Jambands.ca

Ex-Phish frontman gets reduced sentence for drug charges

Kanada Kev

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/05/22/arts/NA-A-E-CEL-US-Trey-Anastasio.php

Ex-Phish frontman gets reduced sentence for drug charges

FORT EDWARD, New York: Former Phish frontman Trey Anastasio received a reduced sentence of three years' probation for a drug conviction after he successfully completed a counseling and treatment program.

The musician had pleaded guilty to a felony charge for possessing painkillers without a prescription during a traffic stop in December 2006. He faced up to three years in state prison if he failed the drug program, which he began in April 2007.

The 43-year-old's guilty plea was reduced to a misdemeanor Wednesday because he will graduate the drug program next month and has completed community service. He spent two days in jail in January for missing a scheduled drug counseling session.

Edited by Guest

Another article

Charges reduced against Anastasio

FORT EDWARD - The former front man for the jam band Phish had his felony drug charges reduced to a misdemeanor Wednesday.

Judge Kelly McKeighan told 44-year-old Ernest "Trey" Anastasio that he's "done great" in drug treatment court before sentencing him to three years probation.

Anastasio was pulled over in Whitehall in December 2006 with more than a half-ounce of prescription painkillers Vicodin and Percocet, the anti-anxiety drug Xanax and a quantity of heroin. He initially pled guilty to felony drug possession and was sentenced to drug treatment court.

Now with Anastasio about to graduate from that program, the district attorney recommended the felony charges be dropped and Anastasio pled guilty to a misdemeanor.

"I think it's an excellent program and I think it was a privilege to be a part of it. And the effect on my life has been profound. I'm very, very grateful for what's happened," Anastasio said.

Anastasio has been living in Saratoga for the past year because he had to be within an hour's drive of Fort Edward so he could take random drug tests.

Three years probation is typical for a first time drug offender.

doc48349145a81d6333179253.jpg

Ernest 'Trey' Anastasio, who was arrested in Whitehall on drug charges in 2006, appears in Washington County Court in Fort Edward Wednesday afternoon May 21, 2008. Anastasio was sentenced to 3 years on probation Wednesday after a felony guilty plea he entered last year was vacated in Washington County Court.