Jambands.ca

"Are cellphones ruining the concert experience?"

MarcO

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasting hours and hours every week staring at the television like a zombie.

Why does watching TV make someone a 'zombie'?

There's no crime in being entertained.

I'm not talking about watching a little tv here and there....many people turn on the tv to find something to watch. But when you don't have a television, you find other things to do. But the fact is, most people have never lived without a television and do not understand how it changes a home...like Captain said, your living rooms center is the television.

I like watching people watch tv...and they do look like zombies, especially if there are 4-5 people watching together.

I watch movies...and I have rented television programs on dvd...I'm not removed.

talking i can understand...it's annoying...

but artists bitching about photos and videos fans are going to cherish and share with others...c'mon, get your heads out of your asses...it's obvious fans are "in moment" that they want to capture it...

i saw a great pic of fans snapping photos in a magazine or book this week...i cant remember where or in what mag, as i was in a bunch of airports. anyhow if someone sees it can they note where the pic is and respond, please? the fans are obviously in the moment! they are in photo/concert delight!

i found this pic online instead...not really the same but great pic.

101520071235254088.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Malene Arpe

Pop Culture Columnist

I'm curious how many low-res cellphone photos of Leonard Cohen are enough. Thirty? 50? 100?

Judging from the people in front of me at Friday's concert at the Sony Centre, there obviously is no limit. I'm also curious how it is that someone would pay $250 for a ticket and then watch the entire show through a cellphone.

Last weekend's Cohen concert, the first of four Toronto shows, was one of those highlights-of-your-life type things. Star music critic Ben Rayner called it breathtaking. I will add that there was a lot of crying. From myself as well as from many grown men in the audience.

The show was moving and beautiful and more than anyone could have hoped for. Except for the constant lights from the bloody phones as photo after photo after photo was taken.

Believe me when I tell you that the man in the spotlight did not have any wardrobe changes. Nor did he perform any card tricks. Or dance. Or do handstands with monkeys. The first picture you took will closely resemble the last, you no-consideration-for-other-people idiots.

Next time you go to a show featuring someone truly great, try this: Sit your ass in your chair and just listen. Be. Enjoy. I know this may be difficult for you to understand, but it will all still have happened even if you don't obsessively photograph it. And if you don't leave with 100 grainy pictures of an old man wearing a hat, your evening – and not unimportantly, mine – will have been better for it.

They haven't bothered me to be honest, then again, I'm usually paying attention to the show, not the people around me.

Although, I did expirence some annoyance (indirectly) due to cell phones I guess, but it was the people I was with continually complainig about it & taking time to bother me with "look, another idiot on a phone during the show" instead of just having fun.

As for people using them at festivals/parking lots, meh - I really don't care enough to concern myself with what other people are doing, I'm there for the music & party not to meet or watch people.

To add, I actually find people with cameras to be more of an annoyance, since they are either pushing people around or bothering you asking to "squeeze by" while showing their camera to you as if it is some sorta pass to get closer to the stage.

I was at Canada's Wonderland on Sunday. You know when the ride comes to a stop and there's that 30 second wait before you get trucked back into the loading area? People were actually getting on their cells for those seconds and calling their friends - ON THE DAMN RIDE!! sheesh!

When I'm at a concert, I'm not interested in talking to anyone who isn't at the show - I'll talk to you when I get home. Because my cell phone is my work phone, I'm on it all the time. So when I'm out at shows, I want that thing FAR away from me!

It takes away from the concert experience...al those screens are ultimitely distracting. like mini screens by the stage...

As far as cell phones while driving, they give us someone and something to blame since we've replaced 'accident' with 'collision'

this world of logic is destroying the world of chancce and magic that is the incluseive force that we all deserve.

Making decisions and judgements based on mathematical chance, predisposition, and probabilities gives us an opportunity to set the scene without having to fully understand the moment or even care about it.

It's a cop out and most people are fine with that.

If it's your time it's your time.

But when you're in a concert it's time for you to be at the concert paying attention, as when you're driving it's time to be driving and not mindlessly talking on your phone or drinking a six pack.

Cause if it's your time and you weren't paying attention you're gonna look like a real fool...and if it's the other guy's time you're gonna be a real asshole.

It's not as far-fetched as it seems. As more and more concertgoers fiddle with cellphone cameras and fidget with BlackBerries, some people say mobile technology is ruining the concert experience.

"It's extraordinarily irritating," says Roger Waters of Pink Floyd fame. "All these people holding up these horrid little squares of bright light."

"It's like they're not even there," says jazz guitarist Bill Frisell. "It's like, 'Why don't you put that away and listen to the music?' "

This is a reality shake right there. Basically, if you're more concerned with capturing the moment with a digital device that can't really experience the moment like your brain can, you're missing a fuckload of memories that are very powerful.

Anytime I have managed to get photo credentials for a live show, I am very focused on getting the best pictures I can get and that means taking my focus away from the moment. A show that only allows photos for 3 songs is great because you are not allowed to use your camera after those tunes so you actually enjoy the show. However, when I've got my camera gear and I don't have to put it away, I really really really have to force myself to put it away or I'll just run around with my camera the entire night and realize later that I've not fully experienced moments that I should have.

Cellphones allow people to get distracted as long as they have memory. But the quality that you get out of these things isn't really worth the effort for the most part. However, I am glad that this technology is around, because there have been some great Youtube vids posted from things that you would never have seen any sort of video come out of.

Well said.

Tim