Jambands.ca

TJ Ford Trade Machine

afro poppa

Not so fast afro poppa. Dude plays the same position as Bosh (ture PF), has $44 Million left on his contract (2 years), and has averaged 50 games played a season over the past 5.

I called in to the Sirius NBA show at lunch, and Mitch Lawrence absolutely HATED the trade from the Raptors perspective.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I acually don't hate the trade, as long as the Raptors do due diligence investigating O'Neal's health. Obviously, he would have to pass a physical for the deal to go through.

I figure, even if he is a total bust, you have a $23M expiring contract to trade next season. Those are gold in today's NBA.

Source: Toronto-Indiana deal off

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 3 hours, 10 minutes ago

Talks between the Toronto Raptors and Indiana Pacers about a trade that would have included Jermaine O’Neal and T.J. Ford fell apart on Monday afternoon, a league executive with knowledge of the negotiations said.

For the past two days, Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo had been pushing the idea of sending Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and the No. 17 pick in Thursday’s draft for O’Neal. For a few hours on Monday, there was a sense that the deal was close, but ultimately concerns over the damaged state of O’Neal and Ford were too much to consummate the trade.

The Pacers were concerned about Ford’s future with his past neck injuries, but were willing to start rebuilding without O’Neal and the $44 million owed him over the next two years. O’Neal played just 42 games a year ago, because of a left knee injury.

The trade would have given Indiana the 11th and 17th picks in the draft, allowing Indiana to take a point guard and a forward. The Raptors have been one of the league’s most active teams in trying to move up in the draft, and they’ve made no secret about their desire to move Ford and make restricted free agent Jose Calderon the point guard of the future.

O’Neal nearing trade to Toronto for Ford

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

19 minutes ago

NEW YORK – After on-and-off again negotiations, the Indiana Pacers are close to an agreement to send six-time All-Star Jermaine O’Neal to the Toronto Raptors for point guard T.J. Ford and the 17th pick in Thursday’s NBA draft, a league executive said Wednesday.

After nearly completing the deal earlier in the week, Pacers and Raptors officials needed to exchange more medical information on O’Neal’s left knee and Ford’s neck before finding a comfort level with the trade. It is believed both sides now are comfortable making the deal, and barring a last-minute change of heart, it’s expected to be completed within hours.

Toronto also will send Rasho Nesterovic and another role player to match up with O’Neal’s salary. O’Neal is owed $44 million over the next two seasons. He played just 42 games for Indiana a year ago with a left knee injury. O’Neal has expressed a desire to leave the Pacers for a contender.

Ford, who has a history of neck injuries, became expendable when Toronto GM Bryan Colangelo decided that he wanted to make Jose Calderon the franchise’s future at point guard.

The Pacers would now hold the 11th and 17th picks in the draft.

Now the question is would you rather gamble on a young Hibbert who may end up injury prone or do you stick with a proven injury struck player like O'neal who'll give you an all-star in 50 games? We know what Larry Legend prefers. Somehow I feel like we're getting the short end while Indiana uses us to revamp a desperately dissonant roster. I think people are discounting Rasho as a role player who can teach Hibbert how to win, and the gluttony of pointguards that they are using to trade with Portland for more missing pieces. I see the Pace making a major turnaround this year.

All reports are that O'Neal is healthy. He told AP yesterday that the extended time on the injured list last year was "a career move". He is also happy to be on the team, and clearly has something to prove to get one more nice contract after the 09-10 season.

I love this trade too, and as many noted NBA columnists/experts (Stan Van Gundy, Peter Vescey, Ian Eagle, Dee Brown, John Hollinger...) have said, this makes Toronto a contender in the East NEXT season. Many feel that only Boston and Detroit should be ranked higher than Toronto in the East, and that the Raps leapfrogged Orlando and Cleveland, while putting seperation bewtween themselves and teams like Atlanta and Philly.

Can't wait for Halloween!

No money. Team, as it stands right now, is complete. All that will be added is a min-$$ third-string PG and another min $$ guy.

From Doug Smith in the Star:

2008-09 RAPTORS

When all is said and done and official, this is how the Raptor roster is shaping up:

LIKELY STARTERS

Jose Calderon

He'll be around for a while

Anthony Parker

Veteran in final year of deal

Jason Kapono

Will be given shot at job

Chris Bosh

Getting some frontcourt help

Jermaine O'Neal

Trying to recapture career

THE BENCH

Roko Ukic

Long-awaited arrival will happen

Andrea Bargnani

In a clearly defined role

Jamario Moon

Needs to expand his game

Kris Humphries

The fourth big man again

Joey Graham

Will he break through this year?

Hassan Adams

Back in league after year in Italy

Nathan Jawai

Big Aussie will listen and learn

STILL TO COME

One player at least to get to league-mandated minimum of 13

And this, from RealGM:

2008/2009 Salaries, Cap, Luxury tax Threshold and MLE

Jermaine O'Neal $21,352,500

Chris Bosh $14,410,581

Jose Calderon $8,000,000 (estimate)

Jason Kapono $5,784,480

Andrea Bargnani $5,176,440

Anthony Parker $4,550,000

Kris Humphries $3,200,000

Roko Ukic

Joey Graham $2,449,184

Hassan Adams $711,517

Jamario Moon $711,517

Nathan Jawai $442,114 (not counted towards luxury tax)

(Jorge Garbajosa) ($2,000,000) (estimate)

Approximate Salary Total: $68,346,219

*If Garbajosa is signed to a contract in Europe, our cap hit will be decreased by one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran.

*From 06/07 to 07/08 the Salary cap increased by $2.5 million

*From 06/07 to 07/08 the Luxury Tax Threshold increased by $2,445,000

Projected 2008/2009 NBA Salary Cap: $58,130,000

Projected 2008/2009 NBA Luxury Tax Threshold: $70,310,000

Projected MLE : $5,356,000

Funds Permitted for Raptors Use: $1,963,781

Trog, I don't understand your premise. The Raps plan is to have a stable 9-10 man rotation this year. The starting line of O'Neal, Bosh, Kapono, Parker and Calderon, with Bargnani, Ukic, Moon and Humphries coming off the bench looks pretty darn good to me.

Many so-called experts are saying the Raps could very well be the second best team in the East.

Trog, I don't understand your premise. The Raps plan is to have a stable 9-10 man rotation this year. The starting line of O'Neal, Bosh, Kapono, Parker and Calderon, with Bargnani, Ukic, Moon and Humphries coming off the bench looks pretty darn good to me.

Many so-called experts are saying the Raps could very well be the second best team in the East.

I agree. Not every team can have a Big 3 like Boston or a Super Star like Kobe.

Looking at the Raps roster and then looking at the rest of the East I would say the Raps are definitley a playoff contender with a great chance of a top 4 spot.

As it turned out last year, the Raptors' so-called depth had a lot to do with the struggle the team had finding an identity. Guys like Kapono and Delfino had no idea when or if their minutes would come. Bargnani didn't know if he was going to be a starter or come off the bench. Humphries would play solid for a couple games, then not see the floor for the next 3. Calderon/TJ, well, you know how that went.

If you ask players what they want, aside from the general answer of "more PT", they would tell you they want a defined role that they can count on and fill.

The players on the roster will get that chance next season.

Here are the benches of the Celtics, Pistons, Magic and Cavs for last season:

Celtics:

S. Cassell, J. Posey, G. Davis, L. Powe, T. Allen, E. House, PJ. Brown

Pistons:

A. Afflalo, A. McDyess, R. Stuckey, T. Ratliff, W. Herrmann, J. Hayes, A. Johnson

Magic:

K. Bogans, K. Dooling, M. Gortat, C. Arroyo, A. Foyle, P. Garrity, JJ. Redick

Cavs:

D. Jones, J. Smith, A. Pavlovic, A. Varejao, D. Brown, D. Jones, B. Thomas

-----

As you can see, in most cases, the bench has little impact on the success of the team overall. The quality of your starting 5 is of the utmost importance, and that is why the Raps brass switched gears and took this approach.

Who's the backup pointguard now?

If Bargnani plays up to his potential... yeah right. I saw him defined as a player who is lazy on D, inconsistent on offense and who is often the most out of position on the floor, it was a role that the raps could have done without in the playoffs and it prevented a lot of pick and roll opportunities.

Kapono is an excellent player... in the playoffs, but he doesn't move his feet quickly on D, and he may not be able to give a consistent effort where the raps have been getting torched.

Parker is an excellent six or seven, but as a starter he leaves a dramatic hole against any big two or three and I'm also wary of the defensive efforts of moon.

Do you like the sound of a Barg's/Humph starting lineup cause we could easily see that for a couple of weeks should injuries coincide...

I'm skeptical.

Who's the backup pointguard now?

They've just signed Italian league PG Roko Ukic, their 2nd round pick in the 2005 draft. He looked good this past year in Europe and will be their back-up PG, unless of course they still go out and get another player or the unlikely chance that a summer league player beats Ukic out as the #2.