Jambands.ca

FREE HAMBURGER DAY

AD

Yuk, fast food. If I want free hamburgers I'll pay for the lb of ground beef and make them here at home like always but the idea is cool for those that do eat the fast food. Was it at all harvey's and was there some sort of deal, like having to get something else.

You know, it's pretty crazy that we have so much food a restaurant can give it away when all over the news I read about how hundreds of millions of people that were just poor are now going to be starving because of a lack of food.

haiti.jpg

(Food riot in Haiti, one of many)

You know, it's pretty crazy that we have so much food a restaurant can give it away when all over the news I read about how hundreds of millions of people that were just poor are now going to be starving because of a lack of food.

There's no lack of food, there are logistical and political problems and skyrocketing prices. The food is there to be had, but no-one can afford it. (Not to mention that in many places it is illegal to, say, fish in the local waters unless the catch is designated for export). It is more lucrative to sell grain to the Western world to burn as combustible fuel than to feed the local population. The people working hardest in the fields, surrounded by food all day, are the hungriest.

I likes me some Harvey's. I would have totally been on that if there was one local. The gasoline would probably cost more than the burger ..

[The gasoline would probably cost more than the burger ..

10 points. Not even counting 'Drive Thru'!

The quality of meat at fast food joints aside, (Fucking disgusting) and I've never read Fast Food Nation or watched Super Size Me (not that you have to) but i'm amazed by the resource allocation necessary to make fast food work. A shitty meal provided in mere seconds.

And one day only - all for free.

Those pickles that Harvey serves up are pretty freaking tasty I'd have to say. I inquired to the type as I was almost certain they were some sort of special 'Strubs' batch. Apparantely, according to the burger slinger I asked, they are made by a different company that supplies Harvey's with their condiments. The name eluded said employee at the time of questioning, so I just made him throw me a wack more of those tasty dills.

mmmm, caribou sounds good, ever tried bison? It makes extra lean ground beef look fatty and has fairly nutritious compared to other meats not to mention taaaaaaaaaaasty.

http://www.beechhillbison.com/buffalo_nutrition.html

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/buffalo_meat.htm

Saslove's has bison as well as lots of other tasty meat and if you hit up the wellington store (westboro), it's almost all organic (costs a fortune but anyone who eats organic can tell you how much better it tastes, not just meat either).

http://www.saslovesmeat.com/

Bison/Buffalo is great, a friend's family farms the a few amongst their cattle, great stuff (we BBQ'd up 6lbs of bison at CTMF in 2001) although its been a few years since I enjoyed any.

Usually every march or april (since 1997) I get a some caribou & musk ox sent to me from a friend in the Yukon, this year it was all caribou, which we finsihed this afternoon, now we're left with three dozen moose burgers or so from last fall's hunt...looks like we got one good BBQ left and the summer just began.... 028ws9.gif

i luv that this went from harvey's to real game. When I discovered the flavour of game meat, I went crazy with it. I've not picked up any bison or other game meats in a while and this talk is now inspiring me to get something cooking for next weekend on the old weber charcoal grill. I forgot how much I love the game.

In fact, I'm going to a bbq cookoff at a friend's place (who happens to be vegan!) in a couple of weeks so maybe I could do something with bison.

I think it will really come out great over the real charcoal grill action.

goddamn living in Nanaimo!

I hear you, brah. I was going to post a similar lamentation about living on the West Coast in general. Being a veggie I don't eat much fast food, but Harvey's can do the trick the morning after a few pops. There are A&Ws a plenty out here, but not so much on the Harvey's.

If I want free hamburgers I'll pay for the lb of ground beef...

Uuuuhhh, Matt? I have nothing but good things to say about you, but I don't think you quite understand the concept of "free" in this case.