Jambands.ca

Documenting a Web Site?

\/\/illy

Anyone know a good tool to document all the pages on a web site? For example I have the URL (say www.abc.com), and I'd like to be able to list and even save all the active pages from that site.

Basically I have a customer who's web designer has gone belly up and I'm trying to snag a copy of their site for them before the servers get turned off in whatever forgotten room they're still running in.

I remember that there used to be tools to download entire websites for offline viewing quite a few years back. You could define how many levels deep to dive. However, since most sites are database driven, and require alot of user interaction to customize content, I can't see how they would be very useful these days. That's probably why everything we might find here is really old looking.

http://internet-soft.com/extractor.htm

http://www.tenmax.com/teleport/pro/home.htm

Basher is right the best thing to do is ftp it off the sever. The important part is to get the code. When you save the content of the page all you are saving is what the page looks like. Thats only good if you want to copy what the old site looks like. But you still need someone to right all that code again for you.

mattm here...

the designer or the host company has gone belly up? What's the domain. Do a whois on the domain to get the nameservers. Do a whois on the nameservers to get the host company. Get into contact with the host company. Actually, have the customer get into contact with them as they will most likely have to prove they own the site.

That's if the customer doesn't know the un/pw for the site. If they do, ftp like the others said.

Edited by Guest