Jambands.ca

QotD: God— yes or no or maybe?

Davey Boy 2.0

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

although my hazey abstract viewpoint sees god as possibly the Sum of Everything, something akin to the collective unconscious but more encompassing...

Those are pretty powerful words, I love that. I used to always say 'no' if someone asked if I believed in God, though it felt untrue, but I understood that what they were asking wasn't what I was answering if I were to answer them honestly. I think I defined God, earlier in life, as 'that which is always outside of our comprehension'. God is dynamic then, if human comprehension is expansive, which I think it is. And I have arguments to make about this being what it means for mankind to be created in God's image (dynamism, growth, expansiveness) but they are a lot of hot air.

Or, put another way, once (and I only remember this because I saw in the 'recent documents' list on my computer that someone has been snooping through my old writing and re-discovered it that way .. hi babe! .. love you! :) )

'God is that horrible-beautiful elasticity which contains us,

even while we swell.'

Not sure if that is still exactly how I feel, but there are still seeds of that in my present perspective on this God meme that has served us so well and so terribly all at once.

I believe that the reality is so beyond our comprehension that "belief" should only be replaced with "wonder".

'xactly! It is the wonder that has propelled us. The belief is so passive as to be so easily subverted, and belief has in it the arrogance of 'knowing'. I know shit all. About anything. But I'm always game to explore. Everything.

the bibles are all fiction. period.

That's a bit harsh. Are you confusing truth with fact?

So I guess my answer to the QotD is: maybe yes.

It would be nice if this was just a yes no maybe thread.

I presume this thread started as a result of recent statistics being released in the media petaining to Canadians belief in God.

Quarter of Canadians don't believe in any God.

Like Ollie said this can and is going on forever in Jamband land....so here's a poll The Jamband God Poll!

Read how God is defined in the poll and weigh in. Good luck I hope you ?win?

Results will be available in a week.

Deeps

Man's arrogance has lead us to believe that we can define, identify and even communicate with a higher power, which coincidentally looks alot like us. I believe that the reality is so beyond our comprehension that "belief" should only be replaced with "wonder".

So maybe. But not by traditional (or any ) definition.

magicmushroom.jpg

The way God is defined in that poll is pretty stacked in favour of the final result you wish to see.

What is this, sunday school?

I am in fact interested in seeing if people believe in the traditional Christian definition.

I truly am not trying to sway anything here....so please quote the stuff that you find leading as per my attempt to phrase the question to represent the traditional Christian version of God and it shall be removed.

[color:purple]Maybe there will be another poll where one is asked in a different way if they believe....maybe even you could make that happen....wowzers...this is getting craaaaazzyyyyy.

What's the colour for smarmy?

'tradional Christian definition' I find troubling, as in its 2000 years that has changed sharply, dramatically, and often. Maybe we mean to be asking 'that thing which has been most popular the last few decades?' (which seems more fadism than traditionalism to my mind, but that may be nit-picking) I do think that I get what you are asking, though. Perhaps that could be made more explicit. Just thinking out loud here, though.

Further defining ominipotence is likely unnecessary...do you want that removed?

I'm not at all sure what you are asking here (sincerely, I'm not being sarcastic, though I anticipate that it is going to look like sarcasm)

I wouldn't say that all bibles are fiction...there probably was a guy named Jesus who was a prophet, a carpenter and was crucified, but he probably didn't turn water into wine.

Same with the Quran, a Message from Allah to humanity through the prophet Muhammad...Muhammad probably existed.

We've just twisted the stories in order to be supreme rulers and have a reason to fight.

Look kids, there is no sane reason to beleive in a God - of any faith, creed, colour or manifestation. Oh sure, maybe it's comforting. Maybe it's reassuring. So what? It's a beautiful world. It's also bleak, unfair, tragic and unjust. The ONLY thing you can be sure of is, sure as you're born, you sure will die.

If you believe that Ronald McDonald spoke to you privately, telling you something only you - perhaps a few special others - have been chosen to hear, then you are hallucinating. You need mental help. No different, then, if Jesus gives you a guide in ife, no matter how inconsequential.

If you are willing to invest your life outlook and belief system on an edited tome of revisionist words assembled by people whose scientific conception of the world was comparable to what is now a Grade 4 level of education, then you are gullible, and probably just willingly stupid.

In 2008 we uphold "faith" as a virtue when in fact it is useless, dangerous, deceptive and incompatible with empirical truths.

There's a whole lot of things we may never figure out. Please don't fill the holes in with "God". It's a lazy and dumb thing to do.

Look kids, there is no sane reason to beleive in a God - of any faith, creed, colour or manifestation. Oh sure, maybe it's comforting. Maybe it's reassuring. So what? It's a beautiful world. It's also bleak, unfair, tragic and unjust. The ONLY thing you can be sure of is, sure as you're born, you sure will die.

Sure enough, and true enough. And sure enough, the God meme has been invested with all those same qualities (observe the dramatic transformation of the Judeo-Christian God alone, as an example). We lead ourselves through our projections just as certainly as we follow our own lead.

Part of development is outward projection and experimentation through those distanced symbols. Yes, because that makes the experimentation safe. Why the anger?

That's how we got here. It is also how we are going to get from here to there. Like it or not.