Jambands.ca

Bell/independant ISP's relationship explained.

FunkyBeats

In this Decision, the Commission denies the interim relief requested by the Canadian Association of Internet Providers (CAIP). In regard to the process associated with the disposition of CAIP's application on a final basis, the Commission has set out the process in a letter to the parties to be issued on 15 May 2008.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2008/dt2008-39.htm

Edited by Guest

Cool. Let's hope Bell loses. I don't really download much any more, but that's partly due to Rogers killing my connection speeds on the torrents. If they lose I'll probably switch providers and then maybe I'll get the service for which I'm paying, but not currently receiving.

The last paragraph in that summary is a really good analogy as to what this is all about:

What Bell Canada is doing is tantamount to listening to telephone conversations for specific words, and sending a "BEEP" to disrupt a conversation whenever such a word is detected, forcing the person to repeat the sentence. The precedent, if allowed to be set, is very serious and would undermine the concept of a trustable common carrier in Canada.

Amen. You should switch anyways, Teksavvy have great customer service and can provide ways to defeat the throttle (as of today, that is). The best way to affect change as a consumer is to spend your money with companies that share your views on net neutrality.

FunkyBeats.