notes. a lot of it seems too cold and digital for all the numbers. again, this is me being picky...case in point: when i went to algonquin for radio, i got free cd's...one was vinyl killer(drums and tuba) - i listened to it and thought it was cool but some of the synth textures got on my nerves and i gave it away, only to buy it for 20 bucks a year or so later at a show...i don't like cold, opaue sonic ideas. (a transparent aspect of sound would be you not noticing it's something imposed, rather it seems like it IS the sound - i appreciate genuinity in my music and at the time i was distracted by sharp, crisp digital sounds and it bugged me)

now if it were only a warr guitar instead of a chapman stick...

The first step in your journey to acquire the Ultimate Tone!

Archived