Jambands.ca

fun with your Mac (make it talk)

bouche

Can I add that things do just plainly work. We have been running an iMac G4 at home since 2001. Don't need to run virus or spyware software. Never had a problem. When you plug USB things in they work. Have used 4 different cameras over they years plue em in they work. My MacBook Pro automatically switches from wireless to wired when need be. It knows. I never have to worry about drivers. We are finally upgrading the 7 year old home Mac to simply have a larger HD and faster processor. Everything I want to do with my old machine I still can. It's just finally time.

Yes you a pay a premium to run a Mac but I am the only one in my Company of 100+ people who has a Mac and I am the only who has never had a machine bloated with spyware and viruses. The cost of downtime to others more than makes up the difference in the up front costs AFAIK. Personally I don't care what anyone has or uses I just know what works best for me. But hey it's hard to beat a $449 laptop or a $299 Tower deal it's just not my cup of tea.

Edited by Guest

And what did you say about Vista to me until you got that Acer? hmmm? You hated it without trying it. I told you that your feelings were unfounded and not really worth the effort to look for a laptop that shipped with XP. Vista is a fine operating and the online complaints are coming mostly from an anti-MS mob effect. Since you aren't speaking from a personal experience, leave the advice to those that have been working on both platforms, dinglenutz.;)

Well if that's all you can say about it my point still stands. No point upgrading from XP if you don't have to.

And what did you say about Vista to me until you got that Acer? hmmm? You hated it without trying it. I told you that your feelings were unfounded and not really worth the effort to look for a laptop that shipped with XP. Vista is a fine operating and the online complaints are coming mostly from an anti-MS mob effect. Since you aren't speaking from a personal experience' date=' leave the advice to those that have been working on both platforms, dinglenutz.;)

[/quote']

Well if that's all you can say about it my point still stands. No point upgrading from XP if you don't have to.

no one says you have to do anything. why is this coming down to whether or not you have to get a mac or pc? This has been about preferences and experiences. there are very big differences in the operating systems and even the basic hardware (between mac and pc) your point just fell over on it's own weak legs.

no one says you have to do anything. why is this coming down to whether or not you have to get a mac or pc? This has been about preferences and experiences. there are very big differences in the operating systems and even the basic hardware (between mac and pc) your point just fell over on it's own weak legs.

In particular I was responding to this statement you made:

Basically, if you don't use your pc for gaming, you might as well use a mac.

Sounds like your advocating people dump their PCs for a Mac. If not then I'll stop.

Would you be able to fix it if you did?

I am supposed to based on our service level agreement. We have a test machine here but no one has ever needed to use it for researching an issue because there havent been any in 6 years, so your question is pretty much negligable.

This is fun, I knew it was a good idea to plant that spark of macs suck, nothing like a good old mac/pc argument.

Can I add that things do just plainly work. We have been running an iMac G4 at home since 2001. Don't need to run virus or spyware software. Never had a problem. When you plug USB things in they work. Have used 4 different cameras over they years plue em in they work. My MacBook Pro automatically switches from wireless to wired when need be. It knows. I never have to worry about drivers. We are finally upgrading the 7 year old home Mac to simply have a larger HD and faster processor. Everything I want to do with my old machine I still can. It's just finally time.

Yes you a pay a premium to run a Mac but I am the only one in my Company of 100+ people who has a Mac and I am the only who has never had a machine bloated with spyware and viruses. The cost of downtime to others more than makes up the difference in the up front costs AFAIK. Personally I don't care what anyone has or uses I just know what works best for me. But hey it's hard to beat a $449 laptop or a $299 Tower deal it's just not my cup of tea.

For the record: I used XP for the past many years (since beta) and the switched to Vista last year for the hell of it. I usually have a virus scanner on my computer but I never run it (I think I may have done 3 scans in the past decade), it's mostly for show because people believe that you need one. I have never had spy/adware and the only time my computer ever crashes is if there is a hardware failure or I do something stupid (I'm a programmer, I sometimes do things I shouldn't). Drivers aren't a problem because they are almost all geared to windows (try setting anything up in linux, now that's fun).

When it comes to USB, most USB devices have the drivers loaded on the device itself, or at least the basic drivers, and what's on the CD is the extra programs that 90% of the time you don't need. This is the case for both Mac and Windows. In other words, part of the discovery of a USB device is to ask the device to supply you some drivers, especially with things like USB sticks and cameras which need to work on any computers.

Windows has more virus and spy/adware attacks becuase more people use it. If you want to make a virus to steal info, you don't make it attack mac or linux because not that many people use them, you'll have way better luck hitting up a windows box. People make the assumption that this means that Mac is more secure, same with linux but that isn't actually the case. When the macbook air came out there was a contest to hack it. The winners did it in 2 minutes, now that's pretty good.

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9905095-37.html

So far, two years in a row at this contest the guys were able to hack the mac but as of yet no one has been able to hack the ubuntu or vista boxes during these competitions. This sucks because it lends itself to a false sense of security running anything not windows but once the mac is popular enough, there will be exploits and the first ones will hit hard, harder for the fact of this sense of security.

The key to computer security is just to avoid being dumb. People get "hacked" because they go to the wrong sites, click randomly on links without checking them, etc, etc. Same with adware. Most p2p programs come with adware and that's how they get onto most pc's but you can avoid that by not using them. Basically, if you know nothing then until macs are mainstream, you are safer using one but if you feel like being a tiny bit cautious then you'll be fine and don't really need a virus scanner or some such. Don't open email attachments, general rule, things like that.

Now, I've never used Mac, although leopard just finished being mine, all nice and prepatched to run on a PC so we shall see.

Edited by Guest

In particular I was responding to this statement you made:

Basically, if you don't use your pc for gaming, you might as well use a mac.

Sounds like your advocating people dump their PCs for a Mac. If not then I'll stop.

In a sense, I don't see any advantage with a PC these days. For me, gaming used to be the advantage of having a PC, but since that world is mostly dead and consoles are the focus for gaming, I don't see any advantage with a PC. At least with a mac, there is a new sense of discovery and quite honestly, the packed in apps are quite fantastic. Garageband is great fun to play with and if you have any video, iMovie is pretty damn sweet. It's much better than windows movie maker now.

Can I add that things do just plainly work. We have been running an iMac G4 at home since 2001. Don't need to run virus or spyware software. Never had a problem. When you plug USB things in they work.

wanna explain to me why my sandisk usb memory card hub won't show up on my mac? I have to plug my camera in directly in order to pull images off the sd cards. that sucks because I forget to turn off my camera once the photos have transferred and the battery discharges on me.

Can I add that things do just plainly work. We have been running an iMac G4 at home since 2001. Don't need to run virus or spyware software. Never had a problem. When you plug USB things in they work.

wanna explain to me why my sandisk usb memory card hub won't show up on my mac? I have to plug my camera in directly in order to pull images off the sd cards. that sucks because I forget to turn off my camera once the photos have transferred and the battery discharges on me.

Mike's taking on both sides now. Awesome.

Mike's taking on both sides now. Awesome.

well fuck' date=' I am on both sides. I have a PC and a Mac.

[img']http://www.adblogarabia.com/wp-content/ImAMacImAPC.jpg

Well the only thing that I can think of, and only because it happened with me, is that your SD Card (Im gonna make a bunch of assumptions here because I have no details) is actually an SDHC card and your hub will not read SDHC cards properly. When you plug the camera in directly it provides the SDHC interface.

I have a similar problem with my Canon SD850is. If I use a regular 2GB SD Card in it. I can stick that card in my Card Reader and have no problems. When I use my 4GB card which is actually and SDHC card my card reader wont recognize it. If I plug the camera in directly it will. I actually bought a lil Pocket SDHC reader which eliminated this problem for me.

Well the only thing that I can think of' date=' and only because it happened with me, is that your SD Card (Im gonna make a bunch of assumptions here because I have no details) is actually an SDHC card and your hub will not read SDHC cards properly. When you plug the camera in directly it provides the SDHC interface.

I have a similar problem with my Canon SD850is. If I use a regular 2GB SD Card in it. I can stick that card in my Card Reader and have no problems. When I use my 4GB card which is actually and SDHC card my card reader wont recognize it. If I plug the camera in directly it will. I actually bought a lil Pocket SDHC reader which eliminated this problem for me.[/quote']

holy shit. you're right. When i replaced my stolen SD cards, I had done research and found that I should be using class 6 SDHC cards for my nikon D80 (and be ready for any HD video cameras). So that's what I'm trying to hook up. Is there a driver or do I need a new hub/interface? The cards do get recognized with my Vista machine though and I didn't have to install anything.

Ubuntu sux ass.

EDIT TO ADD: I just realized that one of my SDHC cards came with a USB thingy. I plugged the card into that and then into my USB hub and my iMac is receiving the images now. Apple is off the hook now.