Jambands.ca

Cyndi Lauper, B52's, Indigo Girls...

Patchoulia

I think Ms. Lauper has long had a high reputation amongst, well, songwriters at least. And really, of the people that 'made it' in the early eighties only the truly talented escape being mocked universally now. The Eurythmics come to mind.

I can't think of a novelty hit Cyndi's done. Maybe She-bop comes close, but it's not really a novelty song is it? Novelty songs are things like Monster Mash, Yellow Polka Dot Bikini, and My Cat's On Crack.

Anywho, if I lived in Toronto I'd be all over it.

Well, me and Mrs. Stone Mtn will be there.

And I totally agree with everyone's positive interpretations of Cyndi--she's got a phenomenal voice and her songs are amazing. She's won Grammys and Emmys and Tonys for her work. And this whole tour is for a great cause.

Besides which, I can't wait to get my retro on! :D

I think "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" is either a novelty radio hit/video hit or could comfortably be claimed as either one.

I don't think I understand. Is "I Love Rock & Roll" a novelty hit? Or "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"?

I figure a novelty hit is a song that manipulates some element of pop culture into a catchy song, almost exclusively done by one-hit wonders and usually involving sound effects of some sort. Y'know, "One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater", "Seven Little Girls Sitting In The Backseat", "Witch Doctor", "Irving", stuff like that.

Cyndi Lauper's first single is a novelty song? Nope, I don't buy it. Bubble-gummy pop song geared towards a target audience perhaps, but not a novelty song.

Good lord love a duck...thanks for my late night memories...dancing around the house with my mum and sister to girls just wanna....grade school track events blaring rock n roll from our shoe box cassette player PLUS coming up with arobics routines to wake me up before....WOW.

Cyndi is cool. Face it.

hahaha...I on the other hand...ummmm...

Edited by Guest