Jambands.ca

Trey hints at Phish reunion...

Patchoulia

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly enjoy other bands, but "that feeling" started and ended with Phish. Here's hoping it starts again...

I understand you completely....but "that feeling" is not possible for me anymore, due to two huge factors:

1. The band is not the same...what made it so crazy at the time was just how "out there" and creative and original they were, in their song writing and their jamming....I don't think they could ever again be considered as fresh and mind blowing as they were, not in my mind anyway.

2. I am not the same person I was 10 years ago... that feeling of being a "tour rat" and sacrificing so much to go see them (I bought my ticket for 12.31.97 3 times....2 scalped tickets that turned out to be "bad" and then a real one all for $100+ US each when the exchange was like 150%...I couldn't afford it and didn't give a fuck) will never be the same.

My point is that my experience could never "start again", I could go to a show and enjoy myself, but that whole experience is a closed chapter in my mind.

And to MarcO, I certainly don't throw on their albums anymore, but every once in a while when I am in the right frame of mind I still love listening to Nassau Jam while I am driving. Damn that shit grooves.

every once in a while when I am in the right frame of mind I still love listening to Nassau Jam while I am driving. Damn that shit grooves.

that said, can anyone point me in the direction of sbd great went recordings, specifically day 2 set 2? i need to get that digitally.

It was fun. It might be fun again. But the "special" was leftover Jerry.

Hell, wasn't phish's biggest bust out after 1995 when they did Terrapin?

Yeah, maybe. I was never lucky (old) enough to see the Dead but was lucky enough to see Phish 8 or 9 times. I can understand that the lot scene may have been "Leftover Jerry" but what that has to do with Phish's music I don't understand. The crowd and scene was fun but I was there for the music and the shows themselves. I'm pretty sure Phish were well on their way to a long and successful career before 1995. Again, just my opinion.

Edited by Guest

I consider REALLY lucky to have caught nero when I did; first show was The Whipping Post and last show was Maverick's. I relate all my nero experiences to a very unique and special time in my life. Coming from where I did (smalltown Canada) it was like a pilgrimage to go see shows and when I was not at a show and ran into someone else who was into the band, it was a special bond that could be shared, a nudge, a wink, a "they get it too".

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to take anything away from anyone else!!! But after listening to some "post-hiatus" shows and seeing some DVDs like Live at Barrymore's with moe. ....I am very happy to leave my memories of seeing nero intact as they are. I don't think the magic that happened for me in 01-02-03 can ever be recreated...

:P

Like I said, to each his own. Unfortunately I never saw the Dead, so FOR ME, that feeling started and ended with Phish.

My sentiments exactly, and those from peipunk. They will always be the high watermark, and unfortunately I'll never experiece it the way it was again- it was a time and place for the band, and for me.

I'll go see a show or two; but it won't be the same. Fun but not the same. It was the experience of being inside the whole thing for a few years, touring, selling crap, trading tapes in the mail, having to actually search for info, that mail order nonsense we used to put with, and of course four guys that loved it more than we did.

I was glad they stopped when they did, and I suppose I'll be glad if they come back. But I'll never float off the ground the way Sand made me fly at Cypress for example.........

S

I still:

~Love the band Phish and the music they made. For me to say that chapter has ended and i don't listen them anymore would be the same as MarcO or Morgan saying they don't listen to the Dead anymore (and i know they do ;) )

~Play Phish Albums and Concerts all the time (once a week or so) because i still can't find anything better.

~Want Phish to reunite. No one out there can say with any certainty that Phish is dead. Sure they're not the same band as they were, but i don't hear anyone complaining about Phil and Friends playing Viola Lee Blues, a song they began playing in the 60's that they didn't even write themselves in the first place.

~Believe i'm not the same person as before as Punky mentioned, but i'm A LOT wiser and i've found that over the years this has helped me to enjoy my concert experiences even more. There is something to be said about better planning and preparedness....fuck, i don't even really remember my first 2 Phish shows...only driving to them.

~Think Trey has a lot of creativity in him and with the right ensemble can blow anyone out of the water with his music, he just needs to stop feeling pressured to make the music and let it flow out of him like it seemed to so many years ago.

Here's hoping :)

Don't you think the scene surrounding Phish will have changed though? We won't be walking right back into the same group of kids that were there the first time around because they have grown up just like we did. I predict the whole scene as well as the band will have matured.

It was fun. It might be fun again. But the "special" was leftover Jerry.

Hell' date=' wasn't phish's biggest bust out after 1995 when they did Terrapin?

[/quote']

Yeah, maybe. I was never lucky (old) enough to see the Dead but was lucky enough to see Phish 8 or 9 times. I can understand that the lot scene may have been "Leftover Jerry" but what that has to do with Phish's music I don't understand. The crowd and scene was fun but I was there for the music and the shows themselves. I'm pretty sure Phish were well on their way to a long and successful career before 1995. Again, just my opinion.

I"m not making my point properly here. I don't mean it to be a big schlong who saw the dead who didn't, who saw brent etc. post.

What I mean is the "special feeling" has a lot to do with the frame of mind of the audience. "While the music plays the band". a la Phil saying it couldn't happen without the fans at the show bouncing it back. The group consciousness etc.

Sort of what PEI Punk was saying. I don't think that attitude or group consciousness was around post-hiatus. And really, I don't think that the attitude that was around Phish from 1994-8 or whatever, was born from phish. I was there. I was caught up in it. It was the greatest thing in the world. But in sober second thought, I wonder if it actually was ever though - or if it was left over from Jerry. By extension then, I wonder if it could ever come close to what it was because there isn't the Grateful Dead to follow.

Now musically it may be different. I don't play music and that may devalue my opinion. Hell, I love WSP and that may devalue my opinion (all my musician friends seem to think it does).

But I'd be shocked if 20 years from now there were many bands listing Trey and Phish as their top musical influence.

How's the Dr. John go, "must've been the right place, could have been the right time"

One last note. The lots and scene has everything to do with the music. Think about the eras of phish that are enjoyed. Think about what people were doing in the lot, and at the shows, and likely on stage at the same time. There is synergy there... (incidentally, its why a damn lot of "the Dead", phil, etc. etc. sucks! lol)

Don't you think the scene surrounding Phish will have changed though? We won't be walking right back into the same group of kids that were there the first time around because they have grown up just like we did. I predict the whole scene as well as the band will have matured.

The question is does "matured" = no fun??? ;)

Seems to be alot of common sentiment coming up so I'll keep it brief.

I think alot of our thoughts actually have less to do with music more to due with age/maturity/station in life. Most of us can't tour anymore, having too many responisibilites. Of course our music tastes shifted. Otherwise, I'd still be going to Bon Jovi concerts. And I know that it will never be the same, but as I learned the hard way two weeks ago, you'll never be able to do things the same way you did them ten years before.

That being said, whenever my ipod shuffle throws me a Phish tune, it ALWAYS brings me around. The boys return will be all about nostalgia and quite frankly, I'm OK with that too. Better than trying to live up to 1997 every night. And when the tour swings through Toronto, or Buffalo, or wherever, I'll still give all of you who claim its over as big a hug as ever, magic hat or no.

Go on. Pick a Hood. Any Hood. Find a comfy chair or place to dance. Try not to smile. Take the Harry Hood challenge today.

With all this Phish talk the past couple of days I broke out Bittersweet Motel for the first time in a few years... here's to bringing the energy back... even a one off would be good for my soul right about now...

you know... that place, its in your soul... ya that place!

i'd also like to add 'the mind set' the whatever, its all relative. for some of us the mind set was pre hiatus for some post for others it was a completly different band. looking back often you can say, oh dead 76-77 was better than 85/86 or whatever, but when your in the midst, it is completely different.

i will take the harry challenge later this week, and i offer anyone to listien to 2-28-03 (my favourite tweezer) and tell me there was no magic post hiatus.

Perhaps, but these things tend to be cyclical anyway. I would have a hard time believing that a huge percentage of the people who were on tour from, say '93-'95 were still around in '03-'04. Sure, people have grown up and moved on, but that was happening while they were still around as well. I suppose the question here is whether there are younger "kids" around who never saw them the first time(s) around who will start going to shows. For better or for worse, I think there absolutely would be.

With all this Phish talk the past couple of days I broke out Bittersweet Motel for the first time in a few years... here's to bringing the energy back... even a one off would be good for my soul right about now...

you know... that place, its in your soul... ya that place!

I know I could go for a heady "Long Cool Woman"->"Proud Mary" with "Thriller" set break music right about now.

i still love phish. when I hear them come up on Sirius or my iPod, I realize that no one touches them.

exactly, no one comes close and no one ever will

I suppose the question here is whether there are younger "kids" around who never saw them the first time(s) around who will start going to shows. For better or for worse, I think there absolutely would be.

sure there would, phish is magic and hart, you're exactly right. if you build it they will come, well, if phish plays, they will come, that's just it. how many bands to you know that have thrown a show which was bigger than any city in the state?

Edited by Guest