Jambands.ca

Any good books?

SolarGarlic

From what Im seeing at the store lately A New Earth by Ekhart Tolle is apparently life changing... if you dig it he wrote a Power of Now as well...

There is a great story making the rounds of youtube called the Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.. i believe thats the spelling... he is a university prof in the states and was diagnosed with cancer and desided to give one "last lecture".. 300 people showed up and its a look towards positive thinking...

Who owns Canada now looks to be an interesting read as well but i havent had a chance to give it a good look...

I just finished Tim Harford's new book, "The Logic Of Life: The Rational Economics Of An Irrational World" (he's the guy who wrote "The Undercover Economist"). It's basically a look at the hidden logic behind seemingly irrational decisions that people make in everyday life. The guy's an economist, but not of the stockmarket variety. It's quite an engrossing book - and to get you hooked, he starts off with a chapter about blow jobs. What else could you ask for?

Nonfiction:

I finished Hippie by Barry Miles a few weeks ago.. It's just a narrative of stories, history, quotations, as well as hundreds of photos highlighting 1965-1971. It's super interesting and I love all the pictures..

hippieb1.jpg

Nonfiction-ish:

I enjoy Carlos Castaneda's books: The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge -and- A Separate Reality. These are supposed to be non-fiction, but this has been a topic of debate since they were published. Lots of descriptions of peyote, mushrooms, etc., and very entertaining!

The_Teachings_of_Don_Juan.jpg

381px-A_separate_reality.jpg

I preach the shit out of this book to everyone I know and it's by far the best non-fiction i've read in years.

Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortensen/David Oliver Relin.

I've posted about it on here before but seriously, give it a shot. It's the true story of an American mountaineer that fails on his attempt to climb K2 in norther Pakistan, goes into serious oxygen deprivation mode and is saved on the mountain by local villagers... inspired by their kindness, he vows to go build them a school. The book details how he goes on to found the Central Asia Institute, a non-profit agency that has built over 100 schools in northern-Pakistan and Afghanistan. It's one of the most inspiring books I have ever, EVER read and anyone who I've convinced to read it since agrees. It's just bloody awesomeness.