Jambands.ca

fun with your Mac (make it talk)

bouche

You tell 'em mattm!! I loooooooooove my new Acer laptop. Vista is so cool and pretty and just awesomely awesome. I mean, everything JUST WORKS! I saw someone in Bridgehead with an Acer and we just looked at each other and nodded and KNEW.

*bliss*

lol, I was kidding although I am firmly of that opinion, it just means I wouldn't buy one but if anyone else wants to waste their money. FYI, though, I do actually run Vista and I have had no problems whatsoever and don't understand why others do.

On a fun note, I got tiger running through vmware. Though it was mad slow it was pretty neat since osx is one of the only os's that won't run in vmware (odd since it's unix based and linux/unix run just fine). I wanted to see what the difference was between the Adobe stuff on a Mac and on a PC. Nothing, actually, since osx now runs on pc's, adobe has finally been able to make a more standardized version of it's various apps.

Acer sucks too though.

Edited by Guest

On a more serious note, may I ask, since I am in a mac loving topic, what is it about the mac that you guys like so much? Now that mac os runs on pc I've been thinking about dual booting (or tri booting) mac with my windows and linux to see what all the hype is about. I've only been able to use mac os a few times due to lack of supporting hardware but now it's possible with some slight mods to the os...

When you have a mac user, you most often have a mac lover who will defend it to the core and I've always been curious as to why? What is it about the mac that makes people (you guys in this case) love it so much?

The components of a Mac can be found in PCs. Os X is a cleaner and simpler OS for the average user, not for you dual-booting linux-commanding dorks who crack open calculators and mod them.

The Mac has aesthetic qualities to it that suit "hipsters" whereas PCs are designed to attract the eye of the "virgin". It really is important. If you don't think so then there's no woman in your house ensuring that whatever furniture you buy "ties the room together".

So Mac users (i.e. "people who have coolness and get laid from time to time") is it worth switching to Leopard, and if so why?

I love my iMac for all of these reasons, and probably for the simple reason that using Vista at work has been a big sloppy nightmare by comparison. It's not a "bad" OS it's just not good, and it's not designed with users in mind.

Dork:

1. Slang A stupid, inept, or foolish person

2. Vulgar Slang The penis.

hehehehehe

So Mac users (i.e. "people who have coolness and get laid from time to time")

hehehehehe

The Mac has aesthetic qualities to it that suit "hipsters" whereas PCs are designed to attract the eye of the "virgin".

hehehehehe, any guys out there that aren't gay should definitely get a PC if it will net them a virgin ;)

Lol, it's soooo funny reading mac fanboy posts. I could cut up the entire post, mostly because it isn't thought out and involves way too much emotion, not to mention doesn't make all that much sense, but I won't (if you want, I will but the post will be long).

Now, onto seriousness, don't switch to leopard if you don't have to. If you want to run osx on a pc then switch but otherwise you won't really gain much in the way of performance (might actually lose some) and leopard has many more bugs than tiger. On the other hand, there are a tonne of new features in leopard that might be attractive but it's also been given Unix03 status which is very good, means it is a for real derivative of Unix and that's pretty powerful (and somewhat contradicts the whole bugs thing as Unix is a fairly stable environment).

Comparisson (oct 2007): http://www.barefeats.com/leopard.html

Edited by Guest

why do I enjoy having a mac?

I'm still a PC user. I still have a PC that is chugging along and running Vista. I have been an incremental upgrader since 1995. In '98 when videocards became the bottleneck for gaming, that's when things slowly went nutz. You'd upgrade your vid card, and then you needed more ram. A year later, the chip had to be replaced, and likely the mobo with it, and possibly more ram. The vid card was fine. Then a year later, new vid card and the cycle repeated.

I was also always playing around with Microsoft development like VB, VB.NET, ASP.NET and running my own webserver for development and learning purposes.

my pc is at a point where I need to upgrade the entire fucking thing to do anything smoothly these days. Vista is a hog for an AMD 3200XP processor. It was smooth when I first installed it, but it's not smooth now. That goes with the windows territory though.

I got a mac a couple of years ago, and enjoyed the change. I didn't LOVE it, but since I was broken into and had to replace my previous mac with a newer model, I actually LOVE it now. the iMac is way better than my pc and there are no games for PC anyway so fuck upgrading it. Instead of learning anymore MS development, I began learning programming on the Mac using Cocoa to get ready to make shit on the iPhone.

The new keyboard for the mac is the best keyboard I've ever used. It's really fucking comfortable.

Basically, if you don't use your pc for gaming, you might as well use a mac. It comes with some pretty sleek software to begin with and if you're the type that looks for free shit on warez torrents, you can find stuff like photoshop for mac as well. I'm pretty much using the iMac for everything at home these days.

should you upgrade to Leopard?

YES. Leopard tricked me into getting an external drive to utilize Time Machine backup. Boy am I glad I did. When my mac was stolen, my external was left behind and I was able to recover my entire profile and personal media (wedding photos for example).

Also, before my mac was stolen, the old imac (G5) was getting pretty sluggish. When I ran the upgrade to leopard, it acted like a new machine. I did find out that there is an expected performance improvement but I think it did some file optimization in the install as well.

sorry for the nerd reply. but macs are worth owning.

Thanks bouche, that's the type of answer I was looking for.

That's so lucky about the external being left behind, was it hidden?

I saw a mac keyboard the other day at the computer store at school and it was almost like a sheet of paper you type on, pretty nifty, I thought about buying one but I would probably break it. Thing was wireless too, nice.

Yeah, once I read that leopard was Unix 3 certified then my outlook changes. I got tiger running in vmware as mentioned but that's the only experience I have with osx other than setting up wireless and such on laptops students and staff bring in which is easy but hard, easy if it works, hard if it doesn't :)

I'm really curious about trying to get it to run on this dell laptop. I know leopard will run on it just fine, I have a firewire and everything so it won't be mad if that's still an option that must be there. All I have to do is find a copy of it, I mean buy a copy of it.

Do you have the iMac (the computer that's built into the monitor) or one with a box like a PC? If you have the iMac monitor one, how is it for things like heating? Can you upgrade the hard drive or other components? I'm assuming the insides are like any computer, made by other companies and standard parts...

Thanks bouche, that's the type of answer I was looking for.

All that typing by bouche for what amounted to an argument of "might as well use a mac".

I say, might as well stick with what you're comfortable with because they're ain't much difference one way or the other.

Yeah but there was no emotional embellishments, no arguments that don't make sense (can't get laid if you have a PC, hehehehehe), etc.

What I'm really curious about is how much can be done with the mac, more in the background. I'll have leopard up and running on this dell laptop by the end of the weekend and I'll be hitting the terminal straight away. My job involves lots of linux and not so much in the way of flashy gui's but since leopard is unix certified and is the cheapest unix box I can get then it's the test platform. I just didn't want to admit to so much nerdiness :)

Thanks bouche' date=' that's the type of answer I was looking for.[/quote']

All that typing by bouche for what amounted to an argument of "might as well use a mac".

I say, might as well stick with what you're comfortable with because they're ain't much difference one way or the other.

And what did you say about Vista to me until you got that Acer? hmmm? You hated it without trying it. I told you that your feelings were unfounded and not really worth the effort to look for a laptop that shipped with XP. Vista is a fine operating and the online complaints are coming mostly from an anti-MS mob effect. Since you aren't speaking from a personal experience, leave the advice to those that have been working on both platforms, dinglenutz.

;)