Jambands.ca

Euro 2008

M.O.B.E

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was all i could do yesterday not to hear the outcome of the holland game, almost have to crank up the music in yuor earphones on the way home from work and close your eyes as you walk along

I did the same thing for Ukraine vs. Italy from the last World Cup. Made it home, started up the tape... then about 30 minutes later, probably 5:30ish real time I heard car horns and knew the result. Bah.

That was one fucked up second goal!! Reminded me of Franzen crashing towards the net and somehow placing it in :)

ps - here's a great explanation as to why the first goal in the Italy v Holland game was legit. I was trying to explain to one of my Italian buddies at work why that player was IN the game still and you couldn't blow the whistle because he "might" have been hurt, or that he was out of bounds.

http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/news/kind=1/newsid=711341.html?cid=rssfeed&att=index

UEFA has emphasised that the goal scored by Netherlands striker Ruud van Nistelrooy in last night's UEFA EURO 2008™ match against Italy in Berne was valid, and that referee Peter Fröjdfeldt acted correctly in awarding it.

Not offside

UEFA General Secretary David Taylor was reacting to claims from some quarters that Van Nistelrooy was standing in an offside position when he scored the first of the Netherlands' goals in their 3-0 win. "I would like to take the opportunity to explain and emphasise that the goal was correctly awarded by the referee team," he said. "I think there's a lack of understanding among the general football public, and I think it's understandable because this was an unusual situation. The player was not offside, because, in addition to the Italian goalkeeper, there was another Italian player in front of the goalscorer. Even though that other Italian player at the time had actually fallen off the pitch, his position was still relevant for the purposes of the offside law."

Still involved

The starting point, said Mr Taylor, is the Laws of the Game – Law 11 – which deal with offside, whereby a player is in an offside position if he is nearer to his opponents' goalline than both the ball and the second-last opponent. "There need to be two defenders involved," the UEFA General Secretary said. "If you think back to the situation, the first is the goalkeeper, and the second is the defender who, because of his momentum, actually had left the field of play. But this defender was still deemed to be part of the game. Therefore he is taken into consideration as one of the last two opponents. As a result, Ruud van Nistelrooy was not nearer to the opponents' goal than the second-last defender and, therefore, could not be in an offside position.

Rare incident

"This is a widely-known interpretation of the offside law among referees that is not generally known by the wider football public," he continued. "Incidents like this are very unusual – although I'm informed that there was an incident like this about a month ago in a Swiss Super League match between FC Sion and FC Basel 1893. [it was] initially suggested that this [goal] was a mistake by the referee in terms of the offside law – the commentator later apologised publicly, as he didn't realise that this was the correct application of the law."

Law applied

Mr Taylor concluded: "So let's be clear – the referees' team applied the law in the correct manner. If we did not have this interpretation of the player being off the pitch then what could happen is that the defending team could use the tactic of stepping off the pitch deliberately to play players offside, and that clearly is unacceptable. The most simple and practical interpretation of the law in this instance is the one that is adopted by referees throughout the world – that is that unless you have permission from the referee to be off the pitch, you are deemed to be on it and deemed to be part of the game. That is why the Italian defender, even though his momentum had taken him off the pitch, was still deemed to be part of the game, and therefore the attacking player put the ball into the net, and it was a valid goal. The law in this place was applied absolutely correctly."

Kev thats the one most facked rule in the game. The defender can still play an attacker onside by being out of the field but if an attacker steps out of bounds is automatically offside and yellow carded for leaving the field without permission. If the Attacker is hurt and laying beyond the goal line with the permission of the referee, he is NOT considered part of the play and is not offside.

Offside might just be the most complicated rule in any sport.

If the Attacker is hurt and laying beyond the goal line with the permission of the referee, he is NOT considered part of the play and is not offside.

Yes, but he was knocked out by his own player (goalie) and would have sustained any "injury" from him. In no way should that call a scoring opportunity dead for the attacking team, imo. It would open it up to some classless players to fake injury and fall out of bounds to force an attacker offside. If it was an opposing player that physically knocked him off the field and injured him that would be different.

Compared to hockey, could you imagine if an attacking player fell behind the net and got a booboo while the defending team clears the puck back over the blue line. Then the attacking team comes back into the offensive zone and scores a goal but it's not ruled offside even though they had a player "injured" in the zone. Not fair at all.

When is a player not a player when they are playing? pfft.

Offside might just be the most complicated rule in any sport.

Agreed, but more in soccer :) I am impressed with the dramatic reduction in "diving" during these games so far. Much much better.

I think you misunderstood Kev...I was reversing the situation to explain what would happen if it was the attacker who was off the field and not the defender.

The referee did make the right call in that situation yesterday.

As far as diving goes...I dont see half the diving most people see. Soccer is a physical game and when you are running full out to catch a ball it doesnt take much to send you down. Especially shoulder to shoulder contact on those 50/50 balls.

Yes there is a dive here and there, but not even close to what people are claiming they see. I'd like to see all the people who talk about diving spend 90 minutes on the park with people who can play the game at a competitive level and see how much time they spend on their ass.

I play in the OSL Premier Division( Men's Amateur ) and let me tell you...most of the balls I go after leave someone laying face down or on their ass. And no its not simulation.