Jambands.ca

Recovering Files - lost memory stick!

Large Marge

most likely not. If you have used the computer since then there is even less of a chance unfortunately (and the initial chance is very slim). If you'd saved a copy to the hard drive then you could probably recover it but, well, poopy situation. I've lost 3 USB keys so far and they all hurt so I've learned never to use them.

I guess that doesn't much help but don't get your hopes up. Even if you had saved them to the hard drive the chance to recover is slim unless you pay for it.

Sorry :(

Never depend on a tiny little 1 inch USB key or memory card to have the only copy of anything important. they're meant for transporting data, not storing.

I don't know of any tricks that would recover your files if you've never saved them on your computer. I'm not sure why you wouldn't have ever saved a file on your computer. Maybe you did at some point?

A temp version of the file may be on your HD. Do a seach for *.tmp and look for a file last updated around the time you were working on it. You may have to rename the file extension to match the original file type, like .doc for a work file.

Problem with tmp files is that they usually aren't an actual copy of the file, at least with word and other MS products, most often they are a list of the changes that were made to the good file, this keeps the file size smaller.

If you are looking for these, MS uses specific names for it's tmp files. For example, Word will make tmp files that resemble wrdxxxxx.tmp (where xxxxx is anything, it's the wrd representing word that's important). If you want to go this way, you'll have better luck getting the text back by opening the file in a program like notepad and looking for blocks of text, not fun.

Everyone should listen to bouche, don't ever use a USB key as the only storage. Here's my trick: Start a gmail account. When you have things you need to keep a copy of, email them to your gmail account and they will be there. Also, save them on your USB and on your computer then you're good to go...

Another thing I've seen with a found USB stick was a file on the stick in the mail folder that was called READ_ME_IF_LOST.txt and inside it had the email address of the person and a note saying there would be a $20 reward. I emailed them and they got their USB stick back (I didn't accept the reward). Most people probably wouldn't do that but I hate losing the stupid things so if I find one I will always try to figure out who it belonged to and at least get them their files back if possible (put them up for download or email if getting the stick back is not possible).

Maybe if the file used to be saved somewhere you could go to that containing folder and go to properties then previous versions and choose a past date of that folder that would have had the file.

what are you talking about? What previous versions?

On windows networks there is the option to do backups and offer a tab in the properties dialogue which contains these backups. In other words, you can go to the previous versions tab and you can select any date available there and see the folder on that particular date, copy the files out, etc. We have that setup here at Algonquin for students and staff. The backups are done at 2am every night and you can always right click your network drive and see the last month or so worth of backups. It's a great idea but requires your networking team to have set it up this way. I'd post a screenshot but some idiot found some movies on mattm.ca and got me shut down by posting the links in forums (got kicked off the hosting for copyright infringement, oops, put them in the wrong folder).

FileShadowCopy.jpg

That's for a file but you can have it setup for entire folders as well...

The time of the Geek has come

Edited by Guest

Most people probably wouldn't do that but I hate losing the stupid things so if I find one I will always try to figure out who it belonged to and at least get them their files back if possible (put them up for download or email if getting the stick back is not possible).

Good man!