Jambands.ca

Bluesfest adds Snoop!

bouche

Bluesfest adds more stars to already brilliant constellation

Snoop Dogg, Michael Franti, Sean Paul in the mix

May 29, 2008, Ottawa – The Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest today confirmed the addition of Snoop Dogg, as well as Michael Franti & Spearhead to their festival program. Since the official line-up announcement in April, there have been a couple of adjustments, including the addition of Sean Paul and the regrettable cancellation of Dr. John, due to illness. Sean Paul, the worldwide ambassador of dancehall reggae, will be performing on Bluesfest’s Bank of America Stage on Sunday, July 13 at 7 p.m. And, Michael Franti—a perennial Bluesfest favourite—will be stepping up to the Roots stage in the July 8 time-slot, previously assigned to Dr. John.

As stated on his website, Calvin “Snoop Dogg” Broadus is a rare exception in the turbulent world of Hip-Hop. In a genre where big names come and go, Snoop Dogg has managed to stay tremendously relevant throughout his 16-plus years in the game and is an all-out pop culture icon. “I believe this is an excellent treat for our existing and eventual passport holders,” says Bluesfest executive director, Mark Monahan. “The Dr. John situation was unavoidable and, of course, we wish Mac all the best, but it was great news to hear Michael Franti was available.

The feedback about the program thus far has been phenomenal and adding these additional pieces to the puzzle reinforces the Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest as one of the pre-eminent music festivals in North America,” added Monahan.

Indeed, Ottawa Bluesfest fans of all stripes should be delighted that an already exciting line-up, just got better with the addition of Snoop Dogg and Michael Franti. Tickets for any one of these shows or 11-day festival passports are available on-line or at all Bluesfest ticket outlets.

See www.ottawabluesfest.ca for complete details.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm, anyone know why Dr. John will be sick in a month and a half? He's got shows scheduled right up until then. I did a half-assed search and he's still on the schedule for all the dates I looked into - no mention of sickness. He's also on NPR tomorrow night with The Hold Steady.

I was really looking forward to seeing him again. :( I could care less about Snoop and especially Sean Paul and Franti.

I had a feeling that there might be a crew of people interested in having a snoop night. So I posted this notice. I'm not sure where I got that from. I know franti and sean paul way off the radar, but snoop... doesn't he bring a party?

dr john I think she meant

where on the bluesfest page does it say snoop? Also can't find franti

Lol Edit:

from snoop dogg tour schedule:

7/6/2008

Tour

Ottawa, CAN

Lebreton Flats Park

Franti tour schedule:

Tuesday, July 08

Michael Franti & Spearhead @ Ottawa Bluesfest

MFS on the Roots Stage at 9:30pm, All Ages

www.ottawabluesfest.ca

BUY TICKETS

Edited by Guest

hmmm, anyone know why Dr. John will be sick in a month and a half? He's got shows scheduled right up until then. I did a half-assed search and he's still on the schedule for all the dates I looked into - no mention of sickness. He's also on NPR tomorrow night with The Hold Steady.

I was really looking forward to seeing him again.

I was thinking the exact same thing, and you saved me the search to confirm it. I figure he looked at his schedule, called his manager and said, "Cancel that Ottawa gig, I'm not fucking playing there again."

[Dr John] is sick of lawn chairs! har har

haha, exactly!

I wonder what the real reason is. I think Todd's interpretation / speculation likely bang-on. If so, it's a real shame Monahan had to outright lie in the press release. Really? He knows that he'll be ill in July? C'mon.

(If Dr. John really is sick, my apologies to everyone. I can't find any other mention of it though)

Guest Low Roller

Snoop will bring the party. Don't expect a classic or anything, but it will probably be a fun show if he decides to give a damn (unlike Wyclef oh so many years ago who sucked ass)

So who has been bumped on Sunday the 6th for his Snoopiness. The Wailers Maybe??? Will he be on the Rogers Stage after Primus??? I can see the Panic crowd getting a lot smaller if Snoop Dogg is playing opposite them at the same time. A lot bigger name draw for the Casual fans who just happen to be there to see whomever.

I can see the Panic crowd getting a lot smaller if Snoop Dogg is playing opposite them at the same time.

They don't have the two main stages in operation at the same time; main stage acts alternate between them, with no overlap.

Aloha,

Brad